Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Prison Cell (Rookie Environment Artist)

Hello fellow artist. This is my first First environment art project. It's not that great since it's my very first. Most of the textures are from cgtextures.com but I edit them out a little bit with PS. Program used were Maya, Photoshop, and crazybump. Rendered with Mental ray

A bit about me, I plan to be a environment artist. Next fall I plan to go to school for graphic design, minor in art history. I originally wanted to go to a game school and I figured going to a traditional school so I can have more doors open instead of just video games .

I also originally wanted to become a level designer. Earlier this year, I take a 3D modeling class where I learned some basics of the program, Lightwave. After a few months with it, I really started to enjoy modeling so I decided that doing environment art and creating scenes, props, etc is more fun for me. After school was out in May, I decided to learn self learn Maya.

As I said, this is my very first scene. I still need to learn lighting in maya, mudbox/zbrush etc. I really would love some feedback. If anything sucks or could be improved(which I'm sure that's alot), please don't hold back and just tell me. I plan to become a GOOD environment artist.

Thanks

6_zps8dcabd8e.jpg

4_zpsafb3eeb8.jpg

5_zps2e418fe7.jpg

3_zpsaa739afb.jpg

1_zpsd40fca2e.jpg

2_zps861b792a.jpg

Walls_showoff_zps02bb5dc9.jpg

Floor_showoff_zps688ef97a.jpg

Ceiling_showoff_zps59ce5734.jpg

Replies

• monkeymintaka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeymintaka polycounter lvl 7
    I'm a noob too, so take what I say with a pinch of salt :) The textures seem a bit large, for example the bricks look too big compared to the bed (maybe should be a 3rd smaller?)
    And the floor detail looks too large, which could be helped by increasing the amount they repeat on the UV coordinates.

The hole in the wall and posters have VERY sharp edges compared to the bricks, and would fit into the scene better with some general wear and tear.

I think you got a good start with your textures, but if you take down the overall intensity of the normal maps it would look more realistic. Also, is that a reflective material on the bed, it is a very clean prison :)

Keep going! I only started a year ago and still have a million more hours of learning ahead :)
  • VESIUS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That vagina monster is pretty interesting and strange, however this scene just doesn't look real. The normal maps are too sharp, the textures are a little too low res (or maybe stretched?), plus no AO?
  • Kanoba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanoba polycounter lvl 5
    Its a good start, but as Vesius a AO pass (Ambient Occlusion) really makes your scene look alot better Here try this tutorial :)

http://www.samwirch.com/blog/simple-ambient-occlusion-render-maya-2012