Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] The Riddler's Den

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
Hello Polycounters!

Now that I'm back from Uni and have a load of free time I want to get started on an interesting project. I plan on making a small UDK environment based on the Riddler from DC Comics. The scene I have in my head is a small, dark, dirty apartment, glowing green from multiple computer screens where the Riddler hides while he challenges Batman to solve his Riddle Death Traps.

I've only built one other environment in UDK before so I'm hoping to learn a lot more about materials and lighting with this project!

Here's a moodboard with some ideas.

kso.png
6ye.png

And here's a block out in Max:

EbSo0P0.png

Thanks for looking!

Replies

• Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, I've gotten some of the walls done, and here's a bed I made tonight. Typically a bunch of things have come up as I started making this, so it's still early days with most of the scene.

O7JFAOY.png?1?4576

Does anyone have any advice when it comes to doing high poly builds for things like bedsheets? The one you see there is a cloth simulation from max but I've considered sculpting it in Zbrush too.
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, I feel I owe you all an explanation about why it's been so long since I updated this. Basically, I lost focus, I'm on my summer holidays and there are games I wanted to play and people I wanted to see. I was coming in and fiddling with small assets but not really achieving anything.

Not to mention, I still don't have a nailed down pipeline that I'm comfortable with. I would build assets but then be unsure about whether I should import them into UDK, or start texturing or start baking or whatever and It starts to become overwhelming. It gets to the point, where I do one thing, then I worry that by doing it, and not doing something else, say considering lighting, I'm being efficient. All these factors lead to me getting stale and not doing any real work, and it's something I have to work on.

However, I've come back to it, after looking at some other Polycounter workflows and I think I've started on a worlflow that I find comfortable and suits me as an artist. And here are some progress shots. Still a LOT to do, but I've achieved a fair amount in the last day, and have a number of assets ready for baking and texturing. Overall, I feel a lot more confident about my ability to complete this in a decent amount of time and to a great standard:

gi0e.png
    gr7i.png

Textures are obviously a placeholder and I was hoping someone might be able to suggest any good shader tutorials for things like computer screens :D

Comments and criticisms are extremely appreciated!
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Give this a look. Helped me a lot. In part two you could either use real world footage (something created in after effects?) or do an animation. Anyways the tutorials are well worth the money. For $15 for each series you can't go wrong.

https://www.3dmotive.com/f106301
    https://www.3dmotive.com/downloads
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOes anyone know of any good techniques for creating a modular pipe set? Any links would be appreciated :)
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had errands to run today, so I only had time to get started on a Video Camera prop, the idea being Riddler would broadcast himself over Gotham, kind of like he does in Arkham City.

ycza.png
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Looking great man. Always been a fan of the Riddler. That brick texture is looking pretty damn nice already.

As for your pipe query... I usually just model on the grid and snap pieces about. However i have just seen an update in the news area about a new zpipe maker tool that runs in Maya. Not too sure what your using. I'm on Max, so I'm slightly gutted.

Anyways, i saw it and thought i'd give you the heads up!

All the best with your project :)
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Ah, I've been trying that myself but I wasn't sure if it was working or not. I was having trouble figuring out how to get corner pieces to snap properly on any axis (IE Where the pivot point should be).

I'm using Max too unfortunately, :( But thanks for the comments anyway! :)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to say that I liked that Max blockout you did at the start better than the simple room. It had a good separation of spaces in it which led to better composition. IMO, anyway. The single empty room with stuff pushed up against the walls kind of gives it a last-gen game look ...
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, I took out the arch because I couldn't figure out how I should approach texturing it, but I might put it back in because I agree, I did think it looked more interesting with it in. Thanks for the feedback :)
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been Making Progress, with the Camera HP today :) Need to get braver in making detail into the mesh rather than using floaters:

mVZa8km.png
    h6yf.png
    BRFGaYz.png

And I took into account what Warren said about liking the composition with the split in the room, and I have to agree, I prefer it too. I decided instead of the arch, though, to have some ceiling support pillars and a half wall between them. I think it gives the scene better composition without making it feel cramped, but let me know what you think! I also added a few more assets.

