Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Critique & Advice

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Luke003 polycounter lvl 8
Hi folks, I recently made some updates to my online portfolio after my current job got a little...interesting. My folio has been on my signature for a while, but I figured I would finally make a thread and get some proper feedback on it. I know that the content is the most important part, but I also want to see if the site looks like it's headed in a good direction. Check it out at Luke3D.com and let me know what you think. Thanks in advance. :)

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    site layout is fine. As always, Contact and Resume should be one page.

The big issue is content. It's just not there. The two finished pieces are simple, beginner pieces, and the other two are wips. Another year or so of pumping out content, and you count be somewhere. It's just too soon now.
  • Luke003
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden wrote: »
    site layout is fine. As always, Contact and Resume should be one page.

The big issue is content. It's just not there. The two finished pieces are simple, beginner pieces, and the other two are wips. Another year or so of pumping out content, and you count be somewhere. It's just too soon now.

Thanks for the feedback :). I know what you mean about the content, and I'm not going to make excuses. I need to work harder.
  • Sir Apple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir Apple polycounter lvl 8
    I suppose the layout is headed in the right direction, but it could be simplified even further.

I may stand alone on this, but its always bothered me when portfolios have a section for the main 3D artwork, and then have another tab for "Other art". I say only put up the art you intend to peruse a career path with. It gets really clustered and amateur looking when you have a dump of random sketches, graphic design and doodles. IF you did a concept for a character or something, then why not just include that with the 3D images of that character and such? This way the employer can just view it all at once, rather then have to browse all over the site.

Having your 3D artwork on the main page be the first thing you see is great. But I would say the "other art" is not needed, also it becomes a cluster-mess as within that tab you then have 4 different categories.

As said above, Resume and contact should be on one page. In my opinion, you have a bit to many links on your contact page as well. Email and LinkedIn are probably the most important ones. I am not sure you need things like sound-cloud and YouTube (unless you have some kickass YouTube tutorials) - seems a bit excessive.

About your work, cholden basically hit the nail on the head. Do more, work hard and move into a bit more advanced peices. Also don't make 50% of your content WIP :poly124:

Good luck :thumbup:
  • Luke003
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir Apple wrote: »
    I may stand alone on this, but its always bothered me when portfolios have a section for the main 3D artwork, and then have another tab for "Other art". I say only put up the art you intend to peruse a career path with. It gets really clustered and amateur looking when you have a dump of random sketches, graphic design and doodles. IF you did a concept for a character or something, then why not just include that with the 3D images of that character and such? This way the employer can just view it all at once, rather then have to browse all over the site.

Having your 3D artwork on the main page be the first thing you see is great. But I would say the "other art" is not needed, also it becomes a cluster-mess as within that tab you then have 4 different categories.

Hey thanks. I added that section because a few jobs and internships I applied for specifically called for a demonstration of capabilities in other categories of art. And I figured my last few jobs were graphic design related so, it would keep me from having to make a separate site. It's become apparent that landing my "dream position" is a ways away from happening, but I still have bills to pay. Right now, the graphic art and photography jobs keep food on my table and fuel in my tank.

I agree with you though, and I tried to think of the best way to make it uncluttered. And as far as content goes, I hear you also. I just put up what I have, which isn't much of anything I guess.
    amile duan wrote: »
    Your site looks clean.

Thank you. :)
  • Luke003
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I removed the extra contact page and info. Hopefully it looks a little bit better now.