Home General Discussion

New painting software: Mischief & Black Ink

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
thedaemon polycounter lvl 8
Here is Black Ink: http://www.bleank.com/applications.html?p=115
It's main feature is super customizable brushes.

And here is Mischief: http://www.madewithmischief.com/
It's main feature is an infinite canvas.

I'm really enjoying playing with Mischief, I haven't given Black Ink too much of a try yet.

Replies

• WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mischief looks great but the antivirus at work won't even allow me to download the file. I'll try it at home...
  • Pabs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pabs polycounter lvl 12
    fun little program

pro's
    makes my linework feel good/smooth
    resolution is great

con's
    lack of brush adjustments
    lack of brushes (only 6 brushes with 3 variations)
    blending between 2 colors is hard
    unable to customize hotkeys (big negative for me)

overall i think this is great program for sketching
    interested to see where they take this
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Oooh, Infinite canvas, nice !!
    Theres one little painting app on the Mac that does just that, but I've never been able to find one doing that on the PC. I hope it's infinite both for zoom and pan ...
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Their claim of being like 'nothing you've ever used before!!!11!' is a bit over the top, but I'll give it a go :D

Mypaint had infinite canvas as well, and it was one of my favourite features for sketching, on top of their easy system for saving doodles (it had a hotkey that saved your sketch in a default location with a numbered filename, and hotkeys to step through all of your sketches. When you pressed it again on one you'd already saved, it would append _001, _002 and so on. Lovely!)

edit: Oh I see, it actually *is vector-based, hence no colour-blending. That's useful, but I think I'll stick with Manga Studio even for sketches, which --despite the awful name-- is really, really nice.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Mischief seemed very nice, smooth painting and pretty straightforward to use, the other one seems a bit too technical for a sketch/painting program.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah - Mischief just blew my mind. I love the simplicity of it, and the fact that it removes a whole bunch of technicalities from the digital painting process. No more resolution to pick, files to upres, or laggy brushes. I am sold.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Just tried Mischief, doesn't work correctly with my dual monitor + Monoprice tablet setup. :/
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Mischief is cool, but using it on the 2nd monitor with a Cintiq seemed broken. The line would draw 15-20 pixels away from the pen tip at times, and others be pretty accurate. Was also having issues with it drawing diagonal lines with strokes, seemed like some odd driver issues and or 2nd monitor issues.

seems neat, just wish it worked nicer with my setup.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh that's a bummer - I'll make some more tests tonight (was using it with an Intuos3 on a main monitor, which is basically one of the most safe setup possible ...)

Second monitor issues have been common with early revisions of many painting programs (even Mudbox suffered from that at some point if I remember correctly) so that's not too surprising. I hope they have a solid bug reporting system in place - we could provide them with data on a lot of exotic setups (portrait-oriented screens / Cintiqs / tablets, vertical dual monitor setups, and so on ...)

I have the feeling that pressure tracking is better in it than in Photoshop too (similarly to the great response curve of SAI) but I'd have to double check that.

Very impressed with the program.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    makes me want to buy a Cintiq
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Ah but do any of them do real-time symmetry? That would be wonderful.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you guys really like Mischief, despite the price? I feel it's prizing itself out of the natural ' impulse buy' /toy category it should be in. You can get pretty much all of its features in vector packages (I used to sketch in Inkscape quite a lot, it also has 'infinite canvas' and smooth brushes). At over a hundred dollars, I can't really take it too seriously.

Pior, you're so impressed it makes me think you still haven't checked out Manga Studio/Clip Paint Lab, you noob.

i hate to sound like I'm a representative of Manga Studio, but that will get a symmetry ruler at some point. God knows when though, Smith/Micro aren't exactly the communicative kind.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha I dunno ... I guess it's just that I am very impressed by how there is no need to create a new file, fight some kind of odd interface, switch screen modes, and so on ... Even crtl-spacebar works for smooth zoom ! That's pretty awesome ... (and yeah, okay, zoom works the same in MS5 too, true true :D)

[edit] Wait - where are the vector tools in MS5 ?
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Mischief looks fabolous, Will have to give it a go tonight!
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    MightyPea wrote: »
    i hate to sound like I'm a representative of Manga Studio, but that will get a symmetry ruler at some point.

