Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Mollusk Tower [UDK]

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
wenglish polycounter lvl 11
just a very small scene i'm creating with Unreal. never used it before so it's a learning experience. really digging it

Highres_Screenshot_00000_zps293dfea7.png?t=1381094108

Highres_Screenshot_00003_zps2908e25d.png?t=1381094117

Highres_Screenshot_00001_zpse6de1a49.png?t=1381094112

Replies

• wenglish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got a bunch done on this, I think its nearly there. I even set up a fly-through with Matinee. any critiques?

Highres_Screenshot_00002_zps48328e6c.png?t=1381870470

Highres_Screenshot_00004_zpsb6741045.png?t=1381870541

here's a link to the rendered fly-through

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_QAOlM6rSo"]Mollusk Tower - YouTube[/ame]
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I gotta admit, I don't know why anyone would put a mollusk in a tower, but hey, that's what it is, and it looks good.
    As far as composition goes, I prefer your first shot; at ground level, looking up.
  • Inkalicious
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the concept that you got here. Is the mollusk supposed to be a shell or a bell because it feels more like a bell than an actually shell. It also looks like it's made out of wood. I would add some more patterns into the texture like most shells have. With the texture now it's to monotone. Also I think the island could use some spicing up as well. Some more vegetation would be nice. Maybe some rocks too. Then you could get the water splashing up on the rocks as well. Hope this helps. :)
  • Zorro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zorro polycounter lvl 4
    got a bunch done on this, I think its nearly there. I even set up a fly-through with Matinee. any critiques?

Highres_Screenshot_00002_zps48328e6c.png?t=1381870470

Highres_Screenshot_00004_zpsb6741045.png?t=1381870541

here's a link to the rendered fly-through

Mollusk Tower - YouTube

Awesome tower mollusk computer game - for the PS4 I imagine?
  • wenglish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feedback! the suggestions about composition and material definition are especially useful.

@Zorro, not sure if this could be called a game, there would not be much to do :)
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The shell looks somewhat like a nautilus or ammonite, but the flare at the base just doesn't work. Both creatures are known for their representation of the Fibonacci sequence/golden rectangle, and you really should keep that in mind.
    fibonacci1.gif

Of course, this doesn't mean that the shell needs to be simple; just remember that the creature adds to the end of the shell as it grows.
    422px-Haeckel_Ammonitida.jpg
  • wenglish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah you're definitely right about the shell. although its not supposed to be a real creature anyway. I started to rework it to fit better to the golden spiral, but i decided that I really liked how it looks like a bell. anyway, I've already spent longer on this one than i should have, so im just going to call it complete. in the final composition you cant see much of the island anyway, so I think it works allright

Mollusk%20Tower_large.jpg