Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My First UDK scene Fallout Vault 0 - Environment

twdh.png

So there... I work at Warner Brothers montreal and using Unreal for Batman Arkham Origins I really just wanted to make something where i could learn it from the ground up on my own. I always loved fallout so why not make a scene on that. Maybe next gen it up/add a little color and see what happens?

So I treated this project like I would treat anything I do at work. Every part I made was snap able to the grid. I originally wanted a camera fly through, and to build the outside of Vault 0 but Figured this is good for now. I also was felt like i was remaking the game after a while.

The one thing I wanted to capture here was the FEEL of fallout without just making it as they did. The same props but with a touch more detail. I wanted to add color also and make a scene when you look at it you know you've seen it before but not sure where. So the idea here is that Vault 0 was an actual military base (scratching the original vault 0 idea) and that people lived in here. The grandest and most important people.. its 0 its gotta be the best right? exactly! So I wanted to make parts look more polished then the rest of the vaults.. This was made with love as the others were cooky cutter type vaults.

I cant model characters so i made a robot called Andy. Hes a knock off of the from the Lost in space robot. Its supposed to be a Handy Robot so Andy rhymed with that.

One last thing. I wanted to also add branding to the parts in here. Something that when you saw it you knew where it was from. This is something to me the game lacked. Like anything made but a company branding is a huge part of it. its name is always on there someplace. Other wise enough of my ranting.

Heres a bunch of pictures. From the modular parts i made, to how the set fit together, to just the props. Again the goal was to learn UDK not so much fine polish the art to every detail. Learning the shaders, lighting system, the tv scans and animates, there is dust in the air and steam.. there was moving fog but that felt too scary.

98ao.png

cy5g.png

okg.png

2u21.png

3wu3.png

ovug.png

n9p.png

xvx1.png

jrat.png

xji.png

Thanks for watching. The work is also on www.Ackmaster.Biz

Replies

• Ack Master
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oops theres more renders i forgot to put up.. ehh ackmaster.biz if you'd like to see em
  • Demokk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Demokk polycounter lvl 3
    It looks really nice!

The only thing that jumps out to me is the robots. They seem like if they were frozen, posing to the camera instead of doing robotsy stuff, but it is probably a weird nitpick of mine.

It really has that fallout feeling/style. Nice job!
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-Train polycounter lvl 15
    Ack! To match your first UDK scene post on Polycount, here is my first solid criticsm of this scene.

Much like Conan on his clueless gamer reviews. Here is my criticsm and score:

The scene shown is somewhere in between a Batmobile and a Shelby Cobra but with a Tyrannosaurus Rex powered ion engine.

Numerical score, you are between 7,345 triangles combined with another model made up of 30,235 vertices subtracted by the speed of the enterprise at Warp 9.7 then multiplied by infinity.

Sincerely A-Train, unknown member of Polycount.
  • Ack Master
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahahahahahha ahhhhhh hilarious :) love it! Thanks a lot A train :)

Demokk - yeah i totally agree with you. Probably should have move one leg forward or in a bent position like it was walking. When you pointed it out my first thought was... how the hell did i miss that?!