Home General Discussion

Mighty no. 9

Fuiosg
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
The creator of megaman, Keiji Inafune, launched this project on kickstarter just about a day ago and they're already about to hit their mark.

He can explain it better than I, check out the pitch: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9

Looks fantastic.

Replies

• Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I watched this the other day, backed up. Westerners don't pay enough attention to japanese games.

And It's weird, there should be to many people excited here. I suppose they don't like the project.

they reached their goal :D
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Well, so far it's one of the most successful projects on kickstarter, and if you look at the backers you'll find it being dominated by westerners :)
  • The Mad Artist
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    I backed it immediately upon seeing it. I just hope Capcom doesn't go after it with their legal department. Seems like a very real possibility.
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I doubt Capcom would have any legal ground to stand on.
  • Xelioth
    I backed it immediately upon seeing it. I just hope Capcom doesn't go after it with their legal department. Seems like a very real possibility.
    They didn't come up with the style of megaman, he did. And you can't really claim rights to an artist's style. He's doing what he can to differentiate the two, and he's doing a fair job of it, considering.

Regardless, though, I'm looking forward to this game like crazy! I can't wait to see what he comes up with now that he's revisiting the formula, both hands on the reins!
  • The Mad Artist
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    Xelioth wrote: »
    They didn't come up with the style of megaman, he did. And you can't really claim rights to an artist's style.

Yes, but they do own Mega Man. They are a lot of similarities when you read about the game that come pretty close. Look what happened when Shouzou Kaga, the creator of Fire Emblem series, created his own game, Tear Ring Saga. From the wiki:

"The game was designed by Shouzou Kaga, a former game designer for Intelligent Systems and creator of the Fire Emblem series. Resulting from this the game bears many similarities to the Fire Emblem series. This caused Intelligent Systems and Fire Emblem series publisher Nintendo to file a lawsuit against Enterbrain and Tirnanog in July, 2001, claiming that the company was guilty of copyright infringement. The first trial ended in November, 2002, where the Tokyo District Court turned down Nintendo's claims. Nintendo filed a second lawsuit on appeal, and the second trial began three months after the first, this time under the Tokyo High Court. The second trial ended in November, 2004, and Enterbrain was ordered to pay a fine of 76 million yen to Nintendo. However, the game was not ruled as a breach of copyright, and copies remained in stores. Nintendo and Intelligent Systems made another appeal to the Japanese Supreme Court, where the second ruling was upheld. The final court proceedings ended in April, 2005. Tear Ring Saga had originally been announced in 2000 as Emblem Saga, but the game system and layout were changed around considerably by the time of the game's actual release after Nintendo threatened to take legal action."

Hey, I'm not saying Capcom would be be able to stop it, nor do I think they should, but I do think it's something that Inafune would need to consider.
  • Xelioth
    Hey, I'm not saying Capcom would be be able to stop it, nor do I think they should, but I do think it's something that Inafune would need to consider.
    Well he discusses his knowledge of the possibility on the kickstarter page, so he's definitely aware of the similarities.

I still don't think the game infringes on anything, but lord knows the courts are far less reasonable than I am most of the time :poly131:
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    While I reaaaaaally want to see what will come out of it, I cannot help but feel worried when I see the mockup screenshots they are using for the campaign. I think they are aiming way too high visually, at the risk of ending up with a game looking like a cheap, flash based animation ... I'd rather see them focus more on game design and less on fancy pictures. They could go for the 8bit style of the original Megaman games, or maybe, the slightly more polished look of the Zero series ...

Wait and see I guess !
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    It does look like they're already set for doing the entire thing in 3d going by the brief moments of animation they showed.

Mighty no 9 does seem to have the spirit of the original series, but it does seem to take quite a bunch from zero, which was basically an improved megaman-x.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Oh that's right ! I skipped past that at first. Interesting - I hope it will feel snappier than the PSP MegamanX port tho - as in, pop-through animation as opposed to rubber-band interpolation !
  • cochtl
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    I think the similarities were done purposely to let people know who this guy is and what he has made in the past. If some legal issue comes up they will probably not contest it and do something visually different; point is that they got their funding from it.
  • osman
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    People are going to yell at me for saying this, but 1.000.000 for a side scroller? I guess that's the price of all-star dev team.
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Or, you know, ten people for a year.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    osman wrote: »
    People are going to yell at me for saying this, but 1.000.000 for a side scroller? I guess that's the price of all-star dev team.

How long is a string?
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Man..I REALLY hope they hit the goal so we can get this baby on consoles.
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    At first I thought he was ripping off his own idea, but now I can see that creatively this is probably even better than making a new megaman game.

Hate to say it but some of those cancelled megaman projects looked like they deserved to be cancelled, that series has too many cobwebs from the 90s hanging around it.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18

Yup, it's expensive to make games. Doublefine actually went over budget on their point & click adventure game, they raised over $3 million for their kickstarter. The 2d fighting game Skullgirls had a budget of $1.2 million and they needed at least $150,000 to add add another character to the game. Check out their Indiegogo page to see the cost breakdown of adding a new character.

here's another: Jonathan Blow talking about The Witness - “It’s all the money I made off Braid. $2.5 million. Maybe $3 million, I don’t know. It depends on how long it takes.”
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter

?

You serious?

It costs $150,000 to add a single character to Skullgirls:

http://kotaku.com/5986592/it-will-blow-your-mind-to-see-how-much-it-costs-to-add-one-new-character-to-a-fighting-game

:/

None of that takes into account things like:

- Rental of office space
    - Software licences
    - Computers/Hardware
    - HR/Administration/Accounting/Finance
    - Marketing/Advertising/PR/Community Support

$1 million really isn't much to make a game.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Well most studios are pretty tight lipped about their development costs, indies are usually the only people to honestly open up about it.
  • leilei
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    It costs $150,000 to add a single character to Skullgirls:

Considering how congested and inefficient their hitboxes are, i don't take it as a definitive example. Also, that's a fighting game - most of the time would go into balancing and debugging for competitive play.
  • BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12

Well if you have a team of 10 people and you paying them 50,000 a year, that is half the money gone right there. That doesn't even factor in stuff like rent, equipment, ect. It adds up quick.
  • Neox
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter

you ever worked on a modern sophisticated side scroller?
    1 Million is nothing in terms of a budget

you will need a studio infrastructure, just the usual rent can add up to tens of thousands a year, power, water, whatever supplies, software licenses, hardware, salaries, taxes - it makes *poof* and all the money is gone.
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Update, game has reached like $4 million now and met all its stretch goals.

They just released some placeholder test footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UXDiQrgI6M

Looks awesome for just one week.

edit: how the hell do you embed video?
  • lukepham101
    Offline / Send Message
    lukepham101 polycounter lvl 7
    Haha placeholder wtf?? Clearly their definition and my definition of placeholder differs, my placeholders would be like base blockouts of characters and colours and maybe a quickly thrown in particle effect. It's interesting that they're testing it in Unreal too. I thought they wouldn't really roll with it just with the way the licensing agreement with Epic goes in that when you start earning above a certain threshold you pay royalties back. And also I think certainly Mighty No 9 will earn above that threshold. :P
  • lukepham101
    Offline / Send Message
    lukepham101 polycounter lvl 7
    Oh and Fuiosg you just gotta paste the link, I think the address of it is important to how it embeds in the thread too.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UXDiQrgI6M"]Mighty No. 9: Unreal Engine Initial Evaluation Test (PLACEHOLDER ASSETS) - YouTube[/ame]