Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3] Log Cabin Forest Environment

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
silver_hoodlum polycounter lvl 4
Hi everyone

Thought I should open a thread of my current project.
Its a log cabin forest environment in cryengine 3. I posted below a research moodboard, I want to achieve as much as realistic style as possible here.

Have spent so far around 15 days, most of the time is testing/baking vegetation and other stuff. Theres lots of technical work but im also looking for ideas to add next to the cabin.

if6q.jpg

This is the cabin so far, with two different texture schemes.

apzp.jpg

j12b.jpg

Will post soon a first real time screenshot with the cabin and trees in cryengine.

All comments/feedbacks/ideas are welcome.

Replies

• Prism
    I like your reference a lot. What strikes me is that the house looks a bit flat. Maybe you could add more geometry to make the silhouette more interesting. Making stones and wood beams stick out. I read this great article about housing, i'll have a look if i can still find it. It also talked about adding geometry to define the roof tiles because the texture blurs when you view it from a player angle. There is also a seam on the front corner of your stones. I think one way to improve this would be to add corner stones.

Found it: http://wiki.polycount.com/ModularMountAndBlade its the second page.
  • silver_hoodlum
    Offline / Send Message
    @Prism thanks dude, well appreciated. About the page u sent, looks really interesting, ill have a look and see what can i modify.

Im gonna also fix the uv seam and add extra polys for alpha vertex blending for variation.

Im fighting with vegetation right now, it takes so much time :/

A quick tree test in ce3

rrt4.jpg
  • somerandomguy1
    Offline / Send Message
    somerandomguy1 polycounter lvl 4
    Remember that straight lines don't really exist in nature. Your tree's trunk needs more slight bends and twists to be more believable and less fabricated. I like your progress and can't wait to see more!
  • silver_hoodlum
    Offline / Send Message
    Remember that straight lines don't really exist in nature. Your tree's trunk needs more slight bends and twists to be more believable and less fabricated. I like your progress and can't wait to see more!

Thanks for the advice and comment, Im redoing the tree mesh right now and creating some variety, ill make sure non of them is a straight sticky one.
  • somerandomguy1
    Offline / Send Message
    somerandomguy1 polycounter lvl 4
    Good to hear. Remember if you make them unique enough you only need two trees and just duplicate them in different rotations and sizes :P
  • silver_hoodlum
    Offline / Send Message
    @somerandonguy1 thats the plan more or less, created 3 tree variations. Then I will adjust scaling, alignment and rotation in cryengine.

izh6.jpg
  • silver_hoodlum
    Offline / Send Message
    A first test with Cryengine. Still lots of work to do, theres not lighting/shadding work yet.

Any idea what can I add next to the cabin?

g7yj.jpg
  • silver_hoodlum
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure if last post showed image. In case here it is.

a901.jpg

Expecting to fix all vegetation by end of this weeks, rebaking pine leaf texture right now.
  • Prism
    Some things i can think of are : fences, an area where the wood is processed with props like axe/saw. An outside fireplace, bench, table, well/waterpump. A shed seperate or sticking out at the side of the house to keep the wood dry. It depends on what you want to do with the context. Is it for living or vacation purposes, old or new.
  • silver_hoodlum
    Offline / Send Message
    @prism Have a well already, need to texture it :p. Definetely gonna add a fence and probably remove the current wood shed and make a proper one.

Spent last two days fighting with grass, hopei can start soon with lighting n postp.
  • silver_hoodlum
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update here, will add more props/details in the next days. Added more trees in the background to block out camera

Any comments/critics r welcome

fbmm.jpg
  • silver_hoodlum
    Offline / Send Message
    havent post here in a while, this is an updated, finally started working on shot composition and lighting. Still a coupple of things to fix and add but getting there.

Any c&c?

uacs.jpg
  • narticus
    Offline / Send Message
    narticus polycounter lvl 7
    Looks really nice. I'm planning a rustic hut of some sort, maybe just a survival shelter and was searching around here for ideas. Still a n00b myself. Can you post any info on how you made the trees/grass? I know there's a million out there, but more techniques are always welcome.
  • Prism
    If you still want to add to it, you can try some vegation like bushes. Between the grass and trees is a big gap in height. But this is just a minor point. It turned out nicely. Maybe you could look at the values, or add a slight vignette. I have the feeling that the hut doesn't take as much attention from the eye as it could. I mean that the trees around it are taking attention away from it.