Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK lighting experiment

Hello all :)

Just figured that I would share a little art test I started this weekend- lots of points for improvement, most especially the transparency on the window (if anyone has any cool ways of doing glass I would appreciate!)

I'm going to create a cubemap to get a nice reflection going on the floor.

It's just a little fun project to practice my lighting skills :) any feedback is always welcome.

tfzVeMY.jpg

(apologies for any bad jpeg compression)

Replies

• spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
    I wish I could help you with glass, but that is not anything I have tried before either. I know 3d Motive has a few great tuts for sale on UDK materials-glass included. They are like $15 apiece, or like $40 for the whole 3 set bundle. Looks pretty good so far!
  • ng.aniki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ng.aniki polycounter lvl 13
    For the ground, don't use a cubemap in this scene, it will not look good. Cubemaps are better when used in more generic situations (For prefabs that need global reflection according to the surrounding[preferably without big flat surface] but not so much on surface reflecting clearly the actual scene), if you create a SceneCaptureCubemapActor here in the middle of your room, basically it will be closer to all the walls than the ground,so their reflection will be wrong, maybe twice the real size.

You should use a SceneCaptureReflectActor, it is using real time reflections and therefore is more expensive, but you will get a good result.
  • MoonCactus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks spectre, I'll bare that in mind :)

ng.aniki you're right, tried the cubemap and got this

HKbiolF.jpg

doesn't look awful but definitely not correct. I'll try the reflect actor instead in the morning :) thanks for the help!
  • MoonCactus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Used real-time reflections instead, definitely looks better- at the expense of my computer blue-screening at one point. I seriously need more ram. :(

http://vimeo.com/77398390