Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Beginner M4A1 Model

heyguise. I'm pretty new to this forum and I'm pretty new to modelling as well.

Anyway here's my m4a1 model, its my 2nd gun model ever.

Just some questions tho
1. is the polycount low enough that it wont be hard to unwrap
2. if not where should i clean it up

also im just learning how to unwrap and ive already unwrapped and textured my first gun (it was a tommy gun so it was pretty basic shapes) so im gonna learn more and unwrap this in the future.

and of course, constructive criticism will help a lot!

n324pc.png

2l9lg86.png

315bjnq.png

34hckyu.png

Replies

• sargentcrunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sargentcrunch polycounter lvl 10
  • nosyT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The upper receiver is wayyy to tall...and like sargent asked, why the spikes?
  • mrWiLYAlvarez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the CC guys!
    The spikes are like a small addition to make it look kinda beast later when i unwrap..
    I'm not sure if I wanna redo it, but i may end up having to just to make it match with several of my m4 references.
  • Jorvid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Going to have to agree with everyone else, and say the spikes don't look right. I would suggest removing them, as they add a lot of unnecessary geometry and don't fit the style of gun. Since this is an early piece of your work, I advise you to try and keep it as basic as possible, yet still make sure to challenge yourself enough so you develop your skills.
    My advice is that you should try to finish this piece to match your current references, then revisit it later with the knowledge you've gained and try giving the gun personality. If you're going for a bad-ass grungy look, try adding makeshift attachments for the gun, such as a second magazine tapped on or perhaps a broken binocular used as a scope.

Also you definitely need to optimize your polycount. There's a lot of unnecessary polygons being used that don't add any geometry or could better just as easily be shown with a normal map.