Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First 3D Model (ever) - Feedback please

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
NowvaB polycounter lvl 3
Just started modeling after a few bigginer tutorials on youtube, took me 4 days to finish this. :(

i'd appreciate some feedback to knock me in the right direction.
dont be afraid to hurt my feelings, if you hate it tell me.

Pictures:
I13Qt8c.png

Dp1jS2R.png

BMhLthi.png

If you want more info, or pictures tell me.

pls and thx.

Replies

• Overmind5000
    Offline / Send Message
    Overmind5000 polycounter lvl 11
    Your first 3d model? Ever?

That's not bad for a beginner. others may disagree, but I say it's a step in the right direction. Keep it up, and keep learning. In case you didn't know, here's a really good Blender tutorial resource for you:
    http://cgcookie.com/blender/
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    Overmind5000 is right, it's not bad at all for your first model. Without a concept it's kind of hard to tell you where you need to go design-wise but from a technical standpoint there are a few things you can do.
    The first thing that stood out to me was the joints on your character's limbs, the wiki has an absolutely fantastic resource on how to make low-poly joints that will deform well.
    The second thing is the face, I can't really tell if the nose is sitting on top of the face or extruded out from it, but either way it looks like you have some n-gons (five sided polygons or higher). While n-gons aren't necessarily bad it's good to get into the habit of keeping things quads or tris since they are much easier to work with.

Other than that, keep working on it!
  • Subtle 1rony
    Offline / Send Message
    Subtle 1rony polycounter lvl 10
    1 down, 9999 to go. ;)
  • NowvaB
    Offline / Send Message
    NowvaB polycounter lvl 3
    Overmind- thanks for the link just looked at a couple of the basic (free) tutorials, the whole topology retopolgy thing seemed really time consuming.

Alemja- read the wiki, i had no idea! *bookmarks page. The nose is extruded.and is it 'acceptable' to have n-gons as long as they are perfectly flat? or are they just something thats frowned apon always.

Subtle 1rony- does your username always relate to your comments. :'(
  • Chase
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    ^ LOL . Anyways great start for your first model. Looks like you understand the whole quad methodology (4 sided planes). Next will be topology. That's something I still struggle with and I've been doing this for a year and a half. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a pm. I'd be happy to pass on what I've learned to maybe save you some time and headache
  • NowvaB
    Offline / Send Message
    NowvaB polycounter lvl 3
    Chase wrote: »
    ^ LOL . Anyways great start for your first model. Looks like you understand the whole quad methodology (4 sided planes). Next will be topology. That's something I still struggle with and I've been doing this for a year and a half. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a pm. I'd be happy to pass on what I've learned to maybe save you some time and headache

will do, chase!
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I 'd say learn the head last. It's very hard to make a correct and pleasing-to-the-eyes face. Do the torso first, then shoulders and arms.
  • Desperad0
    You can put a couple more edge loops around where joints are, like elbow, knee, etc. That'll let you put them into more natural shapes, and if you ever going to pose a character, the joints will bend better too.
  • NowvaB
    Offline / Send Message
    NowvaB polycounter lvl 3