Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need help texturing weathered car paint

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Zodd polycounter lvl 11
Hello, some time back i started working on a model from i concept i found on deviant art.
I was mostly satisfied with the piece until i started texturing it, and that's where i hit a wall and started going in circles, no matter what i did i couldn't get that old and matted car paint look.
So it seems i don't know what I'm doing with this ( obviously ) i would like to ask for help on getting that car paint to show up properly ( or at least not look like a toy car plastic )
concept:
zastava_reloaded_by_vbagi-d4mk0ek.jpg

My "interpretation" :
lxp5.jpg
pujb.jpg
gx7z.jpg
And here are the textures:
7pcf.jpg

Also i should say that these images were rendered in marmoset without any post processing so you could get a clearer picture of the mess I've made :D

Again any help would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    First you need a diffuse with more metal variation and dirt and all kinds of stuff.
    Then make the gloss map a bunch darker and make the light spots on the specular a little lighter and the medium and dark tones a bit darker

Stuff like dirt shouldnt catch any light, make them almost black on gloss and specular

You gotta think that the rougher the surface is , the less light it reflects. The more aged paint and wear it has, the less it reflects. The bullet holes which show the blanc metal would reflect a lot more, or the scratches where the paint is off.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
  • Zodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zodd polycounter lvl 11
    Thank you for the quick reply's I will try my best at implementing the advices given.

hope i will have an update soon

ty again
  • Zodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zodd polycounter lvl 11
    Ok, it took me long enough (too long maybe) but i think I've made some progress

Added some rust, dust, scratches and weathered paint onto the base paint layer, that junkyard images really helped me to understand goes on with the painted metal when it's exposed to the sun for a long time :)

vc1x.jpg
    1j98.jpg
    vbto.jpg
    Oh, and there is one more thing, does the color look more blue or more gray-green-blue? ( two monitor issue, i think i need to calibrate them or do something )

And here are the specular and diffuse maps, didn't use gloss map this time
    a781.jpg

Would be nice to hear some critique/feedback from you guys. :)
  • Fisher007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fisher007 polycounter lvl 8
    I love the concept art! :D

Is the cartoon look intentional? Because the concept art seems a bit more realistic. If it is intentional then it's pretty good, but I would like it even more with realistic style. :) For that there should be more normal map and specular map details. You can get this by stamping pictures onto the diffuse and converting them into normal/spec (for example in nDo). A little ambient occlusion on the diffuse would be handy too. And the last thing is that if I see it right there are quite many hard edges, if you go for the realism you should soften those too, IMHO. :)

Keep it up! ^^
  • TactMasterZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TactMasterZero polycounter lvl 17
    i think it could use an extra layer of filth and maybe a spot where somebody wrote "WASH ME" with their finger for additional humor :)
  • Zodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zodd polycounter lvl 11
    Well ... it was my intention to make it look realistic so I'll go back to try and grunge it up a bit.

The thing is metal/paint and car surface looks like galvanizes metal ( at least to me ) which makes little sense when you think about it, but ill try to implement that in some "makes sense" way
    Will also crank up the Ambient occlusion on the diffuse it has it now but it does have little effect now that you mentioned it.

And i will definitely put that "WASH ME" somewhere :D

Thank you guys for feedback ill be back soon as i have something new to show
  • Zodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zodd polycounter lvl 11
    Hello everyone, long time no update but i have something "new" to show and ask :)
    I've fiddled some more with the textures and materials and got some decent result ( compared to my previous attempts at texturing ) however i am still getting some .. washed out and
    diffuse only look, from certain angles, i am missing something big here but i can't pinpoint
    what...
    My guess is the light source is washing out my spec map from certain angles, and i understand
    that it is normal but it is washing out almost all of the specular property of the material...
    Maybe adding more light or adjusting settings of the existing ( 1 light ) would help ?

Also the car paint material now looks ... better :) but still it should more matted/reflective.
    Maybe it's just me, I've been looking too much at it and overloaded, need your critique on this
    one, and any other comment and critique you might have are very welcome :)

6i4v.jpge0z8.jpg1rtx.jpg

This last image shows the issue... nothing "happens" with the materials ( maybe but "maybe" wheels ) bare metal around bullet entry points is, or rather should be
    reflective... but if that were the only issue i would be happy.. looks like diffuse
    only.

Sorry for the long post, and as always any comments and critiques are very much
    welcome.
  • ToffeeApple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ToffeeApple polycounter lvl 8
    Hi Zodd

It would be nice to see your new texture maps.

From what I can see your maps are using flat colours and havn't enough variation. You need to add some noise to them. Find an image of noise for the material you are creating and layer this over your texture.

