Home Technical Talk

Tiling question

I'm working on a tiling wall currently and was wondering.....is there a fundamental difference between keeping my uv's in the (0,1) domain and tiling the crap out of my maps via the material editor versus not tiling my map at all and simply scaling the uv's across domains until it looks correct? I can't think of a reason but it's something I never thought about before?

Replies

• osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    they both achieve the same thing, so I'd say don't worry about which one to use. The only thing is that if you tile it in your uv's, that is stored there forever, even if you open it in maya, or some other application, whereas if you tile it using the material editor, it's only tiled IN there. So it wouldn't look the same if you ever put it in another engine/app.
  • damageINC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @osman: Thanks for that pointer, I hadn't considered that.

I had one other technique specific question. I had tried multiple ways to unwrap this sucker and cannot get rid of the seam that runs along the top of the wall where I put the center line (coming from cinematics I don't generally have to worry about tiling anything). Either I split the UV dead center at the top of the wall or I keep it together and get a seam where the back of the wall meets the top. Should I just build something on the top of the wall to hide the seam or is there some super tricky way of setting up my UVs?
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Depends on what kind of a wall it is. You could probably get away with creating a trim on top which most walls usualy have anyways. Do you have a screen perhaps?
  • damageINC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @osman: I'll try and post one later today....it's 4 am and I needs me some sleep. The wall is basically an L shaped affair and very basic. The tiling texture is kind of war torn middle eastern cobblestone or handmade brick so other than throwing more one off bricks up there I'm not sure what would be appropriate. We're talking middle of the desert construction.