Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Robit.

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
CURRENT UPDATE:

So... Sorted out all my bakes and adjusted a few things here and there.

The character itself is done for the time being, I'll build it a stand or mini scene when I get a chance but I'm eager to move on to something new before I start to hate this.

So, here are some shots, if I can figure out how to make a gif turntable at some point I will, first time I wish I had the extended version of photoshop; not being able to open .mp4's is suddenly annoying...

tkez.jpg

Some arty closeups, cause I'm a douchebag like that...

ukh6.jpg

And my construction shots:

qxlg.jpg

14,464 tri's, not including the butterflies I should add.

ugkl.jpg

And 2048's for everything, nothing crazy.

As I said, wanna move onto something new as this was meant to be a super quick project; however any feedback is welcome and if you do spot anything please do point it out as I may well go back and change some things at a later date.

Cheers!

-

Hey all, taking a break from working on an older wip that's going pretty slowly by making some fun stylized robot dude; call him Robit, in the mean time.

My goal is to knock this one out as quickly as possible, been trying some new techniques for speeding up my Sub-D modelling which have helped greatly.

tolz.jpg

He's somewhat adapted from a sketch I did a while back of a few robots, attached if you're curious.

Basically just going to post my progress over the next couple weeks, which may not go as well as I hope, what with the Edinburgh fringe and all :P but any feedback, questions, comments... death threats, all are welcome, wish me luck, cheers!

Replies

• Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Oh this is awesome. The edge wear looks really nice. But for a robot with all that edge wear I would expect to see more paint discoloring/dirt/grime on the rest of him. Looks like he's been around awhile so it seems like he should be dirtier :)
  • silkroadgame
    Lovely style,and textures you used is great!
    But I think the background isn't very proper for him,maybe it's just temporary?
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto thanks man! Still very early days on the texture; this is about 2 hours into it, so I'm still really just establishing my materials.

silkroadgame Thanks! Again, this is a WIP, it's just one of marmosets default lighting scenes. Will do a proper mini scene for him at some point later on once he himself is actually finished :)
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more materials defined, it was suggested I go down the soviet route so I'm gonna be researching some cold war era Russian tanks and such for ideas.

fpb4.jpg
  • Shanthosa
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanthosa polycounter lvl 11
    I am loving this. Can not wait to see more.

What is the writing and square thing on his shoulder going to be? Right now it kind of pops out as being out of place compared to the rest of him. It breaks up the otherwise detail-free surface of his torso cover, so we focus in on it and scrutinize it a lot. Define its function and how it came to be there and it will all fall into place.
  • looprix
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    nice!, the colors are working well
  • silkroadgame
    Your Robit gives me a feeling of this robot,which is from the animation film City of Sky!

robot_zpsa055b5c0.png
  • Suba
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    Your Robit gives me a feeling of this robot,which is from the animation film City of Sky!

robot_zpsa055b5c0.png
    i was gonna say that. :o

I like this style. The colors are simple but work great imo. That's cool.
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanthosa thanks! It was kind of placeholder for some potential spot for branding and what now, I think I'll go with a warning sign or something, not entirely sure just yet.

looprix thanks, still sorting out what colour range I want, yet to settle on one thing but the olive green seems to be working well.

silkroadgame haha, cheers. Been a while since I've watched that movie.

Suba Thanks!

Small update, sorted out all my masks now, next up is some proper texture work, decided to throw a quick rig together to get him in a test pose. I need to sort out a bunch smaller issues with my bakes as well; but one problem at a time :P

EDIT: worked on this a little bit more today, thought I'd update the shots.
    u3mj.jpg

And why not, a shot of the worst rig you'll see ever...

jb3p.jpg

All feedback welcome, cheers.
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    Bit further on with the textures, still a lot to do but it's getting there, did a quick cavity grunge up. Next will be to paint in some streaks as though water has caused some sort of rust damage around his joints, that'll take a bit longer.

It's surprisingly nice working on your own stuff at 2 am :)

5k9i.jpg
  • afisher
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    Looking good, but maybe try breaking up the uniform edge scratches some more and add some extra scratches to the flatter surface areas as well.
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher cheers man! Something else to add to the to do list.
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    Took your advice and added some wear to the flatter area, keeping it subtle and for the most part front facing.
    Next job is to get all the issues with the bakes sorted, keep seeing just the problems and it's bugging me :P

Let me know what you think, cheers.

1dpq.jpg
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    So... Sorted out all my bakes and adjusted a few things here and there.

The character itself is done for the time being, I'll build it a stand or mini scene when I get a chance but I'm eager to move on to something new before I start to hate this.

So, here are some shots, if I can figure out how to make a gif turntable at some point I will, first time I wish I had the extended version of photoshop; not being able to open .mp4's is suddenly annoying...

tkez.jpg

Some arty closeups, cause I'm a douchebag like that...

ukh6.jpg

And my construction shots:

qxlg.jpg

14,464 tri's, not including the butterflies I should add.

ugkl.jpg

And 2048's for everything, nothing crazy.

As I said, wanna move onto something new as this was meant to be a super quick project; however any feedback is welcome and if you do spot anything please do point it out as I may well go back and change some things at a later date.

Cheers!
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to give this verold thing a go, pretty cool I think.

[VEROLD]5225182db3b1580200000a69[/VEROLD]