Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Half-Life Rocket launcher re-make

Hey guys. I'm new here and this's my first model here. A model I've been working on for a mod.

I tried to be as accurate as possible, yet made some edits here and there, which I thought looked better.

4c9pnvE.jpg

hMJwIyx.jpg

Replies

• NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Looks great in my opinion, definitely better than the standard HL2 RPG. Can't wait to see some textures on this thing.
  • sargent99
  • sargent99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So,what about the new updates?

4et28frb198otrcu7hde.jpg

hals2cyilst74gw03i8m.jpg
  • sargent99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's LP model,I will start work at UV map soon :)

ElYeOtr.jpg

So what do like guys?
  • DougClayton4231
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    It looks great :) What's the triangle count?
  • sargent99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks great :) What's the triangle count?

Thx man. currently it's 31.335, but I'll start deleting edges ASAP.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Where did you spend your polys ? Did you use 20k on your bottom cylinder ?
    Show us some wires :P
  • sargent99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike wrote: »
    Where did you spend your polys ? Did you use 20k on your bottom cylinder ?
    Show us some wires :P

NR5Nnim.png
  • sargent99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm finished deleting edges :)

NR5Nnim.png
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    sorry for the crappy picture, just quickly done in paint with a mouse.
    1) This part has a massive amount of optimization to do.
    2) These small holes have to much segments, it's going to be hidden in fp view anyway
    3) still cleanup to do
    back) you have all these 90 degree angles, you would make it a lot easier on yourself reworking this in the hp and lp to be more of a softer angle.
    4) The cable probably also do with some less segments

It also looks that at 1 you are intersecting the box and a complete cylinder, if you made this 1 piece you would save a nice piece of Uv space.

I'd start with that, post a fp view, I think some of the large cylinders could use a couple of segments more, but hard to tell.
    And then also add some bevels/chamfers in the places really close to the player's view.

rx8e.jpg
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    Oh cool! I think I saw this on the Facepunch thread for the HL2 Enhancement Mod. I would definitely suggest you take the rings holding up the wire and make them all at the same level if you haven't already.
  • sargent99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv wrote: »
    sorry for the crappy picture, just quickly done in paint with a mouse.
    1) This part has a massive amount of optimization to do.
    2) These small holes have to much segments, it's going to be hidden in fp view anyway
    3) still cleanup to do
    back) you have all these 90 degree angles, you would make it a lot easier on yourself reworking this in the hp and lp to be more of a softer angle.
    4) The cable probably also do with some less segments

It also looks that at 1 you are intersecting the box and a complete cylinder, if you made this 1 piece you would save a nice piece of Uv space.

I'd start with that, post a fp view, I think some of the large cylinders could use a couple of segments more, but hard to tell.
    And then also add some bevels/chamfers in the places really close to the player's view.

rx8e.jpg

I know about the cleanup, but about the unnecessary parts, I'm just a modeler on a mod. I take the instruction and turn them into model, not to mention that the model won't have much polys to worry about.
  • sargent99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 wrote: »
    Oh cool! I think I saw this on the Facepunch thread for the HL2 Enhancement Mod. I would definitely suggest you take the rings holding up the wire and make them all at the same level if you haven't already.

Considering that I work with other people on this mod, I can't make decisions on my own. Although I did suggest doing so.
  • sargent99
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    sargent99 wrote: »
    I know about the cleanup, but about the unnecessary parts, I'm just a modeler on a mod. I take the instruction and turn them into model, not to mention that the model won't have much polys to worry about.

That's not an excuse to not optimizing your model.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    As a 3D modeler on a mod, it is up to the modeler to take care of optimization. You shouldn't wait around for your higher ups to tell you that your model is being incredibly wasteful in terms of tris, a quality that will definitely not help you land a job in the industry. You should be able to take the initiative and see this yourself and make sure that model is as optimized as possible. Right now you could easily knock off 10k tri's, in which case, this would be a pretty solid piece.

Look at BF3 weapons as an example, most top out around 10k tri's from what we are told, and contain much more detail model wise than this rocket launcher. You are sitting at just under 22k, that is way too high IMO, especially for a mod on an older engine.

Like others have pointed out, the optimization would help a ton. One of the major things you are doing here is the fact that you are attempting to model most of it as one piece, wasting TONS of unnecessary tri's on unnecessary cuts for zero gain in silhouette for baking.