None of the assets are final of course!

fln8.png
    rzbo.png
    4kha.png
    cre7.png

Comments and Criticisms are appreciated as always!
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty much finished the camera HP, just a few more details I want to add. I've also been creating a few more general assets, including a bookcase and some exterior building facades to give the impression of there being a street outside.

kEjalBE.png
    kbup.png
    s92o.png
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the scene. GOing to try and bash out as many props as possible tomorrow, so as to speed up and get to texturing. Screens are in Detail Lighting since there are no real textures yet!

9ljo.png
    n35j.png

Comments and criticisms are needed!

I also found a way of making pipes but would love some more suggestions. I think I'm making more a deal out of it than it really is, but I can't seem to find a reliable way of making sure they snap together constantly in UDK.
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Kai, I'll do that :D
  • Kroma!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! polycounter lvl 9
    For your pipes you could try this:
    Check out the PipeGen Script:
    http://jokermartini.com/2012/12/03/pipes-gen/#.Ugo85JLbNsI

You can do something a little more manual on your own by carefully managing the pivots, carefully placing verts in key spots or placing dummies at the beginning and end of your pipes, making it easy to snap to.

Splines are also great at getting you started, they give you some good UV's to start with also.
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the link, I'll give that a shot :)
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, quick update before bed, I took Kai's advice and boosted my ambient light (a little too much maybe) and added a few more assets (finally got my pipe making workflow figured out!). Just a few more assets to go and then I feel I can start really texturing and getting the lighting how I really want it :)

1PX3YV.png
    J5vcKD.png
    rXNWrh.png
    s0UpSv.png

As usual, comments and criticisms are sought after, but it's been a bit quiet in here :P
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not going to be able to update this for a week, as I'm going to Gamescom in Germany :D Hope to see some of you there!
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, back from Germany now, had a brilliant time at Gamescom and made a few connections with various Studios :D Going to get stuck back into this this week!
  • ng.aniki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ng.aniki polycounter lvl 13
    Hi ! For the problem with the light going through your wall, you need to know that shadows are not casted when the light is coming from behind a face. (because of backface culling), you should model something that will block the light, from the other side of the wall, outside of the building.

You could also check two sided on those faces, but it is not good for optimisation.

Edit: Strange you did not have that before.

Otherwise, for the lighting, you need to focus more, on a specific mood you are going for. Look at the reference pictures, each environment has its main color mood.
    But in your scene you have big vvery saturated green light, very saturated blue light, some yellow ambient-like light, and additionnal yellow point lights. This is too much, too many different colors, it has no homogeneity.

I think there was a chapter about that in Hourences's book: the Hows and Whys of level design.

Edit2: I think you should add more stuffs on the wall next to the monitors. The riddlers is a little bit mad, I would imagine a huge non sense mess on this wall, many papers, maps, pictures, like an obsessive psycho would have in his apartment !
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, ng!
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update! First textured assets! I've also played with the lighting but don't have screens of that yet :P

trlt.png
    i1fr.png
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update, added more assets and changed lighting. I took ng's advice and decided to limit my lighting to a specific colour. I feel now I have enough assets to fill the environment and will try and fill in a lot of the blanks (The walls and floor) with decals of mad scribblings, painted question marks, grime, rubbish and such. It's time I started cracking texturing on the head properly because I've spent far too much time on this scene now. and I'm itching to start something new.

rnq1.png
    13qo.png
    jjis.png
    211i.png
    5k81.png
    v1s1.png
    p3e1.png
    j9za.png

I do have book assets to place on the shelves and elsewhere around the room, but I don't have them in engine yet :)
  • Endfinity Jon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endfinity Jon polycounter lvl 8
    Hey Neil - saw this RT by Polycount, thought I'd jump in and give some thoughts since you were looking for critique.

I like your block-out and mood pieces. Your high-poly work is pretty cool too and I like the textured crate as well. I think your brick is pretty noisy though, looks almost...furry?

