Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

sci-fi scene

Esselle
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Esselle polycounter lvl 10
Hello all!

I already posted some screens in the WAYWO thread and decided to make a my own wip thread.

I'm working on a single texture scene (normal alpha+rbga, 2048x1024 but i think i can reduce it to 1024x512) in UDK that is just a sci-fi hallway (that's a truly original subject i know), but probably i would add a server-room, some sort of hall or perhaps a loudly engine station, all with the same texture sheet.

One thing that worries me are details and props. I just don't know what to add or where to add it... i tried to think about the place and its story, but something isn't clear.
For example, if it is a research facility leaded by an evil mad man obsessed by order and cleaning, probably the only things in the hallway would be some wire. But then the scene appears too empty. And viceversa....

Let me know what you think! :)

Also, i'm not really sure of what color scheme to follow, i would go for the blue-one anyway

27yy5v.png
30s7rbo.png
r1eir5.png

Replies

• MarkTullius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MarkTullius polycounter lvl 10
    I'd definitely go for the top colour scheme. Looks more realistic to me and the red on that panel fits in better. As or props off the top of my head I can think of possibly a terminal built into the wall or a map of the facility. Big decal of the facility name what level this is on. There are a lot of things you could add into it without cluttering the scene with random objects.

THis looks awesome. Can't wait to see what you do with it :)
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    I think the color scheme depends quite a bit on what type of atmosphere or story you're trying to sell. The green right now is reading better, but I think it's purely because your blue versions are way too saturated.

An evil mad man obsessed with order and cleaning... it's already too dirty for that :) Even so, there would be racks of supplies and cleaning equipment. Maybe he's anal about the air quality and you see CO2 scrubbers everywhere. Maybe there's a docking station for the Super Roomba to recharge. Also, think about where this building exists. Space station? Underground? Under the ocean? Military complex? Maybe those will spawn some ideas. Break up the hallway silhouette though. An easy way to do that is to make those hallway dividers/pillars have a different profile than the walls.
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    Looks pretty sweet. Would be nice to see more things happening on the wall just so its not so flat but if you add a server room then you would have a doorway so might not have to worry about it at all.

Other thing is the mood. The blue version is to blue imo at least. the pick between the 1st one and the 3rd one is about mood. first one looks possibly sickly or there was a problem. something isn't right is the feel im getting mood wise. the 3rd one is clean and running correctly, no problems.

Cant wait to see more though keep it up and lets see some more! :)
  • Esselle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your explaination about mood clarified my mind, thank you :)

I thought of this story for the scene.
    It's a recent built geology research complex on a new colonized planet. It is underground near to a large gas natural deposit. But just now something happened and there's a damage in the plumbing system, filling the whole facility with a toxic green-yellow gas. All workers anyway survived and the whole complex has been instantly evacuee. The scientists heard a loudly rumble in the Core-22, so they think the reason of the problem is a bomb, or maybe an overload of engines and pumps, perhaps fraudulent... A squad get called to investigate and take these photos.

I will add a large circular room, the core-22, an engine room where there is the center of the pluming system, right beyond the door
    Harbinger wrote:
    Break up the hallway silhouette though. An easy way to do that is to make those hallway dividers/pillars have a different profile than the walls.
    I modified the walls, and maybe will add a hydraulic piston or some tie-beam in the right pillar

Dear decals, i didn't think about them D: thank you, i will add of course!

Thank you guys for comments!

p.s. the door closes from right to left, so when it opens doesn't cut pipes up.

2dhwbdl.png
  • Esselle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some updates!

Starting to make the engine room. In the center of the room there will be a huge engine. In that hole in the wall there will be an elevator, and then i have to add a control outpost.

9thlqh.png
    16blrh0.png
    wkivz5.png
  • Esselle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Other updates, textured the room. Still have to make and add the center pieces and the elevator, i will give it a try tomorrow :poly124:

rqvrmd.png
    w0gv13.png
    e1cftk.png
    2czas89.png
  • Esselle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soo, i made some progress... i still can't find a nice color scheme <.<

I made some error with lightmapping and uv

eqe4pl.png
    15dvyif.png
    15p1fgh.jpg
    kapyqq.png
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Making nice progress dude! Some really nice assets.

As far as color scheme I think it looks a little too green now, maybe trying and bring some of the blues back in a bit.
  • Esselle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Making nice progress dude! Some really nice assets.

As far as color scheme I think it looks a little too green now, maybe trying and bring some of the blues back in a bit.

Thank you man! I lowered the green component and added some light-red lights
    2qtc1nc.png
    28tzxug.png
    2m3jj9i.png
    a2rsbq.png
  • Esselle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, i did more progress. Maybe these will be the last screenshots, but probably i will try to convert the scene to the physical based lighting model made by almighty_gir here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124934

I changed the color scheme (yes again). Now it is the overused orange-blue.
    Also, still some lightmaps issues caused by continuing importing of assets, and i sometimes forgot to pack the uv, but my crappy computer takes 1h+ to bake the lights, so i do it once in a while.
    qxnxix.jpg
    2hnynm0.jpg
    675un8.jpg
    wldf2h.jpg
  • looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    Looks great! The environment can use some more a-symmetry once you figure out the lighting.
  • Esselle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix wrote: »
    Looks great! The environment can use some more a-symmetry once you figure out the lighting.
    Thanks! I will try to modify a bit the structure :)

Anyway, i tried the PBL model. I modified the shader just to use only one texture (+ normal map).

I find walls a bit wet, but i can't find nicer result, so i keep it this way. Instead i will change the cubemap.

Crates and wires still use the basic phong shader.
    2q3uf7q.png