Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UV Mapping & pixel art?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
NowvaB polycounter lvl 3
Hi Guys. I can't draw. (and my artist brother is trying to make me do it myself for "a learning experience")

So I decided to add color to my models the best way i can... you guessed it. In PIXEL ART!!! woo!

I've looked at work from this person and... http://www.kennethfejer.com/lowpoly.html i haven't the slightest idea how he gets it so perfect. its like his pixels curve around the edges while mine sorta just. you know.. don't.

someone please tell me their secrets!

much appreciated!

and here's some art:
chaos_warriors_by_nowvab-d5e14ub.png

Replies

• EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    First of all, you CAN draw. Check out Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain if you haven't yet. That is, if you want to draw.

Also, posting your work will probably help you improve faster. We can't suggest anything only with an explanation.
  • NowvaB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NowvaB polycounter lvl 3
    A more specific question then?

How can i edit my UV Map Layout to better support pixel art?
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    What program are you using?

Maya has some features that allow you to straighten UV's and snap to pixels. So all of your UV's should be pixel perfect.
  • NowvaB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NowvaB polycounter lvl 3
    bb0x wrote: »
    What program are you using?

Maya has some features that allow you to straighten UV's and snap to pixels. So all of your UV's should be pixel perfect.

blender
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Kenneth (Tennis) is sort of a god. Don't stress if you don't have UVs as tight as that.

A good way to learn is to UV some models and learn how it works (if you haven't) then take someone else's texture and make the model from it, unwrapping as best as you can. Tennis' house would be a good one to try first because the geo is so simple.

Once you've worked out how the UVs can work, you'll start understanding where they're forgiving and where they're not, how to reuse UVs and how to deal with triangle/trapezoid issues.
  • NowvaB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NowvaB polycounter lvl 3
    Kenneth (Tennis) is sort of a god. Don't stress if you don't have UVs as tight as that.

A good way to learn is to UV some models and learn how it works (if you haven't) then take someone else's texture and make the model from it, unwrapping as best as you can. Tennis' house would be a good one to try first because the geo is so simple.

Once you've worked out how the UVs can work, you'll start understanding where they're forgiving and where they're not, how to reuse UVs and how to deal with triangle/trapezoid issues.

This helped out a lot!

I'd say i got twice as good from just from doing that. theres still a problem with blur though, even with interpolation off. :(

thx!
  • MartinKDahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinKDahl polycounter lvl 17
    if you want to see your low res pixel textures without any blur just set the texture filtering to unfiltered, that way the texture will be displayed as is.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Make your unwraps as straight as possible. And try to get the same amount of pixels on both sides of the seam Like this:

UV_ShowTexture.png

If you look closely you can see that the taillights are split in two with a few pixels on the side of the car. But because both the side and the back of the lamps are 5 (or 7, if you include the darker outline) pixels high, you can't see where the texture-seam is on the 3D model.

And of course; make sure the texels are roughly the same size on different parts (car vs wheels), and having a pixel-art styled texture.