Home Technical Talk

Issues with rendering a dirt map.

Sims_doc
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Sims_doc polycounter lvl 7
OK, I've only recently begun making models again and I have never had to face the issue of working directly or indirectly with dirt maps because in the past I've never actually generated a dirt map for any of my objects and this is definitely the reason why i'm having issues with rendering a good ambient occlusion map for all of my current models.

I've already read extensively into this topic, ask for outside help as best as i can and even watch an entire video series on rendering a good dirt map.
k4lXNmW.png
In the image above I've taken the liberality to mark out certain issues like the appearance of random shadows across my dirt map in this generation it isn't as bad as previous attempts because of saving into a different directory?

If you want a copy of the scene, just ask and I'll supply it because i wouldn't mind outside hand on figuring this sucker out. :\

Replies

• reedweinstock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reedweinstock polycounter lvl 8
    Did you go into object settings and turn off cast shadows?
  • Sims_doc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you go into object settings and turn off cast shadows?
    Actually turning off cast shadows in object proprieties doesn't make a difference at all when rendering a ambient occlusion.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    How are you baking this? Mental ray? Lighttracer? xnormal?
  • Sims_doc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! wrote: »
    How are you baking this? Mental ray? Lighttracer? xnormal?
    Metal Ray, I haven't really tried with another type of render.

- Edit, I'm begining to think it may in fact be the UVW's because i recently was given a model and i took the time to render with there UVW's and everything render correctly and without the appearance of random shadows actually everything was clean and without error so I'm curious could you take a look at the model I'll upload it and link you if you agree too..

because maybe you can point out what i've done wrong.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the diffuse slot of your material. Add a new map called "Ambient/Reflective Occlusion" located under the mental ray dropdown in the Material/Map Browser.

Also it is called and Ambient Occlusion (AO) map. People may be confused by the term 'dirt map' as that name is selectively used.
  • Sims_doc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the diffuse slot of your material. Add a new map called "Ambient/Reflective Occlusion" located under the mental ray dropdown in the Material/Map Browser.

Also it is called and Ambient Occlusion (AO) map. People may be confused by the term 'dirt map' as that name is selectively used.

OK, This isn't good because... I've inputted the settings you mention in the materials tab in diffuse slot and used the baking settings i normally use in the render setup

cOYoFuq.gif
    Sad but I'm still getting the appearance of theses pesky shadows.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Using your file, I just imported, applied that material and it worked. Try merging the model into a completely new scene.
  • Sims_doc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Using your file, I just imported, applied that material and it worked. Try merging the model into a completely new scene.

Yeah, I just exported it into a different scene completely different dirt map now. But i wouldn't mind seeing what you got to see if its render correctly..

I almost curious about the missing circle is that suppose to be like that.. or what?kjm8MTI.png
    Polycount why do you keep logging me out?
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here you go bud.

I also triangulated your top and bottom caps on the main cylinder before rendering, although that really shouldn't affect anything.

Test-AO-001.jpg
  • Sims_doc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here you go bud.

I also triangulated your top and bottom caps on the main cylinder before rendering, although that really shouldn't affect anything.

Test-AO-001.jpg
    triangulated?
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The top and bottom of your mesh are incomplete. They are composed of nGons. Connect the verts on those faces so they are quads. Like I said though, that probably wouldn't affect the outcome.
  • Sims_doc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The top and bottom of your mesh are incomplete. They are composed of nGons. Connect the verts on those faces so they are quads. Like I said though, that probably wouldn't affect the outcome.
    I was under the impression that my test mesh was done perfectly, i'll have to figure out what nGons are and then of coruse connect them.