• taipoh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is too beautiful. I would like to see your grass mesh :P
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    so much goodness in this post! love the style. Subscribed!
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    I love it!!!!!!!
    Did anyone notice that trees in the background look kinda flat?
  • _Kratos_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Looking better and better man! Killer work!
  • Pixelatedkiwi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelatedkiwi polycounter
    Some new updates, I've done some more to the lighting, increasing the contrast of the shadows mainly by dropping the bounce to 1. I also turned them into cooler blue hues instead of mauve/purple. Also played with the sky box gradient to add in some more cooler hues. Thanks again Endfinity Jon for the great crits :). I started adding in some of the props too.

@aajohnny, taipoh, Ichban, ivanzu, and _Kratos_ thanks for the kind words! Ill be working on getting into the next round of props now.

9687452907_bf615d0048_o.jpg

9687451609_7ca9b79181_o.jpg

9687452253_ecf3b97765_o.jpg

9690691160_6ee4f785cb_o.jpg
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    The harsh lighting is starting to make the foliage planes look very flat, and it's sort of ruining the effect for me. I'm sure you want to keep the lighting, but you may need to adjust the normals on your foliage planes to make them appear softer.
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    For my tast you overdid the lightning, I seems like some of your texturework is getting lost due to the strong light. Some parts really feel a little blown out right now.

Sweet little red flowers btw.
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    I like this alot, but the second image-the highlights on the rocks on the ground and the rocks on the building are facing different sides.
  • Pixelatedkiwi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for the crits, its nice to get fresh eyes on this stuff, I'll have a tweak as I add in the new assets, maybe a happy medium between this result and the previous maybe a bit nicer.
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A midway might be great, since the lightning is really nice, but I'd love to see more of your texture through... because they are awesome =D
    The bark for example is loosing some details due to the light.

And yet that Wonkey mentioned it, yeah, your textures are having lightsources from diffrent angles... on the mill it's from the upper left and on the ground right before the mill it seems to be from the right.
  • Pixelatedkiwi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toned down the contrast values, and fixed up the texture light direction issue on the stones, thanks Wonkey good spotting :) Working on adding a well and some of the other prop suggestions for now.

9690122257_47e96c594a_o.jpg

9693357172_5ea360b701_o.jpg

9693357934_2320c5581b_o.jpg

9693356356_63e7862f14_o.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Really nice work man :) Wish I had those hand-painting skills xD
  • Pixelatedkiwi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the compliment Chris! I think if you had anymore epic art skills you'd just com-bust! :D

Another update, I finished up the well and I see a few people requesting flats and breakdowns so I thought I'd do one for this with wire, silhouette and map for anyone who may find it helpful.

I have a few more props to knock out and then I'll do some more updated scene shots, thanks for looking!

9706438745_c67ebf82f0_o.jpg
  • Rokugan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rokugan polycounter lvl 7
    Amazing job you are doing there! I really dig the overall feeling and the well is awesome! The only thing I really don't like is the white tree, it looks too flat imo.
  • Tomm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I though the point of handpainted textures is that they already contain light information.. That's why I think your earlier screenshots were better when it comes to lighting.. just my humble opinion.

great work nonetheless! :thumbup:
  • mbischof
  • HapZungLam2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HapZungLam2 polycounter lvl 7
    Would you have any tip on how did the grass texture on the ground plant could blend with the grid moss and grass so nicely?
  • Pixelatedkiwi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rokugan - Thanks for the feedback!

@Tomm - Yeah there is definitely more than one way to approach lighting hand painteds, thanks for your input :)

@mbischof - Cheers for the compliment!

@HapZungLam2 - Although it seems fairly obvious, making sure your grass planes and ground texture use the same color palette and value range is a good step towards getting them to blend nicely. I find that larger shapes for the ground texture grass blades as opposed to that more realistic noisy grass helps a lot too for painterly style.

The other thing that may help is distributing your poly planes with interesting size variation and "clumping" them around areas of terrain or props similar to how real life grass grows. I hope that helps :D
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet progress so far! Can't wait for more!

