Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

BattleTech Heavy Gauss Rifle

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
nak1411 polycounter lvl 8
I had a sudden urge to create some BattleTech goodies after playing MWO. Here is my start to a Heavy Gauss Rifle. It is far from complete but I am having issues with the faceted look of the barrel while rendering. When i try to soften the edges it looks like crap so I am assuming my topology is a little rough. I will post up a wireframe later. This is just a quick update until I get home from work.

hf6a.jpg

Replies

• nak1411
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update! This is a bit tricky considering I had to use TON of creative freedom thanks to there being only one reference image of this weapon. Not sure what else to add to really make it pop.

kyd7.jpg
    3v9r.jpg
    ztc7.jpg
    5jtl.jpg
  • JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    Hahaha it´s true there is only 1 Image existing :D
    I guess i would tweak the sickness of some elements. The hydraulics on the sides seems too thin, even i don´t know what they should do. Some more framelike metall bars would be good on the "inside" (where the ammostrip is), to hold the ammunition container. You can find good inspiration by googling for vulcan gun/gau 8a. Try to think about how this thing would really work and construct it (by thinking) from inside to outside.
  • nak1411
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback! I am adding a lot of fluff to it as we speak. I agree, the ammo feeds have been bugging me. I might end up reworking them a lot because they seem a lot less detailed than the rest of the weapon.
  • nak1411
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A few updates. Redid the ammo feed chutes and added another cable and ridges on the barrel. I am still trying to figure out how the heck they mount these things to mechs considering there are no mounting points. More creative freedom I guess.

ev99.jpg
    s8uz.jpg