Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Tower scene [UDK]

Replies

• FractaL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you could possibly pull off your first idea if you maybe added some variation with vertext colours!
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    When I was doing this scene I went with the single tiling texture and just chopped up the UVs to make it match. similar to your third plan - Total pain in the ass but its do able. I wasn't using normal maps though so seams were less of an issue.

imo Go with a single piece that you bake down.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    fairly certain that this will work in udk as well which might be something between 2 and 3. might be a fair bit of hassle to set up properly compared to the first option, but also more impressive from a technical standpoint. in my opinion at least.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Neat link, divl, thanks for sharing! Looking forward to seeing how you'll tackle this issue, Ganon. Everything's looking beautiful so far by the way. It's totally doing the concept art justice!! :D
  • Ganon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ganon polycounter lvl 7
    Hi polycounter and polycounteress, i made an little update of my scene :)

I made the wall and a part of the lvl building, the handrail and an update of the lighting.
    I also adjust the textures of tiles.

Here is the last update on UDK :

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7394495/WIP_tower_polycount/screen11.JPG

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7394495/WIP_tower_polycount/screen12.JPG

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7394495/WIP_tower_polycount/screen13.JPG

Here some sculpts :
    wall_sculpt.JPG

And here a flat (I made a semi-generic / unic texture with a tiled part) :
    wall_flat.JPG

Next step : the foliage and the cliff texture !

All your comments, opinions and criticisms are welcomed!

Thank you for watching my post !!
  • romy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    romy polycounter lvl 12
    Very good job ganon, keep going!
  • hoenheim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Epic thread o/
  • Ulwaen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice and mastering project!
    Could you show us some wireframe of your scene please?
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    So this is extremely nit-picking but I just noticed that your skeleton's fingers are spread which is impossible considering he doesn't have any muscles. Also his lower jaw would be missing at this point too. I realize its a cartoon so the jaw is fine, but the spread fingers just stand out as strange to me. Like you just didn't pose them.
    Looking absolutely gorgeous though!
  • Vilmore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vilmore polycounter lvl 4
    It's great that you are taking this all the way to the end :thumbup: :thumbup:

I would very much like to see your UDK material if you would be so nice!
  • Ganon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ganon polycounter lvl 7
    @ romy and hoenheim : special big thx to you two, for your help and encouragements !
    @ TorQue[MoD] : you've totally right. At real life, no bones can be "attach" without muscles / tendons etc. I think i gonna change for the hand :). Thx dude for you comment!
    @ Ulwaen and Vilmore : Look below :) specially for you :p. The tricount actual is +- 54K. I made some customs normals with shampher. It's taking a lot of tri but the shading and shape are more good. My material is really simple for "unic" assets.

The ropes and the skeleton take a lot of tris ..
    In the floor / wall / stairs, I put a lot the tri for the vertexblending
    mat02.JPG
    mat01.JPG
    wire01.jpg
    wire02.jpg
    wire03.jpg

Want more screens ? :) Just tell me !
  • Kyuuu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love where this scene is going! Breakdowns are always interesting to see. Thank you for sharing them! I'm looking forward to seeing more!
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Killing it man, Nice. Can't wait to see the final. What's in the plans for the area around the tower?
  • benlucas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benlucas polycounter lvl 5
    Damn !!! I am currently working exactly on the same thing ! From the same artwork of Artyom Vlaskin :)

You can imagine how much I was shocked when I saw this thread ! Wooow :poly121:

Good job, your work is clean and stick to the reference, and your props looks great in UDK :)

Mine is much cartoon like than yours, I'll show a screenshot as soon as I have a decent marmoset rendering !
  • Ganon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ganon polycounter lvl 7
    Sorry for the long times, i make a break with this project :). I going to post an update in 2/3 days !

@ Kyuuuu : thx ! See you in 2 / 3 days :p
    @ Gannon : Thx you dude. I would not do anything around the tower for the moment. I've got a "big" project.
    @ Benlucas : I was faster than you :p. I'm curious to see your project !
  • Ganon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ganon polycounter lvl 7
    Hi everyone!

I finished my project. I made a lot of screenshots for the occasion (I hope it's not a problem).

Here's ingame's screenshots:
    screen14.JPG
    screen15.JPG
    screen16.JPG
    screen17.JPG
    screen18.JPG
    screen19.JPG
    screen20.JPG
    screen21.JPG
    screen22.JPG
    screen23.JPG
    screen24.JPG
    screen25.JPGscreen26.JPG

Here some flats and sculpts:
    ivy.jpg
    cannon.JPG
    ivy_flat.JPG

If you want more pictures / screenshots OR if you have any recommendations / comments / opinion on this scene or advice for my future work, tell me!

The next step: finish my resume and finish my portfolio, look for work and start another project!

I want to thank Polycount for the platform, all Polycouters and Polycounteresses who have left comments. Particularly Romy, Texelion and Hoenheim for their help and support. Big big thank to Artyom Vlaskin, although it probably never read me! The concept art was a real pleasure to create in 3D.

Thank you and good work everyone!
  • Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Owl polycounter lvl 6
    Ganon, this turned out awesome! You did the concept a great service. Awesome Concept and excellent translation. You have really good texture and sculpting work. Honestly, I love all of it. There is only one thing I think you need to do with it, which is to cap off the bottom stair/wall where it looks like there are some open faces. The project looks SOOO good, it would be a shame to leave something small like that... to blemish it.

That's a small crit, and it really doesn't matter much, but it does detract a tiny bit from the beautiful piece you created!

Well done! Really enjoyed seeing this come together as this concept is one I have long had my eye on for turning to 3d too. I love his paintings!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Dropbox is blocked at work :(

Would it be possible to dump these to an imgur.com album? (drag from your desktop and