Home General Discussion

Is this bad habit for me?

I started to learn animation at night. Because at day, i have so many distractions around me that, i can't get to focus on my studies.

At nigh, i feel, like i am the only one on the world, it is very quiet. And i can work/study without someone interrupted me.

But, after the night, i work till 6am, i walk my dog after, and sleep, till 4-5pm. And i feel so burn out.

Replies

• skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    do you have a job ?
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Yes, its a terrible habit. You'd be much better off trying to get rid of those distractions and work solid from morning until evening, rather than staying up until 6. From personal experience its better to wake up early and get started as your mind will be super focused, compared to working late into the night and producing gash work.

You're more likely to burn out staying up until that time, not to mention have really negative effects on your mental health.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    torch is right though, your going to screw up your sleep pattern and REM sleep. Human body requires sleep and at specific times
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    I use to do this for a half a year straight and in the end your body never really adjusts, losing out on time over sleeping. If you learn to tone out those distractions it'll help you out in the future anyway. It's almost like running from your problems.

Having a schedule also helps in this. Be consistent!
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    It's not a great habit to get into, I've personally always been absolutely useless in the morning, I find I'm much more focused after around 11am. If I can I tend to get my personal work done early before I get on with whatever I have planned for that day; however when you have a job that luxury can often only be saved for the weekends. So I too find myself working on my own art late at night simply because that's the only time I can, I'm often too burnt out to go straight from work to my own work and need a break of a couple hours.

So what I'm saying is, it's a bad habit to have as it will catch up with you, but I've been doing it for nearly two years solid now (admittedly with different hours but less sleep than you're getting) and I'm still alive, so you can do it. What I would say though is that if you don't currently have a job doing art on a daily basis then there's no reason for working in this way on your own stuff, it's very taxing and for me more of a necessary evil than a choice; and I'm almost certain it's going to hit me hard soon.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agree with the people above. Getting up early is WAY better than staying up late. That way the work you're doing is the first thing your brain is doing rather than the last. Quality goes WAY up, IMO.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Think you already know whether or not it is.. just by asking the question.

But, I will say this though...Just after graduating I was the same way. A night owl.

The best time for me was between midnight and 5am. Absolutely no distractions and I could stay in the zone for what seemed to be an infinite amount of time. My brain felt very relaxed during those hours, for whatever reason, and I was able to absorb more information readily. I was genuinely really happy overall except it does show on the outside. Lack of sun. Dark circles underneath your eyes. That odd sleep pattern also fucks with your social life. There's probably more cause & effect scenarios than you realize...

Overall I didn't look healthy anymore. There's no doubt about it. Would i do it again? Probably.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    i work through the night at the moment, but this is body clock adjustment rather than staying up late. I wake at 4pm and sleep at around 10am....its not the best plan but it works fine for me in the current situation....would I keep it up for ever, probably not, but I don't see any perticularly detrimental effects developing, you just have to be aware that you can very easily become detached from the "real world" and deal with that accordingly
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Torch wrote: »
    Yes, its a terrible habit. You'd be much better off trying to get rid of those distractions and work solid from morning until evening, rather than staying up until 6. From personal experience its better to wake up early and get started as your mind will be super focused, compared to working late into the night and producing gash work.

You're more likely to burn out staying up until that time, not to mention have really negative effects on your mental health.

Totally disagree. I've mentioned it before, but my daughter being < 1 year old forces me to work whenever I can. right now my schedule is to work from 11pm - 6am.

I am super productive. One part, because I have to be to keep up with stuff coming in, and one part because there is literally nothing going on to distract me. But then maybe its my schedule that keeps me producing 'gash' work. Some people just work best on a different schedule from the rest, no need to knock them.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Seth what is it about your situation that forces that schedule on you?
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    My most productive years was when i was studying computer programming during the day and CG at night. Not the best but inspiration flowed a lot more during night than day time (for me at least). I guess you can only take it for a while and quit at sometime in your life.

You think Copernicus, Galileo, Hubble worked during the day ?
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    ysalex wrote: »
    But then maybe its my schedule that keeps me producing 'gash' work. Some people just work best on a different schedule from the rest, no need to knock them.

I never 'knocked' anyone bro, I think you might be being slightly over sensitive and may have misunderstood my point.

