Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3] - ScottHomer's Destruction Dioramas

Replies

• Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Nice job mate :)

Since it's final this might not be necessary, but I liked the motion blur you had before it was just a bit strong and weird then.
    The spider webs seems a bit poorly integrated they seem to defy the lighting in the scene almost emissive, also a bit too many at the lamp makes it look noisy.

Looking forward to see your new scene, the jukebox looks great :)
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    This is really fantastic Scott. Love all the attention to detail in how the building was made. With the many layers of different wall treatment as well as secondary assets in there like the pipes. Textures look great as well.
  • SA_22
    this came out killer scott! awesome job!
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    That mouse is a great touch! along with the pipes bursting with water !

Awesome Job man. Can't wait to see the diner.
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    this looks great! bigger screenshot would be nice though :poly121:

only thing that stands out is where you placed the hook, that area should be brighter i think. older polished wood gets darker and the covered area should be more saturated and slightly brighter and higher gloss instead of darker(what you have now) if i am not mistaken.

looks great anyways.
  • RMeeks
    Looks awesome Scott!
  • garriola83
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Great job on this! Inspirational....
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    sick dude! love it
  • RexM
    Love how far you pushed it, it turned out great! :D Good stuff. Is that... a mouse I see down there? Damn, love details like that. So good. May I humbly request a high res shot?
  • PixelSuit
    Amazing work, just....wow! Really looking forward to the next one now
  • R00
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Great work dude! Love it!
  • Alphavader
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    Nice Progress - i love it.
    I like the "new" lightning - now i can focus better on the scene.
    Great job Scott
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Wow incredible work :O
  • Laze
    Damn, it's so aesthetic. Presentation and the overall detail is spot on. c:
  • Fnitrox
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    Really amazing work on this! Can't wait for the others.

but i'm not really liking the webs, they look out of scale and more like tangled thread than actual spider's webs
  • keffer
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    This is amazing. Inspiring! I'm going to have to buckle down and step up my work :)
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Awesome work man! Love your process. Really straight forward just with a great eye for detail.
  • Teessider
    Offline / Send Message
    Teessider polycounter lvl 11
    Scott that diorama is sick! Very inspiring and awesome! :D
  • underfox
    Offline / Send Message
    underfox polycounter lvl 7
    wonderful work! really. the only little tiny thing that doesn't really blend well in the scene imho are the spider web, they just seems like sewing thread instead of spider web thread,I think spider webs are much thinner.

but don't get me wrong, your scene is great nonetheless. i'm a huge fan of your work ;)

edits: well seems like fnitrox has the same opinion about it :P
  • silver_hoodlum
    Offline / Send Message
    silver_hoodlum polycounter lvl 4
    Lovely, hard to get this kindda atmosphere on engines. well done :)
  • Progg
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Great work man, love the idea
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 18
    Turned out fantastic Scott.

ps levisosaaaaaaa....
  • fifftyframes
    Offline / Send Message
    fifftyframes polycounter lvl 9
    Simply amazing. The mouse with the cheese is a nice touch.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Damn Scott, that turned out awesome :)
  • DavidBrumbley
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidBrumbley polycounter lvl 8
    the material and lighting on your balls is very nice
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    That looks great, man. Your presentation is always top notch! I'm curious though, how did you go about making the spider webs? I tried doing some for my wine cellar but it looks pretty bad compared to yours. Granted I didn't spend more than 10 minutes on the texture...

Anyway, keep it up!
  • scotthomer
    Cheers for all the positive feedback guys, I really killed myself this weekend to get this thing finished and I really appreciate the encouragement. Big thanks go to the guys in the Polycount Hangouts for being generally awesome and keeping my company on my 22+ hour days this weekend.

@Stromberg- Thanks for the feedback dude, I did like the motion blur, but as many people said it distracted from focal point and hid my work so I figured id drop it. The lighting on the cobwebs is simply so that they were visible, before I changed them to emit a small amount they were practically invisible in the scene. They will definitely get some attention if I go back to the scene.

