Home Contests & Challenges Archives

VG Remix - Dark Souls

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
M4rt3 polycounter lvl 5
Hi everybody :)
just managed to free enough time for this competition.
I´ve chosen dark souls as theme.(Artorias is my favorite character)

this is gonna be the theme:

Artorias-of-the-Abyss.jpg

i just started working on the arena. i´ll post a sketch up preview asap.

good luck everybody!

Replies

• M4rt3
    Offline / Send Message
    M4rt3 polycounter lvl 5
    here´s the model of Artorias

[SKETCHFAB]638fc1044c2c423fb9570d89c14b1a49[/SKETCHFAB]

and here´s the arena :)

[SKETCHFAB]528a155851f04b259c76d7eb08d381c0[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Spacey
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    You should open up a few of the sides on your diorama so we can actually see into the arena instead of being restricted to looking in from the top. Nice job with the character, he has a lot of personality. Good luck with the rest!
  • danielletaureau
    Yeah, character is looking nice - as Spacey said, open up the arena. Maybe smash down a couple of the pillars and make it look ruined? :)
  • M4rt3
    Offline / Send Message
    M4rt3 polycounter lvl 5
    totally agree with both of you. i´m working on a solution right now.

thx for the advices :)
  • M4rt3
    Offline / Send Message
    M4rt3 polycounter lvl 5
    just an update of the whole thing.

[SKETCHFAB]67f9935f96314336a14915bfbcb7dc13[/SKETCHFAB]

i still need to model the elite knight and to add the grass on the floor and walls.

i was also thinking of putting Sif in the scene (even if it´s not lore friendly). let me know what u think about it :)
  • M4rt3
    Offline / Send Message
    M4rt3 polycounter lvl 5
    Just started texturing the chosen undead in elite knight armor.

i hope to finish and pose it for tomorrow, so i can work on artorias sword :)

*UPDATE*
    [SKETCHFAB]1aed7061d7db4246b0270884bb3401e0[/SKETCHFAB]
  • M4rt3
    Offline / Send Message
    M4rt3 polycounter lvl 5
    so, i finished the textures of the elite knight.

this is the result of the whole thing so far. Next step is gonna be to fix the textures of the outer walls and to finish to add all the vegetation.

*UPDATE*
    [SKETCHFAB]cdd9eafcdee34d39b34ad08d52593974[/SKETCHFAB]

the guide fo the alpha map was really helpfull for the spreading abyss under artorias feets.
  • onionhead_o
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    this is really nice for low poly
  • M4rt3
    Offline / Send Message
    M4rt3 polycounter lvl 5
    working on a new part of the composition (below the arena).
    i decided to add the archtrees undeground with the everlasting dragon and the bonefire :)

[SKETCHFAB]08f5478db90646ed932c4eea98016a83[/SKETCHFAB]

here is the ref

1480776-1348182405.jpeg
  • M4rt3
    Offline / Send Message
    M4rt3 polycounter lvl 5
    Almost done.

Artorias sword is still missing :P
  • M4rt3
    Offline / Send Message
    M4rt3 polycounter lvl 5
    done with the sword. this is the whole diorama and the textures(attached below).

[SKETCHFAB]b85274e1375a471589b92225b738e145[/SKETCHFAB]

hope u like it :)
  • Roxxor
    Offline / Send Message
    Roxxor polycounter lvl 9
    Love the concept and the models, but the overall diorama is lacking still. I think it needs some more dynamic lighting somehow to bring the eye to the interest point(s). Or perhaps a more dynamic pose for Artorias. The concept picture you posted is so cool because you can tell there is action - they are in the middle of a fight. The diorama doesn't really convey that.
  • M4rt3
    Offline / Send Message
    M4rt3 polycounter lvl 5
    Roxxor wrote: »
    Love the concept and the models, but the overall diorama is lacking still. I think it needs some more dynamic lighting somehow to bring the eye to the interest point(s). Or perhaps a more dynamic pose for Artorias. The concept picture you posted is so cool because you can tell there is action - they are in the middle of a fight. The diorama doesn't really convey that.

yeah, your´re right. i´m trying some different poses for artorias.
    i also want to add lightrays entering the arena. i think the contrast between the dark in the lower part and the light in the upper will help the focal point of the composition.

thx alot for the feedbacks! :D
  • evilblah
    Offline / Send Message
    evilblah polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, awesome work. I agree that the diorama needs a little more. Have you thought about taking the dragon covenant and flipping it upside down and attaching the bottom of the covenant to the bottom of the arena? To create a mirrored effect? Just a thought and it might open the diorama up a little.
  • M4rt3
    Offline / Send Message
    M4rt3 polycounter lvl 5
    evilblah wrote: »
    Wow, awesome work. I agree that the diorama needs a little more. Have you thought about taking the dragon covenant and flipping it upside down and attaching the bottom of the covenant to the bottom of the arena? To create a mirrored effect? Just a thought and it might open the diorama up a little.

that would be great but the problem will become the trees (they need something on top).

this is the result so far. i changed position of both characters and also the pose of artorias. i´m pretty happy of the result.
    I´m still not sure about the ground piece in the middle and i was thinking to switch to something more scattered (kinda like the one of the "dishonored" diorama by AzzaMat).

[SKETCHFAB]e8b3f3ec503a4e4691cd6ae5b5c9c905[/SKETCHFAB]
  • mafubash
    Offline / Send Message
    mafubash polycounter lvl 5
    looking awesome! I really like the dragon! just a suggestion, but you could try creating cube geo thats the same size as one of the stone tiles and texture it the same but with some cracks and place it over some random tiles. I did a quick paint over to better describe what I'm trying to say. u1a3.png

I feel if you do this it will make the floor seem less flat and would break up the tiling.