Home Technical Talk

Planning to buy a cintiq touch ...advices?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hello I am planning to buy a cintiq touch had 22 , any advices that I should be aware of? Like particular codes versions ? I will look for it on a cheaper site rather than main site but as happens sometimes they do sell slightly different version for some reason. So I was wondering what exact codes should I look for and be aware of or other things that are important...

Also my plan is to buy an extender of the linkage for the tablet from the pc , so to be able to work from. Ore afar than the desk ... Is that possible ? Is required only a usb cable extender?
Also is the glove important to get ?

Replies

• MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    I'd advice getting a glove yes. The screen gets warm causing your hand to sweat which makes your hand stick to the glass making it hard to draw smooth lines (for me anyway).

As for the touch, I'm not sure what you wanna use it for. But even though I never used it on a cintiq and only on my intuos5, I notice myself turning it off all the time. I was planning on using it to quickly zoom in and out and all that stuff, but I found it's not all that easy to do while holding a pen because it ignores touch gestures while a pen is near the surface. So I'd have to either use my free (keyboard hand) while removing my pen hand complete from the tablet or put my pen next to my tablet, do the gesture and then grab my pen again. Obviously this took way more time and effort than simply doing it the old fashioned way of using hotkeys.
    So unless you really wanna do finger painting I'd suggest you find a store and try it out before you get the touch.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've never thought that the touch feature was worth the huge mark up they charge for it. For the little Cintiq Companion, it's a great idea. On the large ones, I've never been sold.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Any. Special codes to look for?
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    On a site research engine for prizes I have found incredibly different prices for the hd 22 cintiq .... And I do not understand why or what's the trick behind?

For example some label DTK others DHT ... And the prices range from 1500 euros up to 2300 .... So what should I be carefull to when selecting from wich reseller order it?
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Dth is touch, dtk is non touch.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    there is no point in paying extra for touch, i got a intuos4 and never use that feature at all.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    ok not sure if I can post links but ...

for example this site features a competitive price , seems ... but where is thr trick?

It says

http://www.diwo.it/cintiq-22hd-touch/182203

cintiq 22 hd touch and dtk - 2241 1600 euros

this

http://www.fotodigit.it/scheda_prodotto-codPROD_88695.html

cintiq 22 hd touch and dth - 2200 1900 euros

this

http://informatica.yeppon.it/periferiche/tavolette-grafiche/dth-2200-garanzia/?utm_source=Trovaprezzi&utm_term=DTH-2200&utm_medium=comparatore&utm_campaign=cpc

cintiq 22 hd touch and dth - 2200 2200 euros

so where is the difference and why such a big stress in costs?

• NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Now I am quite undecided and confused on what to but for the similar prices....

A hd 22 touch ... Or a companion cintiq...

What scares me is the size screen of the later that I fear coudl be small for my taste as I wold like to use it mainly for zbrush , 3dsmax and photoshop.... But I like its remote working conditions....the first I like the size but I fear might bee too heavy and encumbrant to relocate at distance from my pc for working on the sofa , like 4 m from the pc..... Would love to get relaxed working on sofa watching tv :) ...
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    My opinion

Buy the 22 without touch and forget painting on your lap with it (theyre very heavy)

Companion wise....

The android one will be massively frustrating because it cant run any decent apps and will end up on your desk with you wishing youd just bought a standard 13

If you want mobile sketching I suggest you buy a 10/11" win8pro atom based tablet with wacom digitizer for £500(the dell is excellent). The drivers are sorted now so compatibility with ps / zbrush etc. Isn't a problem.

Itll give you a good taste of what life without a keyboard is like and how much use youll get out of a companion over the desktop equivalent.

Personally ive found my tablet to be great for quick sketching/speed sculpts but the lack of keyboard hinders any serious finished work. I suspect the same would be true on the wacom companion and given that you can get a cintiq proper and a tablet for less than the cost of the Companion I struggle to find a reason to own one (and I love tablet pcs).

If the next gen brings a fullscale windows based companion I can also use as a desktop cintiq then ill be interested.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    DOn't by a cintiq, buy an intuous, more reliable, more durable and having your arm rest on a surface and see the result in front of you instead of under your arm/hand with your neck leaning forward is much better for your health.

Word from a guy who's 24hd went 3 time to aftersale and won't buy a cintiq ever.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    MeintevdS wrote: »
    I'd advice getting a glove yes. The screen gets warm causing your hand to sweat which makes your hand stick to the glass making it hard to draw smooth lines (for me anyway).

As for the touch, I'm not sure what you wanna use it for. But even though I never used it on a cintiq and only on my intuos5, I notice myself turning it off all the time. I was planning on using it to quickly zoom in and out and all that stuff, but I found it's not all that easy to do while holding a pen because it ignores touch gestures while a pen is near the surface. So I'd have to either use my free (keyboard hand) while removing my pen hand complete from the tablet or put my pen next to my tablet, do the gesture and then grab my pen again. Obviously this took way more time and effort than simply doing it the old fashioned way of using hotkeys.
    So unless you really wanna do finger painting I'd suggest you find a store and try it out before you get the touch.

very informative. thank you! I too was wondering if I should save up for a touch model. But it seems touch looks better on paper than in practice.
  • knacki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    knacki polycounter lvl 11
    Kwramm wrote: »
    very informative. thank you! I too was wondering if I should save up for a touch model. But it seems touch looks better on paper than in practice.

Same from here, thanks!

So I willI stuck on my 21UX untill it dies.
    Bought it used several years ago.

I really like the eye hand coordination.
    Makes it much easier for me to draw digital and sculpt very precisely.
    But for rough general sculpting in i.e. zBrush its sometimes more comfortable to work on the intuos. Bought these three tools( a used A4 and a new A5 for mobile working plus used cintiq) for much less than one new cintiq costs.

I am not working daily with those tools so it's fine for me not to have brand new stuff.
    Maybe worth to consider?

The new wacom companion hybrid version won't help much in the 3D world as a computer, but hybrid means you can also use it as a normal cintiq when plugged on a powerful computer. Don't know anything about quality, just what is in the internet.

The price difference you mentioned between two 22hd touch.
    The dtk - 2241 is for more for presentation.
    1024 pressure levels etc. no touch as wacom site says.

As my used 21 ux....As surface pro etc.
    I have nothing with 2048 pressure levels to compare with. The internet says it's worth to have more pressure levels.

So it's time to look for something new (new used?)
    Slowly, without time pressure.
    Good to hear that the touch is not worth the big amount of extra money. ;)
  • Sinking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Buy a Wacom Companion instead. Amazing tools and you never need another tablet!
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    what makes the companion better than working with a 22 hd touch? apart the portability ofc ....
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    NAIMA wrote: »
    what makes the companion better than working with a 22 hd touch? apart the portability ofc ....

yeah, that's an odd suggestion, the portability is the only advantage. A cintiq or tablet will last you through many computer builds. I worked with a guy that used a weird pre-cintiq Wacom tablet screen, so it had to be over 7 years old and still working fine. With the companion the computer is built into the tablet so it will last you 3-5 years at most.