For the upcoming EX v.5 , right? Sym rulers are present in MS EX v.4.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Mischief is OK. But the price tag. Non-non even for toying.

added: not be hater, but looks at this project, per example Comicado; this solo guy are creating a very decent and solid tool for Comic work (panels setup, basic inking and coloring tools, symmetry and perspective rulers) for only 19.90 €.

The price tag is great. What you on about? If it gets as solid as photoshop for painting (i haven't tried it yet so I don't know how it compares) it's like 1/8th of the price here in Sweden.

You can still download the trial to play around with.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    I'm really interested in the brush engine in black ink, messing around with it now :).

No saving is a massive dick move in the trial
    as well as the massive buy it button.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren wrote: »
    The price tag is great. What you on about?

$129 ???

Wuuuttttt.

Only painters I can see who'll truly benefit from infinite canvas that won't choke your rig are dino mural digital artists.

If it's easy to shell out cash at that price maybe one can easily afford a kick ass 3d painter like Mari for just a bit more.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    USD 129 = 2x AAA games on Steam which I have no time to play anyway. Could just as well buy something useful for it ;)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pior: that's the beauty of it - add a raster layer and you're drawing pixels, add a vector layer and you're drawing vectors. No matter which brush you use, although obviously the blendy/mixing brushes no longer do that (but they still have all the texture!).
    The vector tools are also pretty complete for linework, you'd be surprised.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=deb3wLpjQTg[/ame]

To show some of Inkscape's power with path manipulation: http://inkscape.org/screenshots/gallery/inkscape-0.46-tweak-path.png
    If you want to try it, it's free and opensource. The tool you want is the Calligraphy tool. It has stuff like speed influencing stroke thickness, and since it's vector software, you have an infinite canvas.
    It even has some functions that you might not expect at all, like a really nice one where you hold ctrl near another line, and your stroke will now stay at that distance from the other one.

if you want to try inkscape and your wacom doesn't work, run it as admin and enable the tablet in the input settings. Maybe I had to because my verion's portable, I know that used to work out of the box.

http://inkscape.org/download/?lang=en
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    For the upcoming EX v.5 , right? Sym rulers are present in MS EX v.4.

Sorry, missed your comment before:
    Yeah, it should be coming in EX. MS4 has them, but I can't even consider going back to 4 with the new Sai-like painting engine in 5!
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But TVPaint is so bad (for Illustration work) that I don´t advocate for it. Hope MyPaint group could implement in some future release trough G'mic (open-source plugins for Gimp) or such.

TVPaint's another overpriced and bloated p.o.s.(oftware). If you're into 2D animation with that trad look and penniless, Plastic Animation Paper pro edition has been free for years. But...if you don't know it yet indie Flash animators on youtube are killing it in terms of fame and fortune (I'm not referring to animators of crappy flash based tv shows).

Toonboom could have been in nice in my book too, but also too pricey.
  • thedaemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thedaemon polycounter lvl 8
    Dado: According to Mischief's facebook page you can install the newest 15 day trial if you have the old version and get 15 more days to use it.

What's this Clip Studio? I searched for it and it brought up a lot of pages in Japanese. Not really a language I can read. Also, I can't try Manga Studio out, there is no trial version on their website right now. :(

I don't see Inkscape as a competitor, it's not really a painting application is it? I have always stayed away from vector illustration applications because of how much they take you away from actually drawing and do things like move lines around with bezier handles. I like the simple interface and no nonsense ui.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thedaemon wrote: »
    I have always stayed away from vector illustration applications because of how much they take you away from actually drawing and do things like move lines around with bezier handles. I like the simple interface and no nonsense ui.

I think if you use say Illustrator as a finishing tool rather than a drawing tool it's easier and more fun to use.

