Warhammer Orc WOoo

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
SveinY polycounter lvl 6
Newest update
lUYKKkf.jpg
UbeVvHP.jpg
EQNonjU.jpg

New character I have started on for my portfolio gonna try to make a warhammer orc.

Reference I use for the model a concept by the awesome artist Ted Beargeon.
klKK0EX.jpg

This is quick start but its something I guess :P
CiqSceU.jpg

Replies

• DWalker
    Not a bad start, but the head, especially the lower jaw, is quite different than the reference. The jutting jaw in the ref gives him a much more menacing feel.
  • stickadtroja
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    in the side view, the head needs to be a LOT futher out from the body. look at the curve of the body in the concept.

front and back looks good though.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    pull the arms right forward, as far as you can.

think more gorilla anatomy and less human.
  • SveinY
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks so much for the crits heres a small update :)
    8xr0qaQ.jpg
  • SveinY
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    quick update again just some block out of stuff still some issues to fix here and there :)
    Pr3nCXf.jpg
  • _DeadPixel_
    Badass! Really liking this one.
    Few things I notice is the Ram's skull should have more volume, right now it looks kinda flat. If you could thicken it a little more it would add nicely to the silhouette.

It's kinda hard to critic anatomy of a fictional creature, but I think his knuckles should be wider than his finger width, as they are with Humans/Gorillas etc.
    His Brachioradialis muscles get really small and thin towards the upper arm, I'd make it a little bigger where it meets the Brachialis.
    You gotta think this is a huge Orc throwing an axe around all day, and they're the muscles he'd use to do it.

Looking great so far man, keep it up! :)

The muscles are circled here:

4579961434_369x363.jpg
  • sargentcrunch
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    you still need to pull the shoulders further forward, check the reference again!
  • tamrakar
  • SveinY
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you so much for the good crits and kind words :) haven't been focusing so much on him lately doing other projects too but have gotten around fixing some stuff gonna try to speed this shit up.
    lq0ondj.jpg
  • RogerP
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    This looks great dude, keep it up
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    yea man, keep at it! Got some really nice forms in there! I think it would look more natural btw to have the elbow back further from the side view. This would also give him a bend in the arms like there appears to be from the front view and actually make his arms a bit longer, which I think would be cool.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    muuuuuch better man. now you need to work on those back muscles, his lats are very very wrong... once you get that back nailed down this is going to look so boss.

i can't wait!

WAAAGH!
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    WAAGH! great looking orc, love to all orc character sculpts :)
  • Narlyteeth
    Offline / Send Message
    Narlyteeth polycounter lvl 5
    very good work. :)

orcs are much like ak47s, usually very cliche, but solid execution will make this one stand out from the crowd. you are doing really good work here. the muscle definition is very spot on. but I would have to agree with almighty_gir. the lats are very lacking in defenition compared to everything else. it almost looks like he has back boobs, which would work if he was obese all around, but he's ripped everywhere else. so I would just cover those with solid lat muscles like the ones that you see on body builders.

roelly_winklaar_bodybuilder_back_january_2011.jpg

keep up the great work! :)
  • SveinY
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    Hey back with new update :D and truly thanks for the encouraging words and a specially the crits it helps a lot!
    cBXt73e.jpg
  • SveinY
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    So update time... I got tired of looking at the orcs funky face so I started on the choppa not much right now it needs some more work same as the orc but I am getting there .... slowly :P
    SHjmmcg.jpg
  • Luke_Starkie
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
    I think the pectorials could use a bit more mass, and a reshape. Ive done you a paint over to show you what I mean. Basically just need a bit more rounding that's all and less striation I reckon.

tvri.jpg

Also Added some defining lines to the face of your orc, like under the eyes. Can still make him look 'angrier' While keeping the evil look.

But yeah anyways great work man, looks rad! Also by the way just been on your site and I love the doom stuff, well done!!
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    Be careful with the face, overkill of wrinkles will start making him appear more zombie like then anything else. Also I would suggest raising the head a bit, just enough to be able to see the top of it from the back view. This will avoid the back shot from looking like he is headless, and also in the profile of the concept shot the top of his head is higher then his huge back.

Love what you got though! Keep it up sir : )
  • chudork
    Offline / Send Message
    chudork polycounter lvl 8
    this is soo cool! :D I am big fan of warhammer orks!, I wanna do something like this in the near future hehe :D
  • SveinY
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    Thank so much guys! @ Luke_Starkie sry man but I have to agree with CandyStripes05 for the face I don't want to put way to much details there. Sometimes less is more is best. But thanks about the portfolio stuff too bad I ain't happy about most of it so I am going to remake some of those models.

Heres an new update :) still need to block out some other stuff on him like the cape and fur and so on but its starting to look like something now I guess :P and yeah I know the legs and feet are small but thats an warhammer orc for ya.
    ra5ZVT5.jpg
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Yo Svein this has come a long way, great work!
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Awesome stuff, keep up the good work!
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    looks good, keep going!
  • SveinY
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    hey back to this fatty I had to put him on ice but finally back now this is the low poly and bake :) and ofc the fur need more work tho xD
    UbeVvHP.jpg
    EQNonjU.jpg
  • Danglebob
    Offline / Send Message
    Danglebob polycounter lvl 15
    This looks great! As you said, the fur on the cloak needs work. looks a bit lumpy. go go go!
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    personally i'd say go with a wyvern scale cloak. suits the character more.
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    great work, cant offer any help with the fur but I agree that its gonna need some work, Gir's idea of wyvern scale could be really cool.

