Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: fflawpunk

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
fflawpunk polycounter lvl 10
Okay, I think I'm going to start a sketchbook! Let me say right up front, I want critiques of anything and everything. Even if I have no plans to touch a model again, I can still learn from it for the next time.

I'll start with this recent project: I modeled a basic face (my first ever completed) and would specifically like feedback on topology since I know that's something I don't grasp well, yet.

[SKETCHFAB]5cf3ab1c5bbf4366b16e75b0f91d7339[/SKETCHFAB]

I started with the rings of the eyes, mouth, and nose. When I got to joining the separate meshes, I got hopelessly lost. Couldn't seem to connect the corners of the mouth and cheekbones in a smart, optimal way. I called it done despite random poles, a triangle, stretched quads.

Here's the low-poly original since the above has a subdivision modifier on it.

Replies

• jfitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    I don't know a ton about topology but I'd say you're looking pretty good. I would take another look around the mouth and cheeks on the low(er) poly. They seem a bit square to me and rounding it out might give you a slightly better flow after smoothing.

Did you just start modeling from a plane in Maya to build the head?
  • mjau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The topology looks good! Although I'd make the edge-loops around the nose more round (like you have around the ears and the mouth). If you do that, it will be a lot easier to animate the nose into any expression-animations and it will look a lot better!
  • fflawpunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fflawpunk polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the feedback.

jfitch, I skimmed through and followed the process shown in this tutorial, and I work in blender. And to show how I started with separate loops, here's what it had looked like just before I started trying to join things together:

oKUwLyB.png
  • jfitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    Interesting tut man, thanks for sharing! I'll have to go through it later.

Only other thing I would worry about is that the brow line is fairly un-pronounced and the skull structure is a little off, but if you're going for a stylized look I think it works.