Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warhammer 40k Plasma Pistol

So i've been trying to improve my work in generally recently and this is the first piece i've been that happy with that I want to show it off and ask for criticism.

PlasmaPistolTextured1.pngPlasmaPistolTextured2.png

Originally I had intended to texture this in a realistic manner, however after applying a simple diffuse colour I really like how it looked, and thus decided to stick with it. I'll probably end up doing the chainsword in a realistic style to get the contrast between the two pieces.

Any criticsm or tips on improving it are welcome. In addition I have a thread over in Digital Sketchbooks if your intrested in more of my work :D

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1894127#post1894127

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Why are you satisfied with this plastic, clean, toy look?
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah this is nothing to be satisfied with, take it all the way! :)
  • Bdcoll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well theirs probably 2 main reasons.

Firstly I found it quite aesthetically pleasing to look at compared to my other work. In addition I found the cartoony feel to it contrasted nicely to any of the other texturing work i've done in the past.

The second main reason is probably because I don't really understand how to get the texturing correct. I'm watching Racer445's texturing tutorial now for the shotgun, but my lack of texturing ability is another discussion entirely -_-
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    If you are bad at texturing, now's the time to trip, crawl, and cry.

Texture it. I'm gonna be blunt and say a plasma pistol that looks like this from 40k looks boring. Take it to finish to get it looking portfolio/game ready.

Is this meant for a FPS? Who was its user? Did they fight in the 1st Company of the Ultramarines who met the Tyranid Hive Fleets in personal combat? Is it stained with the blood of the Emperor's enemies, treasonous and heretical hordes of Chaos following daemons? Was it rarely used as an ornamental weapon of a presitigous Inquisitor? Or was it looted by a lucky Ork, using it now for a new Waagh that'll make all dem humies thing twoice about dubba crossin' dis Warboss?
  • Bdcoll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye well that's why I was going through the process of making it in the first place. Trying to learn a lot of different techniques, including texturing in a short period of time ( Or at least get decent as you never stop learning). It just happened that i felt particularly happy with what I already had.

It wasn't originally, but I was considering bringing it over into CSS and UDK just so I have the experience of having done that.