Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Guardian of Death, model, sculpt.

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
skue352 polycounter lvl 6
I love a good story, and most of the things i design have a story even if it is just a line saying what his job is. sometimes thats all i really need to get into making something for myself.
Scetches.jpg
sketching out designs really helps things move faster for me. this guy how ever only had a head design when i started him. i just needed to feel him out, and that slowed me down more than i would like.
Xploded.jpg
an exploded view to really give you an idea of how i leverage multi meshes. i really got into mm early on in my workflow. it leaves so many options in the build.
10a.jpg
for instance this here is the 10th save. the eyes were too small and the mm left me room to make them larger and better suited to the "feel" i wanted.
10.jpg
this is the 10th save with all the parts turned on. very few things were added after this and the main masses are all in there but not detailed. notice the neck and compare it to a later versions.
10mm.jpg
mm or multi meshes make it so easy and fast for the work flow i like to use. wip.jpg
here is the 25th save. you might notice that neck and head are more detailed in the skin. but the underlying masses are still there and supportive of the anatomy. as i work out the textures and put the finishing touches on this guy i really hope to get it possessed when the texture is finished. but for now i hope people enjoy this as much as i have in making it.

one last thing i have lurked the forums for quite sometime. but my good friend "G" finally put a gun to my head and got me to post. i hope his cat pees in his shoes... jk love you man thanks for the support and help.

Replies

• neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    Lookin pretty cool.
  • skue352
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Neil

backbiter.jpg
    here is his main weapon inspired by the kukri a knife of Nepal. know as a weapon of decapitation. the blade shape adds to the overall feel of this hatchet type weapon. as i didn't really want a bearded ax, or a simple clever. i took a look at the handles for hatchets and axes as my primary inspiration, and modified the blade for this unusual design. history always has the best stories, so whenever i look at mythical creatures or deities i like to find some solid ground to stand on. even if it is just with my toes.
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    I really enjoy that design !
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Looks super cool, I'm not a fan of the blade design but that's just personal preferance. Can't wait to see it baked to the low poly.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    This is brilliant. I love all the detail and yet how "sketchy" the design still is.
  • skue352
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you for the posts, i am trying to get more done before the end of the day. so i will post if the pork is post worthy.
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    This is looking so fantastic! I'm a huge fan of the design and story elements and can't wait to see more!
  • robert.nally
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robert.nally polycounter lvl 12
    This is great. I saw it on the WAYWO 2013 thread the other day. I didn't know it was yours or I would have said something. I'm glad to see you're hanging out on Polycount.

As for critique stuff, I find it sort of hard to find his eye or eyes which would help ground it for me a bit better. I feel like we sort of look to the eyes or face first or second and if you can't see the eyes specifically you can sort of get lost in where the face is exactly. Simplifying it to just one large eye or maybe peeling back some of the detail around the eye might help it out a bit. Just a thought anyway.

His posture kind of bugs me a bit too. I get that he's this sort of bird creature and so he's hunched, but his hunch is contrasted with these really straight legs that are also very close together. It gives it a bit of a weird feel for me. Maybe a concept shot to see what final pose you're going for or something along those lines would help that out a bit. It just feels like he's so hunched that he should be really low to the ground in posture and stature. So his knees and ankles should be able to really bend a lot.

The last thing I would say is just make a bit cleaner presentation before showing it off some. I know that in the end it's superfluous, but I also feel like that's what separates the people who get lots of comments and acknowledgement on cghub or the recap or whatever. I know you're a baller zbrush artist and I know that you know that program in and out way more than I do, but the gradient background screenshot of zbrush looks terrible. It detracts from your design and sculpting and the screenshot shows aliasing and comes off looking meh. I know sometimes you just want to get a quick update out there and post it, but just do a quick BPR render or something or do a little cleanup in Photoshop before posting for like 10 minutes. It's vain, but in the end I think it will help you because you are really good and your presentation of everything, not just your sculpt should project that.

I hope that helps and I hope I wasn't too harsh. You're still the man.
  • sinusoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinusoid polycounter lvl 4
    From WAYWO thread here as well, awesome concept and colours.

From the last pic fingers look a bit sausage-like. I'd suggest working on the sides a little, carving in more tendons, more pads, make them narrow towards fingernails.

I'd contrast-out the eye area a little, maybe make the skin darker so eyes stand out. Will blend with the nearing textures from afar as-is.

I like the mass distribution from the drawing, seems balanced, more realistic, while the sculpt is more exaggerated and defined. Not a bad thing, just something that struck me.

