Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Critiques | 3D Hard Surface Artist | Stephen Borgens

Hi all,

I would appreciate critiques both on the website layout as well as the artwork in it. I'm trying to hammer out the best way to present my artwork.

TheGingerNinja.com

I would love honest critiques of my work, I am looking to better my skills and reflect that in my work.

Thank you all for the comments,
Stephen Borgens

Replies

• Memory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    A couple things I would recommend adjusting: I can't save any of your images from your site...you have some kinda of janky menu overlay whatever that's blocking that. Then the other thing would be content...there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of content yet. I'm also not a fan of lightbox, it makes a person wait to see your art.

Maybe try a more simple template. These comments are just my opinion.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    I agree with Memory, your site is crap. Simple is better. Give me a list of images so i can look quickly. Don't use the ninja face, it isn't done well and already makes me feel like your drawing talent is lacking. Remember your sending this to an HR person. They aren't going understand your trying to be funny or whatever it is your trying to do. I would also remove the "3D Hard Surface Artist" tag from your site because what you have isn't really considered hard surface. THIS is hard surface
    http://www.lonewolf3d.com/

Next your work.
    Midevil scene:
    All your textures are blurry, ALL OF THEM. The geometry is fine, but everything is SUPER SIMPLE, so its hard to judge what you are capable of. Try using tiling textures to get better pixel density or increase the res of your textures.

Are you using spec maps?
    why are half the tree's black?
    Your lighting is flat, I can barley see nay shadows, try turing down your global env light and maybe increasing your sun intensity.

Im not sure what you were doing with the lego building, You have some serious smoothing group issues. Did you try to make a high poly and bake it down?
    My suggestion is to just delete everything on that last page.
  • The Ginger Ninja
    Okay, Thank you for the critiques. I have another template I can get a hold of.

Jet_Pilot: I have been having a hard time pinpointing my exact focus. I will start tailoring my art to hard surface more like lonewolf3d.com as that seems to be more to my liking. Those images you are speaking of were done in Unity and I don't have a good grasp on that engine. I will be rendering solely in UDK from here forward as I like the look that gives a lot better and I have more control over the materials.

Again, I greatly appreciate the feedback and I will be keeping it in consideration when redoing the website.

~Stephen