The biggest thing that's going to get you in the right direction is lighting. Some of your earlier iterations were stronger, but there was way too much color and saturation. Your current iteration is swimming in green and it's hard to read the depth of the space because everything is receiving a lot of that same hue.

Firstly, as mentioned before, get some back faces put in so your window cast can be more accurate. It's really distracting that there's so much light pouring in when realistically, it shouldn't be. 2nd, crank up your lightmap resolution. The information hitting your floor and wall looks extremely blobby and low res. Let's get something more accurate coming in. 3rd, check your model shading. Some of the assets have some poor shading. Getting these essential foundations taken care of will hopefully make you feel better about the scene.

Finally, I think you should concentrate on getting your lighting and mood a lot further along before you go about making more assets for the scene. Once you start nailing that, you're gonna be excited to see this piece to completion.

I think you need to remove the monitor lighting entirely for this first pass. Capture what it feels like to have natural lighting pouring through the window by the bed. Is it day? Is it night? Whatever you choose, keep it soft, and watch your saturation and color. Let the bounces dissipate so that the corners and ceiling get darker than your impact point. I'd play with it, but only shoot for one or two bounces and make sure that they're not very intense. Allowing too much ambient light into the scene is flattening it out and making the read very muddy.

Start there first. Nail that side of the room and then you can start adding the focal screens into the mix. I think right now you're so concentrated on the screen that it's taking over everything. You're using a giant green point light that doesn't have a lot of directionality, it's pretty saturated, and it's soaking everything up with light. Adding your natural light on top of that is only adding to the problem. Try to work backwards, nailing the natural feeling of the space first and then introduce the weird/crazy focal point to contrast what you've done with the natural light.

Your "Lighting Only" shots are very telling about how the light is moving through the space. Continue posting those as it paints a good picture as to what you need to be focusing on. You might find some useful lighting tips in my blog (in my signature)...maybe. I'll be on the lookout for updates, good luck to you!

-Jon
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thanks Jon! Very informative and I'll get straight to doing that! Lighting is definitely, (In my own opinion) my weakest point, and not being completely familiar with UDK yet it's something I'm definitely trying to nail down properly. A lot of the assets don't have proper lightmaps yet though, is that something I should consider getting done before getting stuck into the lighting?

I'll also take a look at your blog too and
  • Endfinity Jon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, no problem!

While I wouldn't nessasarily say that you should create a full suite of 2nd (perfectly mapped) set of UV's for all of your assets, I would say that at the very least you generate a 2nd set in Unreal for the time being. When you're polishing up each asset, spend some time creating a nice lightmap UV set for each. For now, a decent 2nd set should be okay and if you're not familiar, you can do this in UDK. If you open your asset properties, open the mesh drop down in the upper left and select "Generate Unique UV's". You'll get a little window in the bottom right corner that you can fuss with and then apply. For now, that should hopefully give you a decent 2nd set layout.

You can edit each mesh to have it's own resolution by adjusting the "Light Map Resolution" - early on, try a lower number as you experiment so your bakes go faster, maybe 32/64? You can also select all of your assets and do a blanket resolution override and they'll all inherit that value.

For your final bakes for show and tell, maybe bump up the resolution so we can see things a little crisper.

No worries about feeling weak in the lighting department, we all have lots to learn. Don't be afraid like I said, to just delete all the lights in the scene and start simple. Try to nail the time of day and the natural light that would be spilling in the window. Go for something soft as you'll want your focal point to be the screens.