I am not in any place to criticize another person's work, as I consider myself still fairly amateur. What I meant is that I personally believe most people (including myself) are more productive throughout the day, rather than working deep into the night and losing focus or a keen eye for what looks good due to tiredness.

If that works for you and you can produce quality results that's great, but I was commenting more on the OP's experience as he said he felt burned out and was trying to offer an alternative train of thought :)
  • Jon Jones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jon Jones polycounter lvl 18
    Fabulous string of intelligent replies.

If you want to go pro, learn to manage your time and create a sustainable habit for yourself to create art. Shorting yourself on sleep and pushing yourself is fine if it's for a specific goal and sustainable in the short term, the same way any crunch can be a "good" crunch.

But never forget that if you want to be a good artist -- both for yourself and a prospective employer -- that you need to keep yourself happy and healthy and strong enough to create a healthy environment and routine for yourself to do so. Anyone can crunch themselves to death. A pro knows how to use their time and energy to get things done, but survive and be healthy to continue to do what they love productively another day.

No one wins by "out hardcore-ing" anyone else.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    don't crunch yourself to death! ...we pay other people to do that for you! j/k
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Gyrz wrote: »
    I feel so burnt out.
    This^
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    wow you guys staying up till 6am is impressive, I burn out no matter come 3am and need to sleep.

I try and contribute time whenever I can.

but I have often hit a great creative strive where the stars just seem to be lining up and the polys falling into place perfectly late at night, I think your brain can become stimulated in a way with some abnormal sleep deprivation.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think your brain can become stimulated in a way with some abnormal sleep deprivation.
    Perhaps, in a few isolated cases.

Lots of studies show that work done on a sleep deprived schedule typically needs to be redone or at least revisited after you get some rest, so are you really saving any time?

You're probably having FUN which is why you do it, but it's rarely a productivity gain in the end.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    they say alcohol makes you creative (but not necessarily cleverer or faster;)) and sleep deprivation affects you similarly to alcohol. So yeah...you're gonna do some weird shit if you don't get enough sleep.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    I'd say TEST different approaches to time management/sleeping patterns and see what works better for you.

Personally, I REALLY love waking up 5:45am, I really do enjoy mornings. But with a lot of testing, I found out that I get more productive if I sleep from 2 to 8am. So I leave the waking up early for my vacation time instead ;)

So just go with whatever works for you without making you feel like crap. If you're feeling good about yourself, good work will come out, no big mystery.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    You pretty much described me during summer. It's a really bad habit and something I need to change. But it's without a doubt nicer to work late at night. Just you, some music and your work.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Out of curiosity, how many of those who enjoy working all hours of the night are single or, at the very least, live alone? My night owl routine sort of stopped once my girlfriend (now wife) moved in with me...
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    seth. wrote: »
    i work through the night at the moment, but this is body clock adjustment rather than staying up late. I wake at 4pm and sleep at around 10am....its not the best plan but it works fine for me in the current situation....would I keep it up for ever, probably not, but I don't see any perticularly detrimental effects developing, you just have to be aware that you can very easily become detached from the "real world" and deal with that accordingly

lol, as if you've ever been particularly attached to the real world hahaha!
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I work best at night. Usually up until around 3 or 4am.

I really really hate waking up in the morning and going to work. I'd rather wake up and run my daily errands then go to work after I get everything finished.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    lol, as if you've ever been particularly attached to the real world hahaha!

guilty as charged :D
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    on a more serious note, my working hours are generally from ~1:30pm til ~1am. because i work from home, and my girlfriend works, i spend the mornings looking after the baby. so i typically get around 7 hours sleep.

for a little while the baby wasn't sleeping through the night properly and was sleeping during the day a fair amount, at that time i would work through the night, and sleep for around 4 hours a day with the baby and that was it. i really felt that after about a week though.

over a prolonged period, as long as you're getting around 8 hours UNDISTURBED sleep within every 24 hour cycle, you shouldn't see any adverse affects outside of lack of social life.
  • karytsukino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karytsukino greentooth
    Hey Guys!

This is a great discussion, I'd rather study in he mornings but I've to work so I usually study at night. It's not so bad study at night I definily have less distractions at that time but I feel less motivated then studing in the mornings.