Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Z-Brush Turtle Sculpt (Wip)

A.Hauber
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
A.Hauber polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys,
this is my first post here. I´m reading the forum for quite a while and thougt it`s time to post something by myself now.
I`m currently working on a Turtle model I Started this week. At first I only wanted to create a still Image out of it. But now I thought I will integrate it in a little animation with motion tracking. Never done that before so still a lot to learn ;-)
I know the Mesh isn`t really cleaned up and I`ve used a huge amount of Polys ( Around 63k). But I thougt it will be fine in the end because I`m not going to integrate her in a game engine. Or am I wrong about that? I`m also not happy with the claws, will fix them later on.
The next step would be bringing her into Maya and start with riging/posing her. Later on I will make an enviroment for some still Images and then starting with the other parts of the short film.
The Pictures are some simple Z-Brush renders along with the wireframe version in Maya. I thougt i will render her in mental ray later on. I also have V-ray available, but I`ve never really used it so far... Not sure if I should start lerning it for this project.

qzud.png

7jy5.png

s2p8.jpg

Replies

• A.Hauber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here is a small update on the shaders I made so far. I`m not really happy with the skinparts. Right now there are 2 different shaders on the front skinpart and the Backpart. Not sure which one to use. Any suggestions?

xvul.jpg
    dknt.jpg
    njax.jpg
  • Scifix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scifix polycounter lvl 9
    That turtle without the shell! 0_0 kill it with fire before it lays eggs!! jk. The shader seems a bit noisy for the turtle skin maybe tone down the specularity and then play around with the pattern to make it better to focus on. Perhaps you have a reference you are looking at? Post it. Anyway, turtles kick ass.
  • Laze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lmao it looks so brutal with out its shell xD.
  • A.Hauber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your help Scifix.

And Laze, your right :D Maybe later I will complete the whole model without a shell and make a dragonlike creature out of it ;-)

I turned down the specularity and used a cavity map to control it. And I decided to learn V-Ray. It took a while to figure out but I like the result.I think it`s more realistic compared to mentalray. But it`s really not as realistic as I want it to be ;-) . Don`t know wheater to focus on the lighting or to rethink my diffuse textures... I´m also excited to announce that a friend of mine will start with the little baby turtle next week. Until then I have to figute out how to create a breaking egg for the little turtle. I´m using rayfire but in the tests I`ve done so far my egg explodes everytime I start the simulation. I`tried to increase the collision tolerance but that didn`t really work. Mir Vadim said it has something to do with the convex fragmentation type... Anyone here knows something about this problem?

nbjs.png