May I ask you how you did your terrain?
    Did you model it? Or is it a heightmape generated through a sculpt or something like that?
    Or is it just a build in landscape-thingi from the game engine?

I'm asking since I dunno what's the best way to archive a terrain if you're wanting a certain look (like when you know that you'll need a cliff with a bridge and a mountain all around, and a big forest space and so on)...

I wonder if they used models to do the landscapes in games like WOW?
  • Pixelatedkiwi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More update shots :) I've put in the well, made a wheelbarrow and some grain sacks. I'm pretty happy with the mill area for now, I'm going to make a cart and sign for the entrance area of the path down the bottom next.

@Fenyce - Thanks for the kind words! This terrain I made with the terrain sculpting tool in UDK (which is essentially painting a height map in 3D). Last I saw WOW uses a similar setup in their engine for creating terrain, but they also have really nice things now like being able to paint alpha'd terrain textures on top of other terrain and paint-able terrain vert lighting etc. But the terrain itself is made very similar to UDK's terrain sculpting tool.

9739007565_3515292193_o.jpg

9739006813_fb06a4dabf_o.jpg

9741215700_13c6848061_o.jpg
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the answer =D

And WOW! This latest renders look amazing! But I'd recommend to revisit that mills textures, the upper floors wall (that white one) looks really flat and missing detail compared to everything else.

Those new probs are great, I'm loving those flour sacks! And the barrow looks sweet, too!

Very, very inspiring project!
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome job so far. I agree the upper part of the mill texture needs a little more work, like making the stone that is peeking out from under the plaster more prominent. Also it needs more dripping grunge as water would seek a path down from the roof and onto the plaster areas, especially around the stones. All in all though, the textures and scene look amazing.
  • Yuke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yuke polycounter lvl 5
    Hand painted scenes are so damn fantastic.. really good job! Makes me want to do a hand painted scene myself.

Agree on the top of the mill, not reading perfectly yet.. but all in all love this, will be going straight in the inspiration folder!
  • YBourykina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YBourykina RIOT Games
    looking really nice, can't wait to see it finished and all the final textures :)
  • Pixelatedkiwi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback everyone :)

@Fenyce - Thanks! Yeah totally agree about the plaster texture I'll do another pass on it and give it some lovin.

@spectre1130 - Cheers for the crit and compliments!

@Yuke - Thanks for the kind words, all the great input from the community has definitely helped push it so I certainly can't take all the credit.

@YBourykina - Thanks heaps! Glad you're liking it, I should be able to get a lot of it done this week so hopefully you don't have to wait too long! :D
  • Pixelatedkiwi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update, I've made a small cart prop, this is going to be a focal point for the road entrance area, I'm making some more smaller props to go on/around this at the momoent and will have up some new scene shots soon. Thanks for looking :)

9797855413_42242e2328_o.jpg

9797776335_a3b04753e4_o.jpg

[SKETCHFAB]a853bfeeaf9f4a01b41d087953ca5772[/SKETCHFAB]
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov polycounter lvl 10
    really awesome stuff!! please do more :poly142:
  • Pixelatedkiwi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update, put in the cart and made some terrain changes around it, I'm thinking zone-wise it could be an opportunity for a mini quest-hub where an npc would interact with players maybe giving them a reason to explore a bit and take the path less traveled :) Next up I'm going to do another pass on the mill textures. Thanks for looking!

9825535775_f423e413f4_o.jpg

9825506464_7e43953b39_o.jpg
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    I love the work you've done on this, but the lighting is a disaster. You need to start from square one. There are areas that are just so flat and full bright, not sure what is going on with them. Your previous env shot. That tree in the middle....the leaves are full bright and there is no definition or shading. It's full bright and the lighting is killing this scene.

Here is a good trick. Make all your textures a flat color. kinda a creamy neutral color, then tackle your lighting, make sure there is depth and you can make out your forms and things are not blown out. Then bring back your textures and tweak from there.

Just make copies of all your textures and save em to your desktop, update everything to the flat color and light your scene, then when you want to bring everything back....just replace with your backups.