Good luck, looking forward to what you come up with!
    -Jon
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, taking Jon's advice I spent this afternoon doing naught but play with the scene lighting and I must say, I feel it's a major improvement already. I think I'll keep plugging away at it though, brightening some lights and really nail down the focus of the scene. But overall, I'm really pleased with what I've achieved now! :D

9loo.png
    u2cn.png
    bql0.png
    b8x8.png
    pol2.png
    pa1ERK9.png
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I played with the lights some more today and I'm sitting pretty happily on what I've got now :D Got a few more things to adjust (Like street lights etc.) but I'ts getting there! I also spent some time updating assets with nicer lightmaps and unwraps and making the room feel fuller :)

o0aR9DY.jpg
    gmY6Kfv.png
    JKxNLy5.jpg
    zyuDyXp.jpg
    DAZQaN5.jpg
    up18iRC.jpg
    1Vbmfou.jpg
    5OiFGKL.jpg

KBseFy3.png

Comments and critique are very much welcome!
  • Endfinity Jon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, this is looking much better. Nice strides in the lighting. I think the overall softness of the natural night lighting is being portrayed pretty well, especially on the bed/window side of the room. I think your next step is separating the two spaces a bit more if you can.

JKxNLy5.jpg

I like what you have here so I think you could try balancing your focal point against the rest of the scene. Looking at your lighting only, there's a lot of green filling the space. I'm not sure if that's your environment color or just some big fill from your screens. When everything has that green wash, you lose some of the shape and definition in your space.

I did a paint-over of a few things I think you could try.

Original
    fGWtix5.jpg

Paint-Over
    IaFmgt1.jpg

I introduced a soft purple to offset your green; purple has a mystery about it and I think it'll add some interesting mood here. Throw it in your environment color maybe? Overall, I tried to offset your back room from your screen room. I've pulled back the influence of your green screen lighting, but it's more dramatic at it's impact point; it has a stronger attenuation so it falls off quicker. I think having the greens sit on top of the darker purple read better than just, green on green. Gradients are important here; left to right, top to bottom. The bedside lamp is strong, then soft, hitting some of the meshes along the way. The ambience of the night fills the rest of that space going from the soft orange to the soft dark purple. Same with your screens, really bright greens at the desk and softer, darker greens inching away from the frame.

Just some suggestions for pushing it further. See if you can make the scene pop more so the eye travels about. I find that bright focals that gradient to less important areas help the eye move.

Keep at it,
    -Jon
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Again, massive thanks Jon! That's very close to the idea I had in my head at the beginning and is exactly what I'll be aiming for.Have you any tips on how to adjust the influence of lights besides adjusting their lightmass settings? And how would I go about adding an offset colour? Is it another environment light or is it an option within the current environment light?

As I've said, this is the furthest I've come with lights in UDK, bar placing them and just hoping for the best!
  • Endfinity Jon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No worries, Neil. I find that critiquing keeps me sharp, so I'm happy to do it!

It might be helpful to do a screen of the scene with the lights in it (not in game-mode) so I can see what you're using. BUT, just making a guess, you have a light over by the monitors that is having a pretty big influence on the scene. Couple things you can try here.

First, in the World Properties, you can turn up or down the number of bounces your GI does. I think at default it's 3 (not sure) so you might want to turn it down to 2. To answer your questions about the "offset color", which UDK would call its "Environment Color" - that's also found in the World Properties tab. At default, it's black. Introduce a soft deep purple there and that should give you that coloration in the areas of the scene where lighting is absent.

Finally, and I think this will help the most, the actual light source itself. Go into the properties of the light that you're using for your screens. There's an indirect scale and saturation setting. Scale means how intense each subsequent bounce is. If you lower that number you'll find that the scattered bounced lighting won't travel as far. The saturation on the other hand controls the amount of color that is brought along on each bounce. I'd pull this down so that you're not pushing that green so far across the space. Also, double check your light attenuation, make sure the light isn't influencing the whole scene with a giant radius.

I'd recommend a few spot lights coming off the screens as apposed to a point light because a point light moves outward in all directions whereas a spot light offers directionality and that would be more realistic coming off the monitors.

Hopefully you can adjust those properties, do some test bakes, and get some better results. I already think you're making some nice strides here especially compared to your first few shots. I think you're about ready to give it another iteration of lighting and then move on to the asset work so you can start balancing everything together for the final look.