@Autocon- Thank you Anthony, Im a big fan of your work so its great to hear from you! I had great fun building the scene, doing the plaster and the lathe was definitely a high point.

@SA22- Thank you dude!

@s620ex1- Ahah, thank Matt Waggle for that, he did the mouse at super short notice and did a great job. I just baked it onto a tiny texture and boom, instant win :D Thanks dude, ive already started gathering references for the diner :D

@MM - Thank you dude! I may take a look at that area again. I don't think it ruins the image at the moment so I guess its not worth a recapture until I next visit it. Will put it on my wish-list of fixes :)

@Raymond - Cheers dude!

@Garriola85 - Thank you man, you should do a collapsing character :D

@Sean - Thanks man :)

@Rex - Ahaha yeah Its a little mouse! Ill try and get a higher res shot this week, I actually down-res'ed the shot to get some better AO, so I may need to recapture to get a higher res shot of a similar quality.

@PixelSuit - thank you man! Im looking forward to getting cracking on it :)

@polycrunch - Thank you man :)

@Alpha - Cheers dude! I had a bunch of great critique from guys at work that the scene was too ambient and ultimately kinda flat, so adding some more contrast and saturation definitely helped bring the audience into the composition.

@torch - Cheers man!

@Laze - Thank you dude! I had alot of time to sweat the details, hopefully I can achieve a similar level of detail in this next scene eh?

@Fnitrox - Yeah ive had mixed reviews on the webs, some love them others dont. I think if I get a chance to revisit and recapture the scene Im going to give them some love to hopefully make them look more like webs and less like individual threads.

@Keffer - Thanks man! im currently building the low poly, I cant wait to texture it.

@Mospheric - Ahaha, glad I could help man, I feel the same all the time on here..

@Jeffy P - Thank you dude! Really appreciate that.

@AndyBell-en..nevermind - Thank you man :)

@Underfox - Yeah, definitely on my wish-list of things to fix If I get a chance to do so.

@silver_hoodlum - Its easy once you know how, Cryengine definitely has alot of features that help achieve these results.

@Progg - Thanks man! Will have to hit me up at work for a chat!

@Kev - Thank you dude, you guys on the hangout have been great for motivating me. Definitely been good to shoot the breeze late into the night... stahhp it Ron..stahhppp.

@FifftyFrames - Thank you man! Cant have a mouse without cheese..am I right?!

@Damian - Thank you dude! See you tomorrow :)

@DavidBrumbley - Thank you man, glad you like my balls. They where teste-ing my patience.

@Brygel - Thank you dude! I made the spiders webs by using a script made by JokerMartini http://jokermartini.com/2012/05/09/cobwebs/ and baking the results to a plane. Super quick and easy, going back I would definitely put some time into making them look more realistic by blending some photo sourced webs into the textures.

Once again, thanks so much people. Couldnt have done it without you guys :)

Also, Ive been reference gathering for the next diorama, no rest for the wicked!

diner_reference_images.jpg
  • underfox
    Offline / Send Message
    underfox polycounter lvl 7
    I will surely follow it.:thumbup:
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Those blue booths are epic! I'd love to see that. Instant diner thought: Red + Checkerboard+Chrome. Blue is unexpected, and looks very appealing.

And props for the individualized responses. Forget the art, You deserve a metal for your tact. Not to mention your ability to consistently integrate all the great community feedback around here.

Your art is great, Scott. But it's only half the reason I'm inspired by you! Keep up the awesome work mam. really looking forward to the diner.
  • Fnitrox
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    s620ex1 wrote: »
    And props for the individualized responses. Forget the art, You deserve a metal for your tact. Not to mention your ability to consistently integrate all the great community feedback around here.