9832439663_7b1220006e_o.jpg

So how'd I get here....overall a slight de-saturation, Your fog color should have more blue, you need to lower your global ambient light to match the foreground grass opacity/value. Then you can adjust your main directional. As far as getting the dark shadows in the trees you may need adjust your texture if you can't get there with the lighting, but you can see that there is a light and dark side to the middle canopy. (I've done this with vertex painting on similar models in the past in order to get those shadows.)

Good luck, lighting will make this scene sing!
  • Pixelatedkiwi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey pixelpatron thanks for the feedback, the lighting has arrived to where it has from lots of tweaking and great community input, I see what you've done in your example would be nice if I was going for a more realistic (witcher style?) type lighting, if that were the look I was after, you're right I'd need to start again from scratch. I'm trying to hit a more painterly/whimsical fantasy with more saturation brighter lights and not so darker shadows.
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    This just gets better and better! You're obviously very comfortable painting wood and planks. I for one would love to see if you've developed some technique or if you have some tips!

That terrain rock texture just gets be every time! Can't stop staring at it! xD
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea would love to hear about your workflow when doing haintpainted textures. Do you have seperate layers for highlights and shadow or is it all in one layer
  • Pixelatedkiwi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for your compliments :) I'll be glad to put up some breakdowns on my hand painting workflow, I'm having a break for a couple of weeks from this project but when I start it up again I'll put up some stuff for you.

To answer your question though Iciban, I paint the textures with a light direction in mind right from the start, almost always neutral top down (sometimes there are exceptions) so light and shadow are a part of the texture from the initial rough block-out and I develop it more as I go though to refining, hope that helps!
  • carlobarley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carlobarley polycounter lvl 9
    ermahgad this is awesome! can't wait for the breakdowns!
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That cart is really well done; the screenshots almost don't do it justice. Thanks for the model!
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I hope you can record one of your handpainted props. Would love to see how you approach your painting. I know what you mean by the light direction. Just wondering when you paint. Do you try to have everyting in one layer. All the highlights, shadows, stuff like that.
  • Pixelatedkiwi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the kind words guys :D Sorry for the delay on updates, I'm back on to this project to get it finished up and post up some breakdowns from next week so stay tuned!

@Iciban - Yeah I often end up with it all in one or at least a few layers, I try to keep the layers merged down where possible after I'm happy with adjustments and changes so it doesn't get too out of hand. In staying that sometimes it is nice to keep any painted AO or lightening type adjustments at the end separate for tweaking, but it really comes down to what suits your workflow, I don't think there's really a right or wrong with that stuff if the end result is awesome :).
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    I don't know how I missed all the progress on this but it's turning out great, I love the bag- your stuff's turning out fantastic. gg :)
  • netghost03
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    10/10 would bang! eh i mean play! looks beautiful!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Don't really agree on the lighting crit personally, think this looks incredible! Great job man!
  • fx01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool texturing and models!

but the light is really not interesting ... the lamps for example are at spots where the sun is still falling down which kills them .. they could give some nice mood to the scene ( some orange glow with a nice drop shadow on the floor )

but anyway add some birds/animals or so and its awesome;>

i would love to see that scene at night :P
  • Pixelatedkiwi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys thanks heaps for the input! I'll be starting off back into it with a polish pass on the mill textures addressing the plaster and such and finally to finish off with some modular rock formations to add around the cliff areas.

@Gannon - Thanks for the kinds words, really glad you like it!

@netghost03 - haha :D thanks dude

@Torch - Cheers for the feedback and compliment!

@fx01 - Thanks for the crits I'll definitely take it on board, I was thinking the other day a nice night lighting setup would look cool actually, maybe some stage I'll give it a whirl! As for the birds and animals totally agree :) a nice painterly horse tied to the tree next to the cart and a merchant leaning on the cart would be pretty sweet too... now if only I were a character artist >.<
  • 87roach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    87roach polycounter lvl 5
    Ace work man, this is really shaping up! Kudos for all the awesome painting.
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was wondering. Since your going for handpainted style and you paint the highlights in. So are you only relying purely by diffuse? No spec or normals?
    Do you find trouble when it comes to lighting ur environment?