Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Folding Batarang - feedback needed

Hey guys,

I've ventured back into the shiny shiny of AAA art making. Something I haven't really looked at for the past two years working on games where that knowledge wasn't really needed. I pretty much gave myself a heart attack when I realised how much I'd forgotten about the process.

So if you could be so kind as to help me out a little I'd be very much appreciative. (The more I look at it the more I'm aware of how ugly it is *shudder*)

There does seem to be some normal map weirdness going on, on the left blade there. I thought you could use mirrored geo with flipped UVs without any trouble but I as I am getting this as a result, maybe I was wrong? :poly102:

I didn't want to grunge in up loads, but I don't want it to be boring either so it's a bit of a balancing act and I've not got it right yet so yeeahhhhh... drop some knowledge bombs for me :)

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 4
    Hi ballooncity

A few comments, feel free to ignore:

- Like you mentioned, to me the texture kind of looks too clean and plain. You don't need to go crazy on the wear and tear, but I think it could use a bit (unless batman just got it from Fox), or maybe add some patterns/contours to make it less dull. I'm not sure if you have a reference, but if you have none, you could try to check out folding/military knives--they have grips/contours/designs that add to appeal and sometimes functionality.
    - for the blade curvature and the the bottom part of where it folds, you could add more polys to appear less boxy. I feel like there's a mismatch with the polycount of the those and the center screw.
    - on first look, I feel like the silver part where the blade is screwed on and the blades are one (sliding along a path) because of the similar color. You could try to change the color for that. While we're there, would be nice to maybe add some details on the screw too
    - don't know if it's intentional, but the cavity on the blade looks really flat

Hope that helps, but like I said, I'm no pro so feel free to ignore them
  • ballooncity247
    Hey Paolo,

thanks for the reply, have to say I agree with you on most, if not all of your points. I didn't have any ref so I kind of had a vague idea and just started building. Probably not the best workflow ever but hey ho :P

I know what you mean about the polycount difference - that was because I was having a normal map issues when baking and was told having some more resolution in there would help... which it did but now yeaahhhhh there is a discrepency between them for sure... hmmmmmmm
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 4
    Some people are pretty good at conceptualizing on the fly, but even if it's tempting to do so, it's usually better to take some time and sketch out your ideas. By the way (don't kill me) I just realized that because of the shape, seems to me that no matter which way you close it, the sharp edges of the blade are still going to be sticking out. Might hurt bats before he throws it.
  • ballooncity247
    Yeah totally - I did a few silhouette sketches, but nothing with surface details, that's what I get for just wanting to get on and build something :poly124:

And as for the "no way to throw without hurting Bats" - I'm somewhat inclined to agree, but I think this also rings true for most weapons, I like to this that the risk is minimised due to the points of the blades meet the middle hinge (see attached img) but who knows!

Thanks again bro :)