Below is an example from a quick google image search of what I mean by noise. That is noise from a metal material.
    http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?hl=en&biw=1404&bih=959&tbm=isch&tbnid=DcmQ5KDtOsMGAM:&imgrefurl=http://thesludgelord.blogspot.com/2012/03/merdarahta-are-back.html&docid=MHZG65By3OU7CM&imgurl=http://f0.bcbits.com/z/34/22/3422505497-1.jpg&w=350&h=350&ei=4TwzUqhG5sTsBvWqgfAI&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:3,s:0,i:89&iact=rc&page=1&tbnh=174&tbnw=194&start=0&ndsp=32&tx=79&ty=53
  • Zodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zodd polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for the input, i did add noise but it was via photoshop /Add Noise, i will try and add some
    more noise, and variations in diffuse.
    It is my considered opinion that whatever it is it should be some subtle change, like you
    suggested, to give it more metallic look, since i ( think :) ) I've added most of the big details like rust, peeled, bleached and scratched paint. But this is a big " i think " :)

Anyways here are the flats Diffuse and Specular ( no gloss )

0zzn.jpg

Should have uploaded these before .... After all i was asking for texture correction :)
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Its getting better each time you post so that is good. Do you have an reference pictures of worn car paint that you are trying to match? I also think ignoring the gloss is a bad idea. You have a lot of different materials that need a gloss map to be defined. For example dried mud and exposed metal will not have the same roughness.

Maybe this will help
    paint_layers_300.gif
  • TactMasterZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like the dirty windshield, but the exposed glass area that's been cleaned by the wipers should be more shiny and reflective than the dirt. right now the difference in specularity for those areas is indistinguishable.
  • TactMasterZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maybe it's a shader network issue that is causing your specularity problem. is everything connected correctly?...
  • Zodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zodd polycounter lvl 11
    Yes, you are absolutely right about gloss map, the reason i didn't use them is i don't understand
    them that good, every time i implement them i get some dulling results ( cause I'm not using them properly ) spec map controls how "shiny/reflective" surface is and gloss controls the sharpness of the reflected "image/reflection" ??? or am i totally off here ?

Thank you for the image of surface defects, its gonna come in handy when i revise the
    textures, and hopefully implement gloss maps ( have to go back and research those in depth )

Thank you all for the feedback and help, i wanted to get this piece done but I'll put some more
    time in it to make it better :)
  • ToffeeApple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zodd - the problem with noise in Photoshop is that it doesn't look very natural and isn't necessarily specific to the material.

Regarding the gloss map yes you are along the right lines. In Marmoset you can test out the way the gloss works in a very basic sense to get a feel for what it does. The gloss map is the equivalent of the specular sharpness slider. What I sometimes do is move the specular sharpness slider until I get a level I like. If this is a low number then the gloss map needs to be dark if it's a high number then light. So a dark map means low gloss - large highlights. A light map means high gloss, sharp highlights.

I'm going to link you to Racer's texturing tutorial because I learnt everything from this. http://oesterkilde.dk/racer445.html
    I know I'm always linking this in these forums - but it's just so good!
  • Zodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zodd polycounter lvl 11
    Hello again !

I've been busy with some other work in the past... two months, but now I'm back on this one (again).
    All of the C&C were very much welcome and i think I've managed to implement them to "some" degree into the texturing process, and while i am aware that it does not look like the textures improved very much from the last post ( which was almost a month ago ) i have learned a lot about material properties ( mainly gloss ) but somehow i just cannot implement it right.

Also what may be causing the problem is the fact that this is a very low poly, with lack of "physical" details ( details are 90% of the time just normal map, like door handles ) and its 1024x1024px in size.... but then again people ( on this forum at least ) have proven that better results can be achieved with even smaller textures.... soo no excuse there :)
    On the note of low poly, maybe I'm taking screenshots too close, and that 1024 is popping out?

I will definitely spend some more time on this one fiddling with the textures and so on, but as always comments and critiques are more than welcome, after all that's why i am posting the images :) Maybe i am overlooking something obvious, or some huge problem because of the fact that i am looking at this for embarrassingly long time now.

zmqu.png
    7ci9.png

And here are the flats, this time with gloss map
    yd02.jpg
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    It's looking better and better with every post! From the screenshots you showed I don't think the size of the maps is hurting it at all, you can only tell a little bit that the door handles are baked on. I think of the latest version you nailed the amount of grunge that is in the concept. Do you plan on doing the text on the side of the car at all?
  • ToffeeApple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your textures are much improved. Good job :) Are you going to be doing more work on the gun? It feels like it needs some more dirt/scratches.
  • Zodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zodd polycounter lvl 11
    Thank you all for the feedback, i was thinking i was going away from the original concept since
    it didn't have as much grunge and damage, but i guess the tiny details such as rust and
    scratches were not meant to be in the concept, so i guess it's ok ?
    Also I've learned a lot from doing this piece, ( after all it's been a few months :) ) the model is
    generally full of bad practices, such as bad UV's too much low poly in some places and parts
    such as the machine gun it's essentially only a square with a some floating geometry here and
    there and the list goes on, but it's not in vain since i know now what to pay attention to next
    time i start something.

-@ Alemja -Ah yes, the text on the side, i didn't have the right font in the beginning so i
    skipped that part until i get the font, still looking for the font, looks like some sort of slab-serif but i can't find the right one, looks like ill have to contact the concept artist and ask him about this, i think the colors would benefit from some more white and definitely from that red to break up the blues and give some more material/color variation

-@ ToffeApple - Thank you, and yes everything gets another "pass" since i would like to include the gloss maps ( nothing except car chassis has them at the moment ) and make some more material differences, the gun, wheels and even the inside of the car will get some more attention :)

Thank you all for comments and critiques