-Jon
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I spent most of today tweaking the lights and I think i'm finally onto something that I like:

hiti.png
    a5tx.png
    y69n.png

Let me know what you think! I feel I'm about ready to start tying everything together with textures :)
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Went over it again and adjusted the saturation of the green light, which I think makes the scene a lot nicer. I'm just wondering if the back wall (left of the image) is maybe too dark? Or should I keep it that way to maintain the mood of the scene?

Forb3Vn.jpg
  • Endfinity Jon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saturation adjustment was a good call. Might want to consider tweaking it a bit more making sure it loses some of that saturation as it falls off. Everything else is starting to feel better too, I'm feeling the directionality of the light more.

One thing I'm noticing is the warmer lamp light pool sitting right beside the green monitor pool. While the lamp light moves through the space pretty well, the monitor light seems to kinda stick to the floor like mud. You could try pushing your monitor lights just a bit further into the scene so they subtlety touch the back wall. Maybe just adjust the strength of the bounce? That would offer some nice contrast - your foreground wall and pipe would pick up that extra touch of color and value to sit over the darker background wall.

So far, I'm okay with the darks; we'd need to see it with textures to understand what it's doing to the scene as a whole. The darker values are a product of a nice gradient, so if you think your back corner is too dark, rework the light and the falloff before just upping the ambient. Adding too much ambient will start to wash out the scene.

These next updates I'd probably start posting textured shots (as well as some lighting only) so we get a better feel for the entire image. Also, are your screen lights casting shadows? The cane and chair are sitting in the light without anything grounding them.

Keep on truckin,
    -Jon
  • SirSpangles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirSpangles polycounter lvl 4
    If you're still looking for a good modular pipe set tutorial, I would suggest Zpipe maker 2.0 The guy who made it is on here here, and he sells it for $10 on polycount. Its well worth the money, I use it all the time, does wonders.
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jon - Yeah, I reckon I'll do that, I'll push the screen lights in a bit further, because I did like the splash on the back wall they gave originally and It'll sit better in my mind, more than it does now. Texturing will begin shortly but this project will slow down considerably by Sunday (Returning to University so Final Year Project and Advanced Game Dev studies will take priority) and I'm a little annoyed at myself for not pushing it earlier in the Summer. But it's a lesson for the future, and good motivator for future projects and I've definitely learnt a lot more than I knew originally. Even in the last few days my understanding of lighting a scene has come on leaps and bounds.

@Spangles - Thanks! I figured it out in the end but I'll definitely give that tool a look!
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
    this is looking good. Yea, maybe just push the monitor lights a little more, and some more ambient on the back wall.
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, hey guys, small update. I haven't posted any updates to this in about a month or so due to my starting my final year at Uni and working on my final year project. However, it seems things will be changing and THIS will (hopefully) become my final year project instead. Expect updates very soon.
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, everyone, little something I worked on today. Given the fact I'm getting to work on this again, I decided to include a few more props:

nAXjDZ0.png?1

Just some small things, to make other stuff (like the random Rockets scattered everywhere) make more sense.
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, guys, update for you all. Basically, I'm working on this again but as my Final Year Project for University. My original aim with this was to have it as a summer project then move onto something else for my Final Year. Therefore, I had a pretty small amount of time to get any art done, thanks to my starting the project late in the summer. BUt since I'm now doing this as my FYP, I have a little bit (not tons!) of space to explain the idea a bit more and do a few more props and do some more visual storytelling with the piece as a whole. With this in mind, I'm going to expand the room into a small outer corridor, almost as if the Riddler has broken into a family's apartment and made the place his. The main room itself has changed a little as well, putting more emphasis on his "sound stage" corner.

Now then, now that's out the way, have some updates:

qls4.png

I've fiddled with the lighting again, increasing the saturation and light bounce slightly to make the room slightly brighter, but maintain the atmosphere I had going previously. I may adjust it again though, as I feel it's a tad too bright just now.

d6c1.png
    hhdb.png
    b9mq.png

I have no idea what I've done to my ambient directional light, but I have a feeling it's what's making the room feel too bright now. I may just delete it and redo it from scratch.