You like Archer? It's animated in After Effects but the characters, in final form, are done in AI. Backgrounds can be 3d max paintovers.

I recommend Von Glitchka's Lynda.com AI tutorial if you're a member. He uses an older version, but he's intructions are simple yet clear unlike Lynda's other AI "gurus".

Image from Archer, maybe season 1.

Archer-and-Lana1.png
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    But...if you don't know it yet indie Flash animators on youtube are killing it in terms of fame and fortune (I'm not referring to animators of crappy flash based tv shows).

I don't know it yet...examples?
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyanB wrote: »
    I don't know it yet...examples?

Start with Egoraptor and work your way backwards (buddies of his in his channel links). Videos they've made you'd probably seen before but if you analyze it in the context of what's going in mainstream entertainment industry (studio layoffs, costly student loans, outsourcing, etc.) the fact that they built a loyal following before twitter and how much youtube pays per million views, their achievements and relative ease of claiming them can be mind blowing to think about. They're pretty open about their paths to success if you watch their joint con panel videos. Nothing unconventional, same old hard work and not do it for the money. All of them are self-taught Flash animators.

You know the Image guys in the 90s when they're just starting out, these guys kinda reminds of them. Their youtube subscribers are massive than Penny Arcade's for example. PA as an empire still does better business but without the executives and corporate support, indie Flash guys I think are either doing better or will soon outpace them revenue wise.

But before anyone get's hot and horny for internet money, Youtube's not going to make you rich fast without a large library of videos. You'll only start to be able to pay your bills when you have at least a million views and when advertisers come to you. Also these guys not only animated but also did the voice acting, music and editing for their videos.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool, thanks MagicSugar.

The most views I've had on a single video is about 12,000 and it paid pennies, so a million views is a huge accomplishment.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ryan

You're welcome. Check out this cartoonbrew entry from last year: http://www.cartoonbrew.com/ideas-commentary/how-much-money-animated-shorts-earn-on-youtube-58388.html

Yeah, working on my own IPs too but not all for youtube.
  • Memory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    I've been following this thread and checking all of these out, but I'm curious to know if anyone has been using the latest version of Sketchbook Pro? It feels like their brushes have come a long way, they've had realtime symmetry for a while now, and they even have lazy stroke now. I'm really liking the copic color palette and synthetic brushes too. Hopefully this isn't a hi-jack, but any thoughts on Sketchbook?
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory: I've tried it, it seems really nice. It was one of the programs I was deciding between for concept art, and Manga Studio's feature set made it win out over SBP. I think SBP really shines on something like a tablet though, so If I ever get a wacom-enabled portable computer/tablet I'll certainly give it another go.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MightyPea wrote: »
    was one of the programs I was deciding between for concept art, and Manga Studio's feature set made it win out over SBP.

Sketchbook Designer > Manga Studio for concept art, my opinion. Especially if you have to do lots of hard surface interations. It's SBP + vector tools.

I just don't understand why Autodesk priced it too high.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Magic: But Manga Studio is SBP + vectors, so I'm not entirely sold yet :D

I'll check it out though.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Autodesk SketchBook Designer software is no longer available for retail purchase effective November 1, 2012. It will continue to be included in the following Autodesk Design and Creation Suites:"

Nooope.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Besides the dumb name, seems like a pretty neat app. Haven't seen vector based marker blending before.

But imo it's still alittle early in development, how do they expect you to paint with a static mouse pointer?
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/233680/

62% off on Black Ink right now. The brush tools and parameters do look pretty nifty (and a bit gimmicky). Has anyone tried it? Is it worth getting.
  • tgnsd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illustrator is often overlooked, but extremely powerful and something most of us already own for work. It's great to see other software companies attempting to create a better product, but in the end, you can't beat the versatility and power of adobe's software.

http://www.vectology.com/tutorials/

Check out these tutorials to get a better perspective on how to use illustrator as an awesome 'infinite canvas' concept painting tool.