Home Technical Talk

Zbrush - Unwrap UV's with Multiple Subtools Onto One UV Tile?

Joshuagilbreath
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Joshuagilbreath polycounter lvl 6
Due to lack of planning and time restrictions, I did not unwrap my UV's before moving my base character mesh into Zbrush for high poly sculpting. I am needing to project my detail from the high poly sculpt onto the low poly mesh via normal maps.

Not having my UV's unwrapped is holding me up from doing so. I am trying to us UV Master to unwrap my UV's. After I use UV Master my UV islands are separated onto individual UV spaces. I have been reading that you can do the following to combine the UV islands onto a single UV quadrant.

Is this process correct to unwrap the UVs to a single UV space?
  1. Use Transpose Master to combine all of your meshes
  2. Unwrap the combined mesh
  3. Use Groups Split to spilt the TM mesh into subtools
  4. Use UV Master to Copy/Paste the UVs to the original subtools

Thank you all!

Replies

• MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    If you're using v. 4R6:

1. Merge all subtools into one ( merge visible button is below of subtool layers)
    2. Pick the new tool (the polygroups should have been preserved)
    3. Go to UV master
    4. click Work on Clone
    5. While in clone tool, click "polygroups" button of UV master
    6. Click Unwrap for default unwrap or do control painting if you want to custom markup the seams (you'll have to click unwrap when done with control painting)
    7. Flatten to double check.
    8. Unflatten then click copy uvs.
    9. Go back to your original merged tool, not the clone, paste UV in UV master. It should copy over.
    10. If you want to break up your model into subtools again, use group split

It looks like a lot of steps but you should be done in a couple of minutes if you just want a quick unwrap and do no control painting.
  • Joshuagilbreath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    If you're using v. 4R6:

1. Merge all subtools into one ( merge visible button is below of subtool layers)
    3. Go to UV master
    4. click Work on Clone
    6. Click Unwrap for default unwrap or do control painting if you want to custom markup the seams (you'll have to click unwrap when done with control painting)
    9. Go back to your original merged tool, not the clone, paste UV in UV master. It should copy over.

It looks like a lot of steps but you should be done in a couple of minutes if you just want a quick unwrap and do no control painting.

Fantastic, thank you very much for the walk through! Really appreciate it!
  • Joshuagilbreath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    If you're using v. 4R6:

3. Go to UV master
    4. click Work on Clone

With this, how do I move the new UV set back to my mesh with multiple Sub-D levels?
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    I think that if you merge your subtools while you are at your highest subdivision they remain the subdivisions.
  • Joshuagilbreath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski wrote: »
    I think that if you merge your subtools while you are at your highest subdivision they remain the subdivisions.

I merged the high level sub-tools, and when I try to Unwrap the high res merged mesh I get an error listed below:

"Not enough memory to complete this unwrap. Split your model into different SubTools in order to reduce the poly count."

So what do you think?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    If your subtools didn't posses the same number of subdivision levels as each other, you probably lost the lower levels. Use tool: geometry: Reconstruct Subdiv as far as you can before unwrapping. For an easier time, make sure every mesh shares the same number of subd levels before subdividing, if possible.

If you still can't UV it because you have too many verts, then you're lowest subdivision levels contain too much geometry and should be retopologized first.
  • Joshuagilbreath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid wrote: »
    If your subtools didn't posses the same number of subdivision levels as each other, you probably lost the lower levels. Use tool: geometry: Reconstruct Subdiv as far as you can before unwrapping. For an easier time, make sure every mesh shares the same number of subd levels before subdividing, if possible.

If you still can't UV it because you have too many verts, then you're lowest subdivision levels contain too much geometry and should be retopologized first.

Gotcha, thank you for the advise. I'll go through my Subtools and see how my sub-d's look measure against each other. Appreciate the feedback.
  • starry91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    starry91 null
    i have a simular problem however my low poly has uvs my high poly does not how do i copy over these 
    i took my hp into 3d coat and got a lp off it i also gave the lp uvs im now in xnormals trying to get an id map etc but the uvs that come out are from the highpoly have i missed a step?

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    starry91 said:
    i have a simular problem however my low poly has uvs my high poly does not how do i copy over these 
    i took my hp into 3d coat and got a lp off it i also gave the lp uvs im now in xnormals trying to get an id map etc but the uvs that come out are from the highpoly have i missed a step?

The uvs cant come from the hp. You have one section in xnormal to enter the model info for hp and lp and for id maps you usualy have to check vertex colors if you have done a clown version of your hp but that would be projected onto the uvs of your lp.
  • starry91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    starry91 null
    kanga said:
    starry91 said:

The uvs cant come from the hp. You have one section in xnormal to enter the model info for hp and lp and for id maps you usualy have to check vertex colors if you have done a clown version of your hp but that would be projected onto the uvs of your lp.
    this is what i have done 
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Hi starry91. I think the only way that can happen is if you havent loaded the lp and hp into the right slots in xnormal, or if your models are not in identicle positions. Xnormal takes the surface information from the hp and arranges it using the uvs from your lp.

What I do is merge my character subtools in zbrush.
    Check colorize is on and export the merged model at top resolution to a hard disk.
    I have my lowpoly in 3dsmax that I built over a decimated version of the zbrush hipoly. The lowpoly and hipoly are in sync because before starting the project I set up the export settings in zbrush and 3dsmax (just using a cube in max) with GoZ.
    I use the decimated version of the character in Max as a reference for a projection cage over the retopoed lowpoly and export the lowpoly using the xnormal lowpoly export option in Max with projection cage checked (you get that when you install xnormal).
    I point xnormal to the exported zbrush hipoly model (an .obj) and the Max exported lowpoly (with uvs) and never have a problem.

I have xnormal open and I cant see where it can go wrong. There dont seem to be options that would cause the use of wrong uv sets as there is only a lowpoly and a hipoly button so that is why the models might be in the wrong place.
  • starry91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    starry91 null
    kanga said:
    Hi starry91. I think the only way that can happen is if you havent loaded the lp and hp into the right slots in xnormal, or if your models are not in identicle positions. Xnormal takes the surface information from the hp and arranges it using the uvs from your lp.

What I do is merge my character subtools in zbrush.
    Check colorize is on and export the merged model at top resolution to a hard disk.
    I have my lowpoly in 3dsmax that I built over a decimated version of the zbrush hipoly. The lowpoly and hipoly are in sync because before starting the project I set up the export settings in zbrush and 3dsmax (just using a cube in max) with GoZ.
    I use the decimated version of the character in Max as a reference for a projection cage over the retopoed lowpoly and export the lowpoly using the xnormal lowpoly export option in Max with projection cage checked (you get that when you install xnormal).
    I point xnormal to the exported zbrush hipoly model (an .obj) and the Max exported lowpoly (with uvs) and never have a problem.

I have xnormal open and I cant see where it can go wrong. There dont seem to be options that would cause the use of wrong uv sets as there is only a lowpoly and a hipoly button so that is why the models might be in the wrong place.
    omg so silly i know exactly whats happened when i was fixing something in Maya on the LP mesh cause it was all buggered up near the tail i moved it to centre it on the grid i forgot all about it having to be in the same spot positionally how would i fix this just take the hp model into maya and centre that aswell?

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Yes, taking it to Maya would be easiest. As @kanga said, if he is taking one model from ZB and the other from Max he makes sure he has set up his scale correctly between the two at the beginning of the project. This step has to be 100% or the baking will fail.
  • starry91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    starry91 null
    thank you so much guys i just have to figure out rexturing now thanks so much