SauP9bt.jpg?1

This is what I'm picturing for the hallway area, nothing too complicated, simply a lead in into the main area, with possibly an overturned table and lamp and blood stains and question marks on the walls to suggest a forced entry.

Any comment's are highly appreciated as always!
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, finally got to a point where I'm happy with my lighting and it's going to stay that way for a while ;D

I've also made a start on the hallway area and I think it helps add a nice sense of space to the scene as a whole. Think i'm quite ready to get texturing proper now!

QT8g8fL.jpg?1
    0Mo1Ujx.png?1
    mX1wCug.jpg?1
    Un5p09G.jpg?1
    eKp8TG9.jpg?1

As usual, comments and crits are highly appreciated!
  • JBledsoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey this is looking really good. I was looking at your earlier screen shots of this project and it's come such a long way :) Good job!

I think the only thing I feel picky about is that small desk lamp back there. I feel like it's producing too large of an area of light. I've got a desk lamp the same size and sometimes it's a pain cause it produces more of a small cone of light rather than that nice sphere of light. Kinda like this....

resume.jpg

Anywho, good work so far :D really diggin' it.
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking at it again, I'm not sure I'm super happy with the Hallway light yet, after all. But I'm going to leave it a while I think.
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback JB!
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, seriously small update today. Just been working on filling in the Hallway area. I want to make it similar in idea to how the Riddler would rig traps using entire rooms in Arkham City, almost like a self destruct trap should Batman find his hideout.

I'm sorry there's still no textures but I'm having way too much fun building loads of stuff and filling up the space! :D I really need to push myself into doing some sculpting, baking and texturing and really getting the scene looking good. I'm very, very pleased with how far this has come though and I'm starting to feel it's looking pretty good too (I might be the only one though!)

XboA6ZW.jpg?1
    7t4iPfZ.jpg?1

C&C is greatly appreciated, as always!
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So it's been a long time coming, but I've finally started texturing stuff. Been messing with the new Toolbag as well :D

zhv6QcC.png?1
    p3VCP2v.png?1
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iw52.png
    pwvp.png
    9icd.png
    FCs1zYd.jpg?1

Few more shots!
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, long time, no post! It's been a while I know, but I've been on Christmas break and needed some time to recharge after a pretty hectic term. But now I'm back in full swing and hitting this thing on the head to get it looking awesome!

9o6v.png

I spent a lot of time trying to get the walls looking better and more interesting than the shoddy brick texture I started with. I think they look a lot better now and really help to give the scene a more "Batman Comic" feel that it was rather lacking. It was achieved using a method I'd never thought to try before, suggested by my friend. I created the diffuse texture first then unwrapped according to that, instead of the usual method and I'm very pleased with the results.

57vd.png

mr0s.png

5z40.png

I'm still thinking of something to fill that empty wall in this area though. The floor Im going to cover in rugs and decals (Of general rubbish and painted riddles) but I'd like something "theatrical" on the wall that would be seen by a player as they enter the room. My original thought was a large wooden board with a riddle concerning the explosive barrels but my first attempt was a bit shit and I didn't like the result. Any ideas would welcome, along with any to make the barrels more obvious as a trap. Right now they just look like they're being stored there.

i81z.png

I also took my first steps in actual material creation today (going beyond Diffuse, Specular and Normals) to create a falling rain effect on the windows. The result is okay but by no means perfect and I'd love any suggestions as to how to improve on it. What I'd REALLY like is for the rain to distort exterior light, the way it does in reality but I'm not sure if this would be too complicated to do.

cpmNOtS.png

quei.png

(I'd also like to know how to make animated gifs of the materials to show you guys better)

Cheers! C&C appreciated as always!
  • Sinking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What are you using for texturing? The bed and barrels look really good.

I guess the material setup is okay, but the texture you use is a bit strange for rain. I'm not sure how much time you have to create the rain, but this workshop video is not very hard to follow and it produces an amazing rain effect.

http://gamedesignplanet.com/Workshop/video.php?vid=8c6272433
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I using Photoshop for texturing and a little bit of nDo. Thanks for the link as well, I'll have a look at it today!