Home General Discussion

Hand painted texturing advice please?

whiketan
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
whiketan polycounter lvl 3
So uh, Hey. I've just started texturing in general, and could use some advice on handpainting textures in photoshop. I'm using PS cs6 and What I'm attempting to do is imitate the art style of Ted Park from Blizzard. His texture work on SC2 unit models is phenomenal, Though I guess thats expected from someone good enough to get hired by blizzard. On my current attempt to achieve something near his work is just so off its bothering me, First it feels like the colors are off, and the contrast on his textures is beautiful while mine is just messed up... Then there's the attention to detail, but I guess that's more to do with the amount of time and work you put in... So what kind of brush(s?) should I be using on something like this? or the kind of color palate I need to be using? From what I already know i think i should be blocking basic shapes quiclky, then smoothing and refining, then adding details...

Here is what I'm talking about:
hybridzerg_diffuse_zps0b75f428.png
now mine:
http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o797/beng128/Diffuse_zpsb15d82b1.png

Also, um Blizzard peeps if you see this don't kill me its only a snipet of the texture... And tell Phil Gonzo and Ted Park that they're awesome.

Replies

• MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    you sure he didn't use something like 3dcoat to paint directly on the model? It makes stuff like this alot easier usually. Imagining the forms can be tough in a flattened out uv map
  • whiketan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whiketan polycounter lvl 3
    no its definitely a hand painted texture, you can tell by the brush falloff.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    from what I have learned it comes down to just practice practice practice. It's going to take some time. I've started doing some basic 2D painting to try and get a better handle on form. There are plenty of resources out there. I suggest starting at http://wiki.polycount.com/TexturingTutorials. Also, check out https://www.3dmotive.com/f101801. Tyson Murphy is pretty awesome at what he does and if I am not mistaken he is still a character artist at blizzard. Check out tutorials, learn what you see and practice.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    whiketan wrote: »
    no its definitely a hand painted texture, you can tell by the brush falloff.

You are misunderstanding frell's comment. 3D-Coat is an application that allows you to hand paint textures directly onto the model. It's not the same thing as sculpting.

Painting in 3D is a very common workflow for hand painted textures these days. It's not impossible to do it entirely in Photoshop, but being able to paint directly onto the model will speed up the process a lot.
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahtiandr polycounter lvl 12
    look at this video from guy who work at blizzard atm. This is how he does his handpainted stuff

http://vimeo.com/5820395
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I mostly use a hard round, I sometimes adjust its softness - shift + brackets or alt+right click+drag up and down. You can do interesting things with custom brushes but I think it's helpful to get comfortable with the hard round brush before you throw more variables in.

Avoid the smudge tool, blend colors by sampling with the eye dropper (alt click)

painting textures like this shares a lot with painting concept art and traditional art so read up and do experiments.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    I mostly use a hard round, I sometimes adjust its softness

I do most of my texturing in 3dCoat, but this. Hard round does most of the work, I'll use a softer alpha for specific cases where I just want a smooth blend/gradient.

Painting textures isn't all that hard on a technical level. Once you get comfortable with blending stuff it's pretty straight forward. The difficulty comes in understanding lighting and materials, and how to define those without shaders and various maps. Reference and observation are key.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also - every "don't use X" advice is mainly for beginners - once you know what your doing you'll know how to responsibly use filters, the smudge brush, pure blacks & whites, etc...
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Dude, you raised an eyebrow at me this morning for using bevel and emboss.
  • DerekLeBrun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerekLeBrun polycounter lvl 11
    Anyone know a reliable place to get Deep Paint 3D anymore?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone know a reliable place to get Deep Paint 3D anymore?

Blender, 3Dcoat, Mudbox & that other program people keep going on about but I forgot the name, all handle projection painting.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Blender, 3Dcoat, Mudbox & that other program people keep going on about but I forgot the name, all handle projection painting.

Bodypaint? For low poly painting, 3D Coat hands down!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Yea, '..that other program..' may be Bodypaint3D. It also handles real-time 3D painting well.

Looking at the painted attempt, it's pretty good. U've imitated him really well.

His / the style itself looks pretty mushy to me, with too much black. Even if he works @ Blizzard, I don't recommend this as a good example. U should learn how to handle edges, shapes and light from other artists. If u only want Blizz-employees for reference, Slipgate's work (linked above) is better, imo. The recent dump by Faf (http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125737) is also valid, tho it's for next-gen
  • DerekLeBrun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerekLeBrun polycounter lvl 11

Oh yeah I know, I was just looking for Deep Paint 3D because the company who made it was offering it for free for a while. Their website is down presumably because they went out of business and I can't find a link anymore.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my issue with 3dcoat projection painting is the errors it produces - I've spent time painting a face, apply it to the model, rotate the model around and projection paint the back when I get back the face is covered in errors or partially deleted. I'm not on the latest version
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Start soft and finish hard. Works well in aspects of life.
  • jgreasley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want really solid, very powerful 3D projection painting you could have a look at Mari.

It has a layering system that is in many ways more powerful than photoshop and can handle petty much anything anyone can throw at it, all the way up to entire game worlds.

There is a 15 day trial avaiable from thefoundry.co.uk
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I heard Mari is pretty impressive but isn't something like that a bit 'overkill' for hand painted textures?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll have to check out Mari when I have the spare time but the price and features feel like overkill for this kind of art. It would be nice to have a Mari Lite, I only need diffuse and rarely go over 512x512 maps.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dcoat is great for 3d painting. I don't use projection painting though, what I love about 3dc is how the brushes actually work directly on the texels. You can even do 1px-type stuff, depending on your unwrap.
  • jgreasley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch wrote: »
    I heard Mari is pretty impressive but isn't something like that a bit 'overkill' for hand painted textures?

I guess it depends on how many you have to paint in total. Mari is designed as a high throughput tool. If you have a large amount of texturing to do, Mari will make you as fast as possible. If the amount of time you save is large then Mari makes sense.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Mari seems like driving a Ferrari in a school zone type of thing. 8k maps?? That's great for hulk knuckles but a bit over the top for 1024 or smaller maps that most games are using.

I've been using 3D Coat for 3d painting for a while now and have brush presets, hot keys, etc set up really similar to Phoshop so it feels natural painting now.

As far as workflow large shapes, medium shapes, refine, smaller details, refine till you run out of time. Try working in greyscale for a while then adding color towards the end. It will allow you to focus on value only and not hue/saturation as well at the same time. At least starting out.