Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

RailBladerX's HS/EV Portfolio from Scratch (Continued)

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
RailbladerX polycounter lvl 8
Portfolio Piece #2 SCI-FI Time!

Hey guys, I was given the opportunity for a "potential" job a little while ago, but sadly I didn't have any Sci-Fi work at the time. So I was told to come back with some work showing that I could indeed do Sci-Fi. So I put the Poseidon piece on hold, and became a Sci-Fi hermit. But don't worry I will finish my Medieval scene, and there are pics in the thumbnails of where I left off.

For the Sci-Fi piece it is the same objective: Make a detail/asset heavy island scene.

First a clay block out, to give you an idea of what I wanted to accomplish:

GFHrYmr.jpg

Then here are the more finished assets, I'm going back to redesign some parts on a lot of them (the Clay bits), just things I wanted to improve on.

Heres the Reactor Section.

wbp4uq0.jpg

Center piece where the stairs converge, and where the sword is held.

3b9HNt9.jpg

Close up of the minor Tidbits on the CenterPiece.

w3kDKjH.jpg

Here I was experimenting with the bridge and the engines themselves.

IzUDP5s.jpg

And here is the progress of the Main Lighting Asset that is at the top.

GT8oman.jpg

And then the BONUS ROUND asset, Im not sure if I'll have the time to get around to it, but here is the clay block out for the Sword.

38oPQho.jpg

Replies

• CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    Huuum wow o_o Great hard surface!

Everything done in Zbrush?
  • mbischof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clean stuff looks sick. Excited to see more.
  • RailbladerX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys
    And yep! Mostly Everything is done in zbrush. (other then throwing the retops in Max for quick low poly clean up)
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    wow, looking really promising , but I really would rethink the sword
    You dont have to put totally senseless stuff on something just to make it scifi.
    Its super blocky and not functional at all, and credibility is the most important things of all. Good design is simple and you can make it look mighty without it beeing so fat
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    wow. I'm impressed. When I first saw the blockout I thought that it might be a bad idea to do such an amount of hardsurface work zbrush. But holy crap. This looks incredible clean. Unfortuantely I'm not into zBrush. Buit If I think about doing this in 3d Coat my brain hurts.
    Could you give a slight break down how your workflow is on these assets?

Awesome work. Keep rockin'.
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    This is cool, I'm curious how you approached the design aspect before modeling and how long?

Also if you do continue on the sword, the hilt closest to the handle looks a little blobby and hard to read.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus_Aseth polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome Zbrush hardsurface skillsRailbladerX,the job is already yours imo :):thumbup:

Any chance that you can point out the tutorials material that taught you to hardsurface in that way into Zbrush? :poly124:
  • RailbladerX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, means a lot. A boost in motivational confidence goes a long way!

@ Shrike: Yea man I agree, thats why its definitely a bonus round asset. The design process is just going too sluggish as I try and find shapes that I like (that was like my 7th redo of it). It sucks too cause its my favorite piece, but until I can make it read better its just going to collect dust. :(

For the design process its nothing new. Most of the time, I will start a small scribble in Photoshop, then work a block out in Zbrush with Dyna-Mesh/polish (which by the time I am ready to Retop it doesn't look anything like my scribble :poly136:)

It took a few weeks before I could find a finished design that I really liked. But after that, I do a retopology of the clay block out and then rez up the polys, and throw morph-targeted stamps and what not on it. The hardest and longest part is really just the design battle against Time, and my pickyness.

But For tutorials, I really just write notes down, and study the art from what other artists say, do and post like: Vitaly Bulgarov, Kevin Johnstone, Mike Jensen.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Damn dude. Thats some wicked Z hard suraces!

Looking forward to the progression here, Keep up the good work.
  • RILKE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RILKE polycounter lvl 13
    Seriously awesome, inspiring work, strong design.
    Keep up the great work!
  • Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ootrick polycounter lvl 6
    Lots of detail! Looking good..
  • JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    Great Details, but beware of not overdoing it. The single elements look nice, but i could imagine if its all together, there are too many details and too noisy structure. At the stair image my eyes are hurrying around all these details, but then resting on this diagonal plattform. Also some details seemed to be scaled on other elements. For example the "screws" are in a lot different sizes, i would recommend to use only 3-4 screwsizes everywhere.
  • RailbladerX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

@ JHS: Thanks for the heads up man. When I check'd to see how badly different the bolt sizes are; its thankfully only a problem on the stairs, and center piece so I've fixed those. Also I have gone ahead and made 4 bolts sizes instead of guessing/eyeballing the sizes. and I've changed the Steps to a ramp, and loosen'd the details too make it easier on the eyes. I just need to tweek a few bits here and there and i'll post it.
  • sheckee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sheckee polycounter lvl 9
    This is insane. It boggles my mind how this is achieved in zBrush. Mad!
  • RailbladerX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, texture time! So I wanted to get an idea of some colors, so I skipped a head a bit, and did the first 2 main pieces. The "Main Top Light" asset is for the most part done, just need to fix those seams that I've missed.

ACmHytr.jpg

Here are the 2 pieces together. And it raised some interesting design questions from a friend of mine, and I'm honestly really liking the idea of a floating tech piece held together with lasers, or a gravity particle effect.

rOW6LdM.jpg

Just a color test with throw-a-way spec and normals. Ugh, this piece has so much more work to be done...

7yCAbgd.jpg

Here is the Top light breakdown.

acZqzWD.jpg

XxHQCLx.jpg
  • RailbladerX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And here is the Update on the Main Generator, I've also redesigned the steps into more of a ramp to lessen the overwhelming details that the steps where giving. Just a few more tweeks, and gaps to fill and they will be done.

xh9S4LT.jpg

Ko8ajbp.jpg

cwPwBH4.jpg

So,I hope you guys enjoy, and again, bring on the critiques!!!
  • RailbladerX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

And I'm wondering if anyone else feels that the metal on the Top light asset looks too dirty or not. its supposed to be outside and be slightly aged (few years) and I'm wondering if it is giving that impression?