Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New with 3D-modeling, topology question.

Hello, my name is Jacob and i´m just start learning Maya and 3D modeling.

I want to know how do i work with topology on a house if we say it was made for a game. My house is really messy, so is there a easier way or a cleaner way to work on houses?

Critics or links to tutorials are more then appreciated!

Have a nice day!

Reference
i6gx2q.jpg

(Some structures are just placeholder right now). Not really done yet but would be nice to do right from the start :)
53p6xt.jpg

Replies

• Luka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luka polycounter lvl 5
    generally speaking, you have to remove any vertex that doesnt define a shape, eg. all of those on the edges of the front face. i dont have time to go into detail, but if you follow this advice, you can get this optimised to 95% :)
  • BigK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BigK polycounter lvl 4
    Something to keep in mind is that this doesnt need to all be one object. The walls can have a tileable texture on them, then simply cut out one rectangle where the windows will be (if the windows will be inset). Then you can make one window asset and copy it out and place it where you want to (two windows if you have one tall and one short).

Main point, think of the house as a collection of many objects instead of one single entity.
  • jesterhead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for so fast responses, really appreciate it.

To get this right, do you mean like this?
    b6vixc.jpg
  • BigK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BigK polycounter lvl 4
    I am no expert, Ive only been in the industry a very short time but thats basically how I would go forward with it. I dont know what you plan to do with it but you have a great deal of geometry in the windows that is just not needed. Try to get the polycount of the windows at least half of what it is now (should easily be able to live with 1/4 of what you have now).
  • jesterhead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BigK wrote: »
    I am no expert, Ive only been in the industry a very short time but thats basically how I would go forward with it. I dont know what you plan to do with it but you have a great deal of geometry in the windows that is just not needed. Try to get the polycount of the windows at least half of what it is now (should easily be able to live with 1/4 of what you have now).

Okej i will try to reduce the polycount, i have a hard time to see what i can take away from the windows but here is i picture how it looks like now. I know i should avoid them but should i do more triangles?

fy313a.jpg
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The bricks at the top of the window could be done with a texture instaed of being cut out like that. Also, everything shouldn't be once piece. The window panes could be one flat plane put int there. The window trim could also be detached as its own geometry piece.

I think the reason you're ending up with so much geometry is because you have everything as one piece, which not only takes more time to model, but also makes it harder to make changes later on. Every major piece could be its own separate piece of geo, from the window frame, the window trim, the brick on the top, and the glass itself.
  • jesterhead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RexM wrote: »
    The bricks at the top of the window could be done with a texture instaed of being cut out like that. Also, everything shouldn't be once piece. The window panes could be one flat plane put int there. The window trim could also be detached as its own geometry piece.

I think the reason you're ending up with so much geometry is because you have everything as one piece, which not only takes more time to model, but also makes it harder to make changes later on. Every major piece could be its own separate piece of geo, from the window frame, the window trim, the brick on the top, and the glass itself.

Big Thanks! I see that clearly now! Always thought that everything needed to be in one piece. So things will be much easier now!
  • BigK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BigK polycounter lvl 4
    jesterhead wrote: »
    Thanks, i see that clearly now! Always thought that everything needed to be in one piece. So things will be much easier now!

That was something that took me a while to understand at first too. After that was made clear to me it opened up a new world, things go so much faster and you are not as limited.

But keep in mind that this is not an organic model, something like a character or a tree would need to be done much differently. Obviously.
  • jesterhead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BigK wrote: »
    That was something that took me a while to understand at first too. After that was made clear to me it opened up a new world, things go so much faster and you are not as limited.

But keep in mind that this is not an organic model, something like a character or a tree would need to be done much differently. Obviously.

Yes been so focus on doing characters and having all polys put together so nice know thats not really needed on a house :)

Really thankful for the help i was given!
    Just to check, i´m i doing it right now?

503 poly before, 165 poly now. I´m not sure about the window glass if that should be separate or if i can have it in the window frame?
    2sb1u2h.jpg
  • Autarkis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autarkis polycounter lvl 8
  • jesterhead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autarkis wrote: »
    "pic"

Thank you the polycount is on 129 now, i think i understood it right?

I tried to find some wireframes from buildings in games like Assassin Creed, without luck!
    But my last problem is that the window frame is inside the house, but if i put it in it will show off wrong. Is there a solution there?

24pdhnb.jpghttp:
  • Autarkis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    extrude those edges out twice to make them go back into the wall surface?
  • jesterhead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autarkis wrote: »
    extrude those edges out twice to make them go back into the wall surface?

Hmm i meant that the frame should be inside the wall, like on this pic. But can i do it like this and just put the window and bricks-arc over it?2roi9lu.jpg
  • Autarkis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    definitely :) Just do it like that.
  • jesterhead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, i have done the modeling and the UV-mapping for the house. Now i only have the outdoor furniture and some other smaller things. Big thanks for the help, learn alot on this one!

Will post when the texture are done! :)

2vbmu6q.jpg