Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

sculpty the facey hurhur

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
jksl polycounter lvl 4
Sooo yea i saw one of my friends drawings and i said errrmygawd i must make but i already know some areas of her face need work still a big ol'e work in progress WIP>>>>><<<<<

saa.jpg

Replies

• jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    *tumble weeds* any critiques? or however you spell that ;P
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    wip.jpg i really wanted to see how to she looked liked colored i think she is adorbs but i honestly have no clue how to sculpt hair :( so sorry for that in advance
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Hi jksl - here are a couple of suggestions.

1 - Don't work with colors until you are much further along in modeling. Beginners (and non-beginners actually) make the mistake of correcting for improper anatomy by painting in detail in the wrong places, or light information where there should be none. Get yourself to a good place in your sculpt before approaching polypainting/color.

2 - Don't work so high-res. You have enough problems in your base-level mesh that sculpting in the higher subdivions isn't going to do you any good. For instance, her mouth looks like sausages stapled to her face. This is because in the lower levels, she has no definition of shape, where the corners of her mouth turn inwards. Working in lower subdivs also helps you to see the actual shapes you are creating, instead of the details, and gives you a much better platform to controlling where you go on a macro level.

3 - Anatomy is easier to produce when it does not exist in a vacuum. Poorly worded I suppose, but my meaning is that it can be hard to properly analyze and sculpt a persons head when their neck is missing. I find it hard to do it when the shoulders are missing as well. On a person, everything is relative, and each piece of anatomy depends on the others to bring scale and proportion with it. You'll have a much easier time doing these things if you've got them in your scene.

4 - Take a look at an anatomy book. Most everything here is off in one way or another. Use plenty of references, and not references of pretty women, but high-res references of proportional faces. Take them into photoshop and draw on them to highlight the major forms, then bring them into zbrush with you and use them as guides.

Good luck, and keep up the thread, show us your progress.
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    ysalex wrote: »
    Hi jksl - here are a couple of suggestions.

1 - Don't work with colors until you are much further along in modeling. Beginners (and non-beginners actually) make the mistake of correcting for improper anatomy by painting in detail in the wrong places, or light information where there should be none. Get yourself to a good place in your sculpt before approaching polypainting/color.

2 - Don't work so high-res. You have enough problems in your base-level mesh that sculpting in the higher subdivions isn't going to do you any good. For instance, her mouth looks like sausages stapled to her face. This is because in the lower levels, she has no definition of shape, where the corners of her mouth turn inwards. Working in lower subdivs also helps you to see the actual shapes you are creating, instead of the details, and gives you a much better platform to controlling where you go on a macro level.

3 - Anatomy is easier to produce when it does not exist in a vacuum. Poorly worded I suppose, but my meaning is that it can be hard to properly analyze and sculpt a persons head when their neck is missing. I find it hard to do it when the shoulders are missing as well. On a person, everything is relative, and each piece of anatomy depends on the others to bring scale and proportion with it. You'll have a much easier time doing these things if you've got them in your scene.

4 - Take a look at an anatomy book. Most everything here is off in one way or another. Use plenty of references, and not references of pretty women, but high-res references of proportional faces. Take them into photoshop and draw on them to highlight the major forms, then bring them into zbrush with you and use them as guides.

Good luck, and keep up the thread, show us your progress.

i really appreciate you taking your time and telling me these things i am still practicing trying to learn how to sculpt the face properly without any formal training and no not using as excuse just difficult is all trying to find tuts on how to do these about the reference i am not using a humans picture it's one of my friends drawings that i found to be pretty almost and was just testing the color here cause me and polypaint do not get along at all lol i will keep posting :D
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Use a real human face for reference. It will serve you better.

Think about buying Andrew Loomis' "Figure Drawing for all its Worth."
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I have to echo mr. panda here, using a properly taken reference photo is extremely important, even more so that you're just starting out. preferably something taken with a low FOV to minimize perspective distortion errors on your part. Search the free samples on 3d.sk perhaps.
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    Use a real human face for reference. It will serve you better.

Think about buying Andrew Loomis' "Figure Drawing for all its Worth."

yes i've been thinking about sculpting human faces for a while now i will definitely check it out ^^ and also by any chance would you know of any good tutorial sites?
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    ysalex wrote: »
    I have to echo mr. panda here, using a properly taken reference photo is extremely important, even more so that you're just starting out. preferably something taken with a low FOV to minimize perspective distortion errors on your part. Search the free samples on 3d.sk perhaps.

Thank you dear i will definitely check it out thank you very much i'm very grateful you commented my thread i do love your work :)
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Feel free to browse thru similar thread I asked awhile back about similar things.
    I got tons of feedback I'm sure you will benefit from it too.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122731
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Feel free to browse thru similar thread I asked awhile back about similar things.
    I got tons of feedback I'm sure you will benefit from it too.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122731

Oooh wow thank you!
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    Capture-1.png well She is supposed to be wearing a hood but honestly i have noooo clue how to do outfits and such :(
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You make the hood using another subtool.
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    You make the hood using another subtool.

yes i know but it's difficult lol i don't understand the mechanics to it and also did the face improve?
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    The face is definitely better, but the rest of the skull is way out of proportion. The face is just one part of the entire head. It would help us give you a better critique if you post a profile and 3/4 view along with the front.

I would start here:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=images+proportions+of+the+head

After you've studied some of those and have come to grips with the basic proportions, check out this webinar with Ryan Kingslien. It is loaded with tons of good information on the topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bQ6QHcg6s4
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    The face is definitely better, but the rest of the skull is way out of proportion. The face is just one part of the entire head. It would help us give you a better critique if you post a profile and 3/4 view along with the front.

I would start here:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=images+proportions+of+the+head

After you've studied some of those and have come to grips with the basic proportions, check out this webinar with Ryan Kingslien. It is loaded with tons of good information on the topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bQ6QHcg6s4

yes i've been practicing and i would also like to know of a way to make a hood and plane hair
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you talking about how to shape a blob of clay into a hood by dynameshing?

Also, you can make the planes in Maya or similar package. It will be a lot easier.
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    Are you talking about how to shape a blob of clay into a hood by dynameshing?

Also, you can make the planes in Maya or similar package. It will be a lot easier.

yea! can't find many tuts on that :(
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    The character in your profile pic has a hood, is that one yours? I would just use the same techniques for the new hood you're trying to do.

Keep in mind General>Specific. Break down the hood until it is simple geometric shapes you can visualize in your head, then model or sculpt it out. Then you can worry about wrinkles and making it more hoody.

Also, you don't seem to use periods so when I read one of your sentences my brain-voice runs out of breath xD

Keep on working!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep pulling out the general shape you need, dynameshing it when you start losing even quads.
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    Selaznog wrote: »
    The character in your profile pic has a hood, is that one yours? I would just use the same techniques for the new hood you're trying to do.

Keep in mind General>Specific. Break down the hood until it is simple geometric shapes you can visualize in your head, then model or sculpt it out. Then you can worry about wrinkles and making it more hoody.

Also, you don't seem to use periods so when I read one of your sentences my brain-voice runs out of breath xD

Keep on working!
    lmao!!! you're brain voice funny, Yes the one in the profile is mine but the hood thing i made was super fat lol just pushed a sphere into face i will try and work on it ^^
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    Capture-2.jpg
    Hey guys :3 i know this is bad antatomy but this is supposed to be a mask :( hopefully it translates well
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl, do you have a reference? I'm afraid you might be working towards your own expectation of good art instead of some reference you're trying to imitate for a mask.
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    i was using a picture i drew earlier today
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message