Yeah, really sweet work, I like this a lot.
  • skue352
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is an Update as i get the maps projected onto the low rez.
    love marmoset.
    r6VKyuX.jpg
    RcXGmgF.jpg
    Mk6R3hm.jpg
  • skue352
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just thinking about the pose.
    bi7ulwA.jpg
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    This is really cool! Looks like a high low poly model tho but looking really good _Those ring shapes look ace! Can't wait for more!
  • skue352
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans; you're right, it got really dence while i was playing with Zremesher. however as a personal pieces should i really worry too much about it? this is a tool to test projection, tessellation, texturing, mapping, and marmoset. maybe next time i will put get much closer to this gen vs next gen.
  • robert.nally
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robert.nally polycounter lvl 12
    As far as the low poly mesh density, if you are going to do something why not just do it the way you know it should be done?

the marmoset shots are much better in terms of presentation, I'm glad you're learning it, nice job!

the pose looks kind of weak. I would go for either something more relaxed or more dynamic. right now it feels kind of half way. For instance, with a relaxed I would just put his arms and the sword down, maybe head up more. If you are going for something more dynamic, I feel like you need to do something with that other arm and push the pose more.

I think you should consider bailing on the shoes and giving him some talons for feet. Right now you have this bird theme going in the face and a bit in the arms, the back also, but it ends there. It doesn't seem to carry out throughout the model other than the feathers. Some fierce looking talons for feet would continue the theme and I think look so much better than the shoes. You could obviously still keep like a shin guard or something on the front so you wouldn't have to abandon all the work you did for that part. You could also do some cool stuff where you have the talons digging into your pedestal. It would also just give you some more higher frequency detail where it sort of falls off after the arms or midsection and isn't quite returned to in terms of his skin and organic stuff.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    imo, I think the models fine since this is more of a practice/workflow test. I'd just like to see the textures before worrying about the pose. :)
  • Perlinfalcon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perlinfalcon polycounter lvl 5
    All I have to say is I love this! I rarely come across artwork that displays such a good understanding of how feathers grow and are arranged. The rest of it is really nice as well. I rather like that his eyes are difficult to make out. That makes it very unsettling.
  • skue352
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the slow response but things have been a little hectic. So here is a Marmoset grab, getting the speck and gloss maps going. next, hight map. oh yeah and all the other flotsam and jetsam.

C4NObnB.jpg
  • Dethmunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethmunk polycounter lvl 4
    Wow this thing is looking stunning. Great work mate.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Nice, this is looking really cool dude. One small crit.

I have a feeling that your dragon shoulder pad is either -

A. at a lower texel density than your character
    or
    B. the model density wasn't high enough to get a crispy polypaint.

You may want to consider touching that up once you finish the rest of this and re-projecting the base texture.
  • skue352
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok so fix, check, rinse repeat. got the clothing... finally. so here is a preview while i work on the speck maps and Normals. did you ever think of switching up the syllables in normals so it might sound like "No-rmals" sounds like a star trek alien. rmals... HA!
    Dwv3vXh.jpg
  • skue352
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    removed because these are no longer relative to the work I'm posting.
  • skue352
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well a lot has changed, I'm now using marmoset toolbag 2 with the metalness workflows. what this means gloss maps woo hoo. it changed my overall workflow quite a bit. from my understanding this is what the new Unreal4 will be using. that being said I'm almost finished with the Guardian of Death. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have making it.

PfGvXRF.jpg?1
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Your topology is all wrong. There is no studio I know of that would accept this as a low res mesh. The flow isn't friendly to animation what so ever. i knwo you are far along, but you should really consider retopologizing this by hand. Zremesher is not for making final low poly meshes. It was made to make it so you didn't have to redo your topology by hand in order to clean up your sculpt. While it's nice to click a button and be done it doesn't really work for low poly ( on deformable meshes). This is also made worse by the fact that your feathers are twice as dense as the rest of your mesh. I would use at max 12 tris per feather ( you could do even less) with alpha. I know we don't have to worry so much about tri counts with the new generation, but that doesn't mean we should waste triangle. It also doesn't mean you can ignore animation friendly topology.

Also as a side note Metalness is not the only PBR workflow in Marmoset 2.0 you can still stick with difuse ( albedo), Normals, Spec( Reflectance), and Gloss (Roughness) workflow. You just need to apply PBR principles to you map making.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    ^ Don't get discouraged though as this is easily rectifiable, love the work but have to agree with stevs, if you want this in the folio and to look good as it already does you have to redo the low poly to be animation friendly that is all that i can see right now and the already mentioned feathers ordeal.

But carry on this is looking great.