We are only trying to help :) What this forum is for, feedback and critique.
  • sargent99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r wrote: »
    As a 3D modeler on a mod, it is up to the modeler to take care of optimization. You shouldn't wait around for your higher ups to tell you that your model is being incredibly wasteful in terms of tris, a quality that will definitely not help you land a job in the industry. You should be able to take the initiative and see this yourself and make sure that model is as optimized as possible. Right now you could easily knock off 10k tri's, in which case, this would be a pretty solid piece.

Look at BF3 weapons as an example, most top out around 10k tri's from what we are told, and contain much more detail model wise than this rocket launcher. You are sitting at just under 22k, that is way too high IMO, especially for a mod on an older engine.

Like others have pointed out, the optimization would help a ton. One of the major things you are doing here is the fact that you are attempting to model most of it as one piece, wasting TONS of unnecessary tri's on unnecessary cuts for zero gain in silhouette for baking.

We are only trying to help :) What this forum is for, feedback and critique.
    Kosai106 wrote: »
    That's not an excuse to not optimizing your model.

What about now?its good!

sz124Hb.jpg

ZclERdu.jpg
  • Kar-re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kar-re polycounter lvl 6
    I'm pretty sure the model shouldn't even have 7k polys, nonetheless it seems just like you made the piece in the middle to a gigant n-gon, you should really optimize those round things that connect the rocket barrel to the handle. The handle looks pretty unoptimized aswell. You should learn to optimise better and really take the image that joeriv made in consideration.
  • ofca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ofca polycounter lvl 9
    Kar-re wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the model shouldn't even have 7k polys, nonetheless it seems just like you made the piece in the middle to a gigant n-gon, you should really optimize those round things that connect the rocket barrel to the handle. The handle looks pretty unoptimized aswell. You should learn to optimise better and really take the image that joeriv made in consideration.

Its not about polys.

16k tris is good for me.

Come on dudes, we have 2013, next nextgen right in front of us. Make things round ..
    . [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLsJzPvfVmA"]Rihanna Round And Around - Best Vines - YouTube[/ame] :)
  • okay54
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay54 polycounter lvl 5
    Unless it contributes directly to the silhouette then you should really get rid of any extra edge loops, for example you really don't need those control edges on the octogons. Also as Kar-re pointed out you've just turned that area into a giant N-gon which is a problem, you should convert that back to quads or tri's.
  • sargent99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kar-re wrote: »

I have a 10k limit, so I think I'm okay.
  • sargentcrunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sargentcrunch polycounter lvl 10
  • sargentcrunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sargentcrunch polycounter lvl 10
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    sargent99 wrote: »
    I have a 10k limit, so I think I'm okay.
    Triangles are what matters in games, not total polygons. If you were to just count polygons you could just convert your whole model to consist of quads, pentagons or hexagons and get different polycounts.

I've also got to agree with what has been said, there really is not enough detail here to justify the 16k tricount. Joeriv suggestions are really solid.

You might also want to make the bevels on the highpoly bigger as they are very sharp now and would probably disappear when the texture gets mipped once or twice.
  • sargent99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak wrote: »
    Triangles are what matters in games, not total polygons. If you were to just count polygons you could just convert your whole model to consist of quads, pentagons or hexagons and get different polycounts.

I've also got to agree with what has been said, there really is not enough detail here to justify the 16k tricount. Joeriv suggestions are really solid.

You might also want to make the bevels on the highpoly bigger as they are very sharp now and would probably disappear when the texture gets mipped once or twice.

Its good now?

NAZWi3W.jpg
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, that is a lot better. There are still some unnecessary geometry that I'd remove (support loops that doesn't do anything for the silhouette) like on the box still and that round piece jutting out from the middle of the barrel.

Also the octagonal piece in the back could maybe use some bevels as it will be right next to the camera.
  • makinmagic3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    makinmagic3 polycounter lvl 11
    Few more areas.

Can't quite see whats happening with the cable section (above the hand grip).
    NAZWi3Wcopy_zpsb10a2392.jpg
  • sargent99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Few more areas.

Can't quite see whats happening with the cable section (above the hand grip).
    NAZWi3Wcopy_zpsb10a2392.jpg

Ok thx :),I will fix.