Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-fi hallway (Help)

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
d1spect polycounter lvl 4
Hey guys I just want to show something that I have been working on for the day. Please let me know any Ideas or opinions of things I can change or add, I want to try and figure out where this is going. I started with a basic texture pack so I haven't started upping to baking just yet. I just wanted to show what I have and maybe some of you will like it!

Thanks guys!!

hallway.jpg

Replies

• mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like a good start but I fee like there is not much going on. Think about how you can make it a lot more interesting. Computer monitors, cooling pipes/systems, wall lockers etc etc. Maybe replace one section of wall with a doorway or another hallway leading in a different directions.

Also the wall sections look very blocky, don't be afraid to go back to them and add more interesting shapes and details. The texture also does not tile very well because the vent details are the same on all of them.

Signs can also help make the place feel bigger and like its part of a larger complex. Good luck :)
  • JoshVanZuylen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 5
    The concrete supports look funny... What to you mean texture pack?
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    The pillars look a bit flat (do they have normal maps? Maybe add some specularity).

Also there's quite a lot of repetition going on. Consider adding a panel or some clutter to the walls just to break it up a bit. Think of things like access tunnels, ventilation, loose wires, cameras, etc.

I do like the colours you've used, however. The pillars sorta stand out to me as "not quite there". Play around with those strips and how they can further compliment the other colours in the scene.
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The floor is oddly shaped. Is that thing at the bottom like a rail system for something? If it's just a normal floor, you should think about what it would be like walking on it.

Right now there's a lot of elevation changes/grooves going down the hallway that would make it weird to walk on. Maybe you could put like a grate over the center, so your details could stay there but level out the pathway.
  • Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    What a horrible future, with this floor i fall endless on my face. :poly122:

The pillars looking wrong because they cut the metal walls. Maybe another wall texture like http://www.philipk.net/tutorials/materials/metalmatte/metalmatte.html this is better because its more "plate" like and a switch from metal ro concrete is possible. Your construction has the "unrealistic" feeling.