Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dodge-B 1950

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Dazz3r polycounter lvl 12
Just started a new portfolio piece, and just doing the initial blockout.
tkLAisx.jpg
2kJBBAY.jpg
XtLJlT2.jpg

So this is going to form the basis of the low poly, my next step will be..

(1) to create high poly versions of the various parts by slapping on the turbo-smooth and then adding edge loops as required to tighten up edges etc

(2) UV the low poly

(3) bake in xnormal

I'm hoping when it comes to the bake, I can get some help from the community as I'm not the best when it comes to baking clean normal maps, to be quite honest mine are hideous, really hoping to learn and improve.

Replies

• Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dazz3r polycounter lvl 12
  • SuperDuty455
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperDuty455 polycounter lvl 6
    That looks promising ! You forgot the split between the front nose piece and the fenders. They're three different pieces.

But there is too much rust, I mean, there is rust in places where it's not really supposed to rust. The area where the top outer wheel arch meets the rest of the fender for example, I see no reason it would rust like that in this place, unless it would be made of two different panels which is not the case.
    Same around the headlights, if you look at the front of the car, these are recessed but in one piece with the front "nose" panel, so again, moisture wouldn't concentrate here I would put some rust on the front edge of each headlight.

Again, the recessed center section of the hood is very likely to be stamped in one piece with the whole part, so water will flow all over it and never stay on top of it.
    And the surroundings of the "grilles" of the front panel wouldn't rust like that either since, again, it's stamped in one piece.

Look at this one (not the same year but similar design), it's badly rusted out and obviously sat in a wet area for a while :
    6673466743_9d96b44884.jpg
    There's little to no rust around the headlight "cups" or the upper crease of the wheel arches.

Also, 1950 sheet metal was of much better quality than let's say 70's sheet metal.

You have to think of where would water,moisture and debris sit, and then you add the rust. The most common rust places are lower door edges, lower fender and quarter panels, wheel arches, windows mounting areas, under the trims pieces, and any place where there a two thicknesses of sheet metal on top of each other and no way for water to come out.

EDIT : okay, I had a better look at the headlights, it's in two pieces with the chrome trim ring so I got it wrong. But it's still a little too rusty here IMO.
  • ReneFisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ReneFisher polycounter lvl 6
    I agree that the placement of the rust could be better, and would add that there should be a bit of variation in the color of the rust also. The paint surrounding the rust could use some discoloration and wear also.

This picture makes for a pretty good example.

rusted-out-1957-chevy-convertible.jpg
  • Grayson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grayson polycounter lvl 16
    It's a good start but I'd say pay closer attention to the concepts you have. I noticed the back of your cab's shape is a little off, the bed shapes are off, and the floor of the bed is going to be wooden planks.