Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Kate & Virgil

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Seraphinn polycounter lvl 4
Okay..after spending a few hours every day for a week or so, im stymied, im fairly happy with colours and design, but now im lost in terms of making the character look better than it is.

Atm i only have the diffuse and normal maps applied, i have tried to make gloss and specular maps for the head but I've not had much experience before and I'm not entirely happy with the results (as shown below) Any advice would be greatly appreciated as to where and how to use the maps properly

..LATEST UPDATE..

Stuck_zps305631a4.jpg

Any comments/critiques are welcomed and greatly appreciative!

Thanks

Replies

• Seraphinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update on Kate & Virgil!

kampv_zps398e224f.jpg

Hopefully gunna wrap up the moddelling portion of this soon, just have tweaks and small bits too add to it. Jewellery, tech, maybe a rotor recon drone...

As always any comments/critiques are welcomed and greatly appreciative!
  • Seraphinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay..so I think I'm finally ready to call the initial modelling stage done. Going to take her into mudbox/zbrush to get the shapes a little bit more what i want. Mainly..feminising the face. Then do the sculpt. Aiming to make Kate and Virgil in game resolution so hopefully get them fully textured and into Marmoset/UDK/Unity for theyre final renders...hopefully get them a lil' animation too.

Render below is just a plain material render pass with an Ambient render overlayed on top in PS

KateVirgilNo_Tex_Beauty_zps182d2a9f.jpg

and musnt forget her faithful useful Drone!
    drone_zps9f509d46.jpg
  • Pabs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pabs polycounter lvl 12
    there seems to be some sort of problem with the insertion/origin of the neck muscle. you might want to look at some reference on that.

might just be me, but that dog's head look a bit too big
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    I really like how you're incorporating that dress/skirt/shirt thing I've seen girls wear these days, its sort of an interesting clash between all the gear/cargo shorts and I'd love to see how it looks when textured.

Keep it up!
  • Seraphinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @scapulator: yeah i think it is a little skewed by the image...but I'll definitely have a closer look.

@Deathstick: Yeah think i might texture it to be like a dirty hello kitty or something, just to keep the contrast going :D but i'll decide it later

Update
    Just been sculpting out some detail in the backpack..Tried using zBrush 4R5..but with no experience found it insanely difficult..so went back to Mudbox. Think its just learning what brushes are the same as in Mudbox
    The blank plane of polys wasn't meant to be with the model, hence no sculpting, going to be elastic netting type thing.

Kate_Backpacksculpt_zps5037f72d.jpg
  • Seraphinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not been working on anything since my last update due to poor health!...so finally got back into it and did the image below
    Kate_PantsSculpt_zpsa69ff369.jpg
  • Seraphinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been working a bit more on the sculpts...

KateVirgilWIP_zps043753fd.jpg

and the latest sub tool sculp

Kate_VestSculpt_zps8f550973.jpg

As always comments and critiques are welcomed!
  • Seraphinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been doing some more sculpting on Kate...

Dont know if it shows cause of the matcap but..she does have pores and wrinkles

Kate_Headsculpt_zpsf0c267f9.jpg
  • Seraphinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and a complete composite of so far...

KateVirgilWIP3_zpsb6538926.jpg
  • Pabs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pabs polycounter lvl 12
    i see you neglected to take my advice on looking at neck reference. the neck muscles only 'pop' out like that when you turn your head to the right/left, not when it's facing forward. and you have them inserting into the clavicle, so it seems.

you might also want to make the arms thicker, especially the forearms. they look way too skiny compared to the torso.
  • Seraphinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been plugging away at texturing, baking the maps took a long time with my ol' laptop so took a long time. Working on it at nights mostly so not had a lot of work time on it.

Latest update - working on hair texture atm just to get it right
    Image below is just Normal and Diffuse. With exception of eyes an hair obv.

Kate_Texturetorso_zps7ac9386d.jpg
  • Seraphinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick texture knock up playing around with colours and style

Kate_Texturetest_zps4d1ba584.jpg

Critiques always welcome as always.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus_Aseth polycounter lvl 9
    Something wrong with those arms :poly122:

Is like if there is only the bone there,like a skeleton :poly141:
  • Seraphinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They are a little bit thin, might play around with the geometry and see what looks best. Might be a mix of the white background giving the illusion too though.
  • Seraphinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chugging along Kate_Half_WIP2_zps4dfa547c.jpg
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Overall, good job on the progress but as Marcus pointed out above the arms and hands are still too thin, I suggest look at reference images. After quick Google search here is a couple of images I found.

slendertone-arms-accessory-female_1.jpg
    portrait-young-female-arms-raised-success-8327605.jpg

Elsewhere the eyes on the face are riding to high, so you could try lowering them. In addition to that the bottom of the shirt, where it has that frilly skirt thingy could do with some creases and fold to break up the symmetrical look it currently has.

But keep chipping away at it as it is coming along really well.
  • Seraphinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits, altered her a bit on the arms to make them thicker heres a full front quick render.
    aa_zps2ff9dcc5.jpg

As for the eyes they're at the right place think it was just the render angle that altered its appearance.

Im not sold on the cargo shorts or the top atm thinking i need a colour change.

as for the frills, yeah i plan to alter those once the textures complete, gunna make them less strong..was my first attempt at creating them..not a great result, but i think the characters coming along nicely.
  • Seraphinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since only diffuse and normal maps were only use i started work on the spec and gloss maps to make the skin more realistic... since i've only ever mae ba spec maps this was my chance to try and make a decent one and to make my first gloss map..

Kate_Face_WIP_zpsc0cb8aa4.jpg
    Untitled-1_zps0e799328.jpg
    This is just a mray render using a 3 point lighting setup, but i need feedback before i get to the point where starting again rather than editing would be best.

These wierd shading issues pop up only when my normal maps applied any suggestions?
  • Seraphinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I put Kate into Marmoset and got the result below, totally not happy about how it turned out, not sure of the reason for the vast diffrence between max mray render an marmoset.

Stuck2_zps98b09f62.jpg
  • Seraphinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on Kate skin, not sure if im heading in the right direction or not, could use some help/advice.

comparison_zps52e0963a.jpg

Quick render using Mray, default lighting
  • Seraphinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im putting the shown maps in specular Level, is that correct?

All images above also use Standard Max shader
  • Seraphinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so using Xoliul's shader..gives much better results...Obv theres a few problems with maps that need clearing up, but otherwise its much better than my marmoset try

22323_zpsde7976d9.jpg

Is Xoliul's shader that far off from an engine?
  • Seraphinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Project shelved - Due to loss of all my files when my old laptop BSOD...may it live forever in computer heaven.