If you have the inclination I would consider reducing the slope on his face a little, and making the cheekbones almost vertical to bring it more in line with the concept, but also cos the profile, cheekbones and ears all follow the same angle at the moment, breaking that angle up could be worthwhile.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    looks amazing, cant wait to see the finished version!
  • X³²Lapis
    Offline / Send Message
    X³²Lapis polycounter lvl 10
    This is looking awesome!
  • SveinY
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    Wow thanks a lot ppl :)
    @ almighty_gir I may change the cloak if I cant get the fur right so thanks for the idea man. But it seems like the Warhammer orcs normaly just use fur cloaks tho :)
    @ seth. Thanks for the crit! I should have done it but I changed the face combining pics from other Warhammer orcs and the concept so its not a complete identical face from the concept maybe that was a bit stupid of me :/

Heres an really quick update. Only done some work on the diffuse and yeah the skin and bone need more color :D
    NJbJR5i.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    well... they wear the skin of the 'ardest thing they've killed. lowly orcs will have human skins for example, boar boys wear boar furs because orc boars are actually fucking 'ard. the biggest baddest black orc warbosses have been known to wear the skulls of enemy warbosses, wyverns, and used their skins to make banners and cloaks.

fuck me i'm a nerd.
  • SveinY
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    @ almighty_gir okey dokey smokey

Small update here.. I started a littel on the armor this is only diffuse and Toolbag default spec on :)
    4vVWjmI.jpg
  • SveinY
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    Just a mini update again been busy with art test and other stuff...I know excuses and excuses :P but I gonna finish this guy soon xD

Edit: And I need to fix more on the skin it looks way to much like wax and I think more yellow and some brow and a little dirt and stuff will do him good :)

SyEZqek.jpg
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    oh, fuck this is looking great. The only thing I can think of is I am not sure how that skull is attached to the belt area. Still though, this looks stellar.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Great job so far man, the materials on the armor and bone stuff are reading really well!

There are a couple of things with the anatomy that are bothering me tho.

-The rib cage area, I guess thats what its suppose to be (area above the abs in a half circle)... That just looks strange and off to me. I would smooth that out and give him a bit of a belly instead.

-The center of the chest is reading as bone more than muscle. Its those harsh cuts with the ao painted in. I would smooth that out and add some smaller muscle fiber details there to really sell it as muscle rather than hard bone or something.

-Perhaps the second ring of armor on the forarm (the metal ring there center of the forearm) doesn't really make sense. Since it is tapered in to match the arm exactly like that just doesn't seem natural if you think about how the armor would be made.

Anyway, small points there, overall its looking great dude!
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    the armor looks amazing dude. I think you overkilled the AO on the skin though, that could be cranked way down, esp one the face.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned the legs - they still look a bit stumpy to me for an orc, I'd imagine he'd be towering over other creatures but the legs make him look kinda short. Having said that I'm guessing it was a stylistic choice as you want to make him seem more top heavy to emphasize the burly look :)

You did a great job on him though and the armor/textures look sweet!
  • HonkyPunch
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    anything warhammer is more than okay with me (usually) and this looks great. Well done!
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Btw are you baking matcaps for the materials? I think Seth posted a workflow on his Pig dude ages ago where he baked polypaint/matcap to give a pretty cool metal look.
  • Javibcln
    Offline / Send Message
    Javibcln polycounter lvl 8
    wow man looks great! keep it up!
  • Alphavader
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    Great work dude ;) - can you show us some of your texturework plz?
  • SveinY
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks so much ppl!
    @ praetus Yeah when I think over it... it makes no sense how the skull is attached... lets say the orc had super glue :P
    @ BradMyers82 I will get right on smoothing out the rib cage area :) and thanks a lot for the muscle fiber details tip I will try to get that in the textures! When it comes to the second ring of armor ur totaly right but I don't know if I gonna fix that now but I may add some metal plates or something.
    @ lotet Thanks for the crit there I have seen myself blind on the skin but I will get right on setting the AO down at once :D
    @ Torch Yeah I wanted him top heavy as you said so I like the legs the way it is.. if I was going more realistic way I would have made the legs longer and bigger hehe and No I did not use any matcaps baking or magic just normal painting in PS :)
    @ Alphavader Heres an little cut out of the armor textures. My workflow is just have some base stuff from CG textures really low in Opacity then I paint over with some blue. yellow, brown, and a bit of red then scratches ofc the the colors is at a low Opacity in the diffuse but u can add more and crack it up in the spec. Theres nothing else I have done with the textures yet and its still a BIG wip on everything xD I will show more when there is more to show :P I hope this helps a bit at least :)
    N0bvWMh.jpg
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Yo Svein its coming along great, can't wait to see him posed and finished :D
  • Mephasto
    Offline / Send Message
    Mephasto polycounter lvl 4
  • Alphavader
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    very interesting - thanks dude!
  • SveinY
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    Hey hey I think I am about done now but I would like to know which lighting set-ups you guys like the best. More shots coming soon :)

lUYKKkf.jpg

mhz7n50.jpg
  • Sam Hatami
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami polycounter lvl 16
    Looking really good buddy! I think you could Try and add a bit more skin complexion in bigger forms.

Base is looking sexy!
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I really like the armor on this guy. If you don't care about polycount, you could try using shells for the fur.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    man that turned out super sweet! I like the second render.

small crit would be the fur, its looking kinda obvious that its just planes, and it dosnt really look attached to the armor/cloak either, that might be the angle of the render though.

overall its still super awesome, but the fur cape is definitely the weakest link atm.