Home Technical Talk

UDK texture issue

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Kyoske polycounter lvl 6
Honestly I have no idea.

(for you UDK people out there yes I uploaded it correct in udk (-1,-1,-1,0/1,1,1,1 uploaded as a NM map) SRGB is off as well.

And I flipped the G channel

Any help would be wonderful and a life saver.

Thanks every one!

Replies

• timotronprime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timotronprime polycounter lvl 11
    Is your compression setting set to TC_NormalMap?

Don't know what you mean by "-1,-1,-1,0/1,1,1,1 uploaded as a NM map".
  • Sinking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's the main problem? Do you mean the seams you are getting, where the arms or legs are showing or the lack of normal map detail?

UDK tends to need a bit stronger normal maps to make them stand out. And a specular map does help. You can also try adding a heightmap and using a bump offset node to make some materials spring. Tightening up the color channels in your PSD is another idea.

As for the seams - not the best way to unwrap this raptor, imho. You should try making cuts through planes to avoid the normal map issues. If you cut on edges where the normal direction changes, you get these errors. This info is all in the polycount normal map wiki. However, you could try using Handplane to fix those normal map direction errors.
  • Kyoske
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyoske polycounter lvl 6
    @ Timo - ya its set right. was the first thing I checked.

@ Sinking - I will try again with the seams, and HandPlane. (I have not cranked up the normal yet in PS)

thanks guys I keep trying stuff. ^__^
  • Abdullah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks to me a lightmap issue. have a 2nd uvmap on ch 2 and bake ur lighting inside udk.
  • Sinking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abdullah wrote: »
    looks to me a lightmap issue. have a 2nd uvmap on ch 2 and bake ur lighting inside udk.

I thought this is a character? Character are realtime lit and don't require lightmaps.
  • Abdullah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sinking wrote: »
    I thought this is a character? Character are realtime lit and don't require lightmaps.

We cant tell coz he didnt say how he imported it into UDK. Static mesh or skeleton. if static then surely he needs lightmap uv.
  • Kyoske
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyoske polycounter lvl 6
    I was testing as Static mesh (no rig yet) but it will be a character. (I did put a 2nd UV set with no over lapping uv's for the light map) I'm still coming up with this issue.