Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Futuristic Lab Second Environment (UDK work in progress)

still a work in progress...
I still need to tinker with the lighting more and add some more small details,
but hopefully not much more to spend on this.....
oh and I need to lower the fog density on the freezer.

comments, suggestions would be apprieciated.

LabA.jpg

LabB.jpg

LabC.jpg

Replies

• Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I wrote this up today:

http://blog.environmentartist.com/?p=1127

I'd say you need to have better material (and value) separation on the surfaces (walls, floors, etc).

The lighting is really flat. Where's the focus? Figure that out and make the lighting for that purpose.
  • orion5175
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay, so I decided to make the main focus the operating station in the center of the lab, increased the lighting above and lowered the lighting all around, also darken the roof more along with the monitors on the outer walls.
    I still might push the values more to seperate them out a little more like what jeff parrott was talking about but I don't want them to look like 3 or 4 completely different materials.
    LabD.jpg

LabE.jpg

LabF.jpg

LabG.jpg
  • orion5175
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so now I have I matched the color vaules in the back to blend them in more and seperated the ones on the operating section to bring it out more. Added a rolling cart with surgical tools on it, two more cabinets in the back wall, more decals on the wall, changed up the stool, added a clock,a heart rate monitor on the main computer desk, and adjusted the color values more by looking at the scene in black and white.

I'm getting pretty close to calling it finish and hoping for some more feedback before I close the lid on this one.

LabH1.jpg

LabH2.jpg

LabH3.jpg

LabH4.jpg
  • orion5175
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LabI2.jpgok

LabI3.jpg
    so I darkened the grooves in the wall to add a little more contrast along with changing the colors of the monitors for more color contrast but without straying away from the cool colors so I still keep the cold sterile feeling.

anytype of feedback would be nice at this point.

LabI3.jpg
  • orion5175
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    comments, suggestions would be apprieciated.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    need to revisit your mat for the walls, looks pretty dull, and lighting needs a lot of love, and you should decide what you need for a point of interest in the scene.

aside from that you do got a lot of solid work done, you just need to push it a little farther
  • orion5175
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks man, for the feedback i'll spend the next couple of days on just that.
  • orion5175
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I created more contrast in the lighting and the walls to seperate it out more and brought the center light up more for more contrast, from jeff parrotts post

darkened the grooves and set the normal maps up more on the walls,ceiling,desk and added more lighting color contrast, from passerby.

LabK1.jpg
    LabK2.jpg

LabK3.jpg
  • orion5175
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay I'm about to close the chapter on this one if no one has anything to say about it.
  • JustGarry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustGarry polycounter lvl 4
    Maybe just a hint of something going on, a blood streak somewhere perhaps?
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    your cloth is too high poly compared to the rest of the scene. Also, why is there nothing under it? That last pic you posted, I can clearly see there is nothing under it.
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lincolnhughes polycounter lvl 10
    It needs more color unification. There's like 10 different colors for everything. Try making all the hud stuff / glowy bits all one color, and then light the room with them.

The texturing on certain elements also looks extremely low-res. I noticed that on the door in the back, you have a really low-res painted in highlight along the edge of the door. I'd probably re-work the texture or add more resolution because right now it isn't working the way that it could.

Some of the design details aren't really working either. For instance, what's the semi-circle at the back for? It looks like it used to be a circle, but then it's uv's got stretched. Try to make your details seem like they have a purpose.

It also needs some type of story. Was there a recent messy surgery in here that put blood stains all over the bed? Was the doctor having a cup of post surgery coffee that's still steaming? Was the doctor wearing dirty shoes when he came into the room, leaving footprints everywhere? Does the doctor smoke?

I think your main 3 problems are:
    a. Lighting. It's way too bright in here, and there's no atmosphere to add mood. Find an image that you really like (for a similar type of environment), and try to replicate the lighting. Analyse shadow colors, darkness of the shadows, light colors, and use basic lighting techniques to help fill in the blanks. Go look up eat 3d lighting, and try that. Alot of those videos are super inspiring, and you will notice improvement right away.
    b. texture resolution.
    c. color palette

Fix those, and your scene will be baller :) Hope this helps