^^ This. I've never seen any artist giving such amount of care to people commenting on their work, even if it was just a "great work!" comment :D

Also why the hell didn't I subscribe to this thread yet? Those refs are looking great I'm sure you'll pull off a masterpiece again!
  • SaarlemSanders
    I've been keeping up with this thread since it appeared on the Recap, and just wanted to say, awesome work. Your stuff is really inspiring, amazing attention to little details and presentation (as fifftyframes already mentioned, the mouse with the cheese is a great example of that). Can't wait to see how the diner turns out too; the jukebox strongly suggests that it'll join the stately home in my inspiration folder.
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    looks bloody ace scott....this is just a short roadtrip from you too if you need extra reference....the burgers aren't too bad either :)

http://theamericandiner.wix.com/the-50s-american
  • Benjam
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjam polycounter lvl 4
    Nice work man, living the composition. The spider webs however, I would have personally left out but either way it looks ace!
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Absolutely top notch work Scott!
  • Intervain
    Offline / Send Message
    Intervain polycounter lvl 13
    fantastic work, I love the touch with the little mouse :)
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    scotthomer wrote: »
    @Brygel - Thank you dude! I made the spiders webs by using a script made by JokerMartini http://jokermartini.com/2012/05/09/cobwebs/ and baking the results to a plane. Super quick and easy, going back I would definitely put some time into making them look more realistic by blending some photo sourced webs into the textures.
    Ah, awesome, that looks fantastic. I would love something like that for Maya.
  • CreativeHD
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeHD polycounter lvl 6
    I really enjoy looking at your work Scott, it is very inspirational!
  • Inkalicious
    hey man fantastic work. what did you use for reference? I am doing something similar and having a trouble finding reference.
  • Theodoric
    Offline / Send Message
    Theodoric polycounter lvl 10
    Nice progress on the diorama, the result is awesome!
    Can't wait the next one. :)
  • scotthomer
    diner_jukebox_baked_thumb.jpg<-- Updates below wall of text!

Sorry for the lack of replies dudes! I have been working my ass off on the next diorama recently, but Id rather not show my hand before its ready so to speak. The main reason thing have been alittle slow of late is because I'm soon to be speaking at an industry event here in the UK towards the end of the month (26th of September);

bfx.jpg
    Click here to find out more.

So I have been putting together the jukebox so that I can do a quick breakdown of the process of creating an asset from start to finish. Scroll down to see the progress (and drop me dem critiques!)

underfox: Why thank you kind sir!

s620ex1: I agree 100%, the diner that seth suggested (that I went to last weekend!) has a blue interior and it works so

well when its contrasted against the chrome that finishes every edge in the diner. Ahah, well the way I see it dude, if you guys are going to take the time to comment its only right that I atleast reply. Thanks for following my stuff dude, no pressure!

Fnitrox: Thanks man! I do really appreciate the feedback I get on here, and I tend to put off replying until ive got a good chunk of stuff to reply to as it takes some time. Glad you're all subscribed now dude, im just hoping I get the time to do this diner justice!

SaarlemSanders: Thank you dude, Im glad you like what ive been doing, the mouse and the cheese has been something ive

wanted to do for the longest time and I was really glad that my friend Matt Waggle (hes awesome!) stepped up to help me out. Lets hope I can get this bad boy wrapped up in the next couple of months!

seth.: Sef! Thanks for the suggestion dude, I totally took your suggestion and drove out there for a number of reasons:
    A. I love driving, this is a good excuse to drive down through some of the midland's finest.
    2. I love a good burger (and these were AWESOME!)
    Trois. This place is GORGEOUS, it is perfect and I managed to get tonnes of reference, ill post them all up at some point, but just the outside was pretty mindblowing:

b35da09c0cbb11e38c0f22000ae80389_7.jpg

Benjam: Thank you dude, I really appreciate the support. Ill hopefully get some time to polish the webs before I call the whole project finished. Im leaning towards agreeing with you!

[HP]: Thank you elder, WHY YOU NO CALL ANYMORE?!

Intervain: Ahah thank you dude! Ive been thinking about doing the cheese and the mouse thing for ages, it was well worth the late night! On a side note, my girlfriend is the biggest AssCreed fan ever, and struggled to contain herself when I told her you'd checked out my stuff. Think you've got a new biggest fan.

Brygelsmack: I think the only way that would be possible atm would be to install it on max, then transfer the fbx over to (boooo) maya! I didnt mind dropping a few dollars on this reasonably priced useful tool. Love Jokers stuff.

CreativeHD: Thank you dude! Im really glad you liked it, I feel quite proud of how it came together, although Im still trying to recover from the lack of sleep!

Inkalicious: I tend to use Flickr alot, simply because of the overwhelming abundance of the most mundane stuff ever. Definately recommend, cheers for the compliment also dude!

Theodoric: Thank you Theo, I cant wait to get the next one behind me, alot of work to do upfront in order to get it built in an optimized, speedy fashion.

UPDATEZ!

So, I plan to show a breakdown of the Jukebox, so I spent extra time to make sure that my uv's and bake was as close to perfect as I could get it. I did some texturing on the asset over the weekend, focussing on material definition. Ive gotten a whole tonne of feedback from work/facebook, but id love some opinions on where im currently at. Im about 75% of the way through at this stage, so ive still gt a few hours to go until I call it done.

diner_jukebox_baked.jpg

Sorry for the essay guys, hit me up with your thoughts and alsom if you're in the area, drop by to my talk on the 26th!

Scott.
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    You never disappoint man :) all the way down to faded edges on the Drilled holes on the plywood back! Awesome

Only part even remotely in need of attention, if any, would be the power cord. Given how old these things are i'm not sure what material it would be, But it reads as if it's raw cable right now.and the tips are kinda off. The hole cable just seems like a quick stab. Which is depressing for me, cause it still looks good :D

Looking forward to updates! Keep up the hard work, and good luck with the speech!
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    scotthomer wrote: »
    Brygelsmack: I think the only way that would be possible atm would be to install it on max, then transfer the fbx over to (boooo) maya! I didnt mind dropping a few dollars on this reasonably priced useful tool. Love Jokers stuff.
    Definitely a good idea. I have the student version of both Max and Maya, so it shouldn't be a problem. I just generally like to do as much work as I can within one app to avoid having to move around too much. Maybe that's a lazy mindset I have to change. :D

Jukebox is looking sweet btw! Can't really think of any crits that would add to the asset... Maybe as it's in a destroyed diner, add some cracks to the glass? Minor thing that I guess would look pretty cool.

That speech sounds interesting as well. Love to hear how you approach things as texturing and polycount budgets etc at Crytek. Will it be available on video at some point?
  • Stockwell
    As somebody about to graduate and currently in the process of uploading my portfolio, I have to say...since I've only been trolling this thread for so long, that your stuff Scott has been incredibly inspirational. I'll have to subscribe now to keep an eye on this diner, but every update I saw from the first scene always blew my mind.

Not to mention the jukebox put me in need of a new change of clothing, so I just had to say your stuff is amazing.

Like s620ex said, if this is any help at all, the only thing that stood out to me was how clean the bottom metal looked, when put in comparison with how grungy your glass is looking, and since your thread's title includes the word destruction, I could imagine some dirt building up around that bottom edge, just to help break that up a little bit more. But still mind blowing.

I am definitely looking forward to that breakdown, your material definition is incredible.

Keep up the fantastic work! Wish I could come see you speak, but good luck!!!

-Stockwell
  • ILLMATICC
    Offline / Send Message
    ILLMATICC polycounter lvl 6
    The amount of love and effort you put into every piece of work you do is epic Scott, i honestly cant wait to see what you do with this diner theme, diner aesthetic is so appealing :) that humble small town atmosphere
  • R00
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    This is looking great Scott! Really looking forward to seeing your breakdown on the asset.

The only thing that I can see that is missing is some screws/nails holding the MDF back to the unit. Maybe throw in a tear mark and some water damage?

Keep up the great work dude :)
  • Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    thats one sexy jukebox! love your work. love the lightening/ texture
  • Stephanie
    Offline / Send Message
    Stephanie polycounter lvl 8
    Nice job updating that jukebox, it looks great. I love what you've done with the materials! :)
  • badmouse
    Offline / Send Message
    badmouse polycounter lvl 8
    I love the Destruction Dioramas, Is a masterpiece!

How many textures did you use in the whole scene? and what size?
  • imb3nt
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    :thumbup::thumbup: