Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Konoha-inspired Village

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
Um...I'm a little bit nervous it's been such a long time since I posted something decent. Especially when I dish out crits to people all over the place. :poly136:

So yeah the last couple of weeks I've been working on something rather big and I guess this thread is way overdue already.

Either way.

Lately I've been feeling like I wanted to make something way more cartoony and easier on the eyes than your regular gritty environment. So I started researching a style that I liked which is inspired by your regular anim

Replies

• SirSpangles
    Offline / Send Message
    SirSpangles polycounter lvl 4
    This is looking really nice man, it really reminds me a Studio Gibli scene
  • Matīss_Sola
    I really like the style your going for.For me that's something I would wish to create in the future.
  • Mathew O
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    I really like it man, very different! The faces in the cliff look sick :D
  • Boyo
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    Relly really nice!!
    Nice vibrant colors!

2 comments : on the second picture the bounce light seems over saturated. Maybe that's what you wanted, but maybe it's too strong.
    Second : the leaves on the tree looks like they are placed on the branch, it feels unnatural.
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    So far I'm digging the work, and I know it's 99% not done :P My only comment is that currently I don't see a focal point. I see a great background though! Characters would change that, or perhaps repositioning your compositions. For example, the 2nd image could easily have a well in the foreground. You could tell a story around that.

Looking forward to more progress! I enjoy the color and vividness so far!
  • serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    serriffe polycounter lvl 9
    this is cool! I like the direction you are going with this, specially after saying that you have done so much realistic models for your work. I think it's good balance- and..on the side note,I'm a big fan of the manga- you got me hooked on this one :D
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    @SirSpangles
    Thanks man :) yeah I'm going for something cartoony. I think I've ended up somewhere in between but still recognizable as cartoony.

@Matī;ss_Sola
    Thanks man :) and I'm sure you will

@Mathew O
    What faces? xD Oh man, I see them now. You couldn't have told me sooner eh?

@Boyo
    Very true, right now I'm not sure how to control the color of the bounce. I still want the same brightness of the lightmap bakes but maybe less color from the bounce. Just need to know how to do that though xD

And yeah, I'll have a look at the trees :)

@mospheric

Right now I have way more than what's shown in the screenshots. I wouldn't really call these areas done =P so I've only shown off a tiny bit of the environment. I still got some city streets and stuff as well.

@serriffe
    Thanks man :) Yeah it's a change that's for sure. A scary one at that, never done this type of work before. You realize how much you actually rely on having dirt and grime doing the talking. xD
  • Boyo
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    I believe you can tweak the bounce saturation in the light entity setting, at lightmass section, something like Indirect lighting saturation
  • scotthomer
    Raspberry!

Looks great dude, would be really cool to get a focal point in the vista, a huge mountain? Another village up in the hills? At the moment the compositions are framing an empty blue sky perfectly.

Overall great work, kudos for doing something outside of your comfort zone bro!
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Nice work so far Chris :)

These are just suggestions not anything important but I gave it a shot in MS Paint because I don't have Photoshop on this computer, sorry hah :P

HSQGTFO.jpg

- I thought that there was too much empty sky, at least lack of interest in the upper part of the environment, so I thought of some telephone pole wires with some birds. Just a idea.

- Maybe some things in the foreground (Sorry I spelled it wrong in the picture) to lead the eye towards inwards towards the town, which is why I added a tree swing. The telephone pole does a good job on the left to show the person what's over there.

These are minor things and not really necessary but just a little suggestion, your environment looks great without it, but yeah. I am looking forward to see this one progress :)
  • NomadSoul2501
    Offline / Send Message
    NomadSoul2501 polycounter lvl 10
    Hahaa! Finally there shall be a reckoning, 'Mr. goes all over the place and helps people improve through crits', lol

Love the theme!
    Can't believe that as you said most of the materials start out as gray scale.
    I'd love to see a breakdown of that :)

Two things that stood out to me on that first shot would be:
    >the grass could use some color variation, right now it's so uniform and bright it almost captures the eye too much.
    >The red gate is a bit 'glowy'. If it is made of wood, I think it's still a bit too saturated.

Also I'll second what aajohny said.
    I always loved the naruto world for the mix of influences and I think some electricity/telephone cables would be a great touch.

cheers
  • nathdevlin
    Offline / Send Message
    nathdevlin polycounter lvl 12
    Heh,

'Bout time this ended up here :P I still like the saturated colours and soft lighting.

As you mentioned the inclusion of smaller details such as rocks and flowers could quickly resolve any compositional issues.

As some have mentioned the addition of a more specific focal point can help.

Another solution would be where aajohnny placed the birds on a wire in the mid-ground you could also be subtler and place a castle, shrine and or city/temple in the far distance on the mountain.

Could even go crazier and have a threatening Mount Doom style mountain / plumes of smoke and dark sky.

The options are endless .........

PS I just noticed the faces sculpted into the rock. THERE@S THE FOCAL POINT > It needs moving if you keep that shot.
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crit guys! I really need it. I've been working slower and slower on this since I'm running out of juice a little bit. Fixing your crits keeps me going ;)

Yes! This is way out of my comfort-zone. Totally new art-style for me, lots of rules and a lot of things have changed from my usual workflow with contemporary gritty environments.

Yeah I really need to have something more visually interesting in each area of this environment for sure.

I'll put up some more shots asap so you guys can get a better feel for the size of the environment as well. No composition I have no is a set composition since I'm making a whole area. :)
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    sneakpeak_maya_01.jpg

Here is an old shot from Maya showing off only gray textures. (except the one at the top but whatevs)
  • Pixelatedkiwi
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelatedkiwi polycounter
    I really like the fact that this is quite unique, I know its early days but I'm looking forward to see where you take it.
  • Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    wow lov this style! have to ask, is this inspired from naruto?
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban wrote: »
    wow lov this style! have to ask, is this inspired from naruto?

yes it is :)
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe I need to show you guys the size of what I'm actually doing here. :poly142: it's quite big and my main reference are the Naruto-games that have been released. Though little concept art exists from them I own most of them already so I usually just run around in the environments. Building designs comes from the Anim
  • mats effect
    Wooden rail looks really nice in the first shot :)

Faces on the cliff in the distance are a really nice touch too. Got any plans to release this when its done? looks like something I think a lot of people would really like to run around and explore.
  • oxblood
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    ffs wow thats amazing
  • Boyo
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    I'd love to see a view from the street, without DOF, that's too much teasing! :)
    look's really good anyway !
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    I just watched one of the movies last night, and the flavor of this piece is dead on.

The color work, and lighting, and just overall atmosphere are extremely accurate and a real joy to look at.

I'm very excited to see how this develops!
  • Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    hahah thats what i thought. The head sculptures in the back gave it away. Love the style. keep it up!
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    To update what's happening on this one: I've been taking a long break. A lot of stuff is happening at work and I'm really overworked. Right now I'm just enjoying games and making realistic stuff at work.

I do plan to finish this off though. It'll probabably be around Christmas and New Years though with the vacation around those times :)

Though I've also been researching the next big project, but I'm trying to take it easy and save my excitement until this one is finished.
  • 3py0n
    Offline / Send Message
    3py0n polycounter lvl 10
    wowoww!!! loveeee nice lighting and feel.

I don't mind that it's really high saturation. Cause it's from an anime...but hrmm....what happens if it's brought down to more realistic hues?
  • SladeDigital
    Offline / Send Message
    SladeDigital polycounter lvl 4
    i really love the feeling and athmosphere that surrounding this place. Goodjob!
  • DougClayton4231
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    Love the work! Great job!
  • Fishypants
    Offline / Send Message
    Fishypants polycounter lvl 18
    This is dope, I love it! :D
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Looking really cool, So I take it you're just droping Vertex color/multiplying constant values to add color to each builing?
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    I am still working on this. Thought I'd finish it off during this winter vacation, its such a big environment.

These are shots right out of UDK. My main inspiration from this is Konoha Village from Naruto. Everything is basically referenced out of the released games and anim
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    PC_sneakpeek11.jpg

Today I've made some WIP props and more signs, simple and quick stuff. The rest have been just dressing the level. No models or textures are really "finished" yet. It's just to dress the scene and I'll update things as I go.

Oh yeah and the fish will be used in market stands and stuff. haha xD
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    This has a similar feel to what the Airborn guys are doing, way to go dude it looks fantastic :)
  • Azaraen
    Offline / Send Message
    Azaraen polycounter lvl 10
    This is really amazing!! Nice font too! That is unique! lol
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch wrote: »
    This has a similar feel to what the Airborn guys are doing, way to go dude it looks fantastic :)

Yeah they have been an inspiration that's for sure :)
    Evolvyn wrote: »
    This is really amazing!! Nice font too! That is unique! lol

Thanks man, It's a big project and right now I'm just adding loads of shit. I've already got my Art Direction sorted, shaders, texture-style etc. Now I just need to make it feel like people are living there.
  • CordellC
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    Holy shit, can't believe I've missed this thread until now.

Really liking it so far. Can't wait to see some more up-close shots of the town buildings and such.
  • supremedalek925
    Offline / Send Message
    supremedalek925 polycounter lvl 10
    I think any shot that has the Hokage mounument in the background would make a good composition. Very cool stuff.
  • nathdevlin
    Offline / Send Message
    nathdevlin polycounter lvl 12
    How big are you going to go with this Chris ? Great seeing folks tackling different styles. Makes for good learnin' :P
  • stickadtroja
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    cool stuff, really like the grey texture approch!
    in my opinion though, the green is to saturated. heres an overpaint to show;
    CRDLVgz.jpg
  • Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Very nice, love the vibrant colors!

The GI seems a bit overdone though, which takes away a bit of the anime look in my opinion.
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    nathdevlin wrote: »
    How big are you going to go with this Chris ? Great seeing folks tackling different styles. Makes for good learnin' :P

Well it's done soon. I've been working on it for too long I think. :) so soon I'll wrap it up.

cool stuff, really like the grey texture approch!
    in my opinion though, the green is to saturated. heres an overpaint to show;

I see what you mean :) I quite like the saturated colors but yeah I could probably tone down the green, it does really take over.
    Minos wrote: »
    Very nice, love the vibrant colors!

The GI seems a bit overdone though, which takes away a bit of the anime look in my opinion.

To be honest, with this type of brightness going on I'm having a hard time making it so that the GI still keeps the brightness of the bounces that I want but not colorize the environment as much.

I'll see what I can do about it before I finish this off :) Thanks man, nice seeing you on the here. Haven't seen you around that much lately!
  • /anty/
    Offline / Send Message
    /anty/ polycounter lvl 7

To be honest, with this type of brightness going on I'm having a hard time making it so that the GI still keeps the brightness of the bounces that I want but not colorize the environment as much.

You could try to reduce bounce values from the GI and use lights instead (with needed bounce color and value)

P.S. Using lighting channels can make your life simpler.:)
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling this done people!

03.jpg
    07.jpg
    08.jpg
    10.jpg

I'm tired! no more xD I want to do something else now.

but here is a youtube link as well.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfD9R57MzRE"]Konoha Inspired Village - UDK - YouTube[/ame]

http://christofferradsby.com/#/personal-konoha-inspired-village/
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Really cool. Great work!!
  • gsokol
    Looks great man!

Did you have a specific color palette for your textures? Colors look great, and they all match very well.

That mountain in the background reads really well. Almost looks like its 2d!

Since you made such a large area, you have a lot of empty patches of grass and dirt/paths. seems like most of the shots you framed up don't make it too apparent though. Maybe having some small stones or a few more shrubs in some of the open areas could help a little bit?

Also maybe the stone path thats blended with the dirt in your 4th image could come through a little more?

Just minor nitpicks tho...also I'm not familiar with the reference...so theres that.

Good job dude!
  • Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Love it, great work and adore the vibrancy.
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Very awesome work! I love your rendition of the village :) Well done
  • Arctemple
    Offline / Send Message
    Arctemple polycounter lvl 5
    Wow! ... that's all I have. :D
  • SaferDan
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    I love this so much! You should hook up with a character artist and animator and get people in there!
  • MichaelElphick
  • Mimiws
    Offline / Send Message
    Mimiws polycounter lvl 6
    Congrats! really nice work! :D