Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Beat-Up Aged Wood Pallet

Firefly
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Firefly polycounter lvl 4
First attempt at ZBrush. First attempt at hand sculpting wood. etc

I wanted to make the wood look really aged and to have some kind of a purpose prior to becoming a pallet. (battle)

Hopefully I will get better at sculpting along the way of doing it.

I plan on baking it down to low poly game ready object. For now this is the High Poly Sculpt.

All comments are welcome. Don't tear me up too hard. ha. Cheers!

g07uC5v.jpg

Replies

• Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
    I think there is too much denting and no chipping or cracking. While wood can dent it will also chip off with hard breaks that follow the grain. I would also expect wood of this quality to have a lot of knots and less uniform grain.

More like this, but maybe not quite so old if you don't want.
    depositphotos_6306967-Wooden-planks.jpg

Also the grain along the ends of the planks shouldn't cut straight across like that. It would be curved with the ring of the trees.

fir,%20douglas%20end%20grain%209%20s25%20plh.jpg
  • Yilativ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it looks nice. Keep it up.
  • SpeedyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The boards across the bottom should have sloped sections. This is so that a pallet jack can roll over them to lift it.

CHEP_PALLET_B1208A_1200X800mm.jpg
  • DougClayton4231
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    Good first attempt :) The only thing that I would say is to add more variation to jazz it up a bit.
  • Firefly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for all the feedback! I'll try to take those into factor.

Also, I forgot to mention that I was aiming for a fantasy type pallet. etc

I appreciate the comments! Cheers!
  • Firefly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. I did some test baking. I have some problems with the baking. It seems I made my low poly too sharp and it shows in the normal map, and in marmoset? Look at these pics below. I used xnormal for the bake. I think the problem is the low poly? Maybe some of you guys can help me on what I'm doing wrong here. Thanks in advance.

=)

UbjJFNz.jpg

Tn6oyUI.jpg

mBp4LvL.jpg

JKDkNqe.jpg
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make sure you are splitting you smoothing groups along the UV seams before you bake. You'll also want adequate padding between your UV islands to prevent any bleeding.
  • Firefly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still new to this but what do you mean by splitting your smoothing groups along the UV seams?

Just assign different smoothing groups? I never understood smoothing groups and this is probably why this is happening. lol

And about the padding do I raise the padding level? I think the padding was on the default setting on xnormal.
  • DougClayton4231
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    Everywhere that you create a UV island (a.k.a. a seam) you should create a hard edge by selecting the polygons on the other side of the seam and setting them to a new smoothing group in the Edit Poly modifier. The padding for your islands should depend on your texture size. For example, on a 1k map, I usually use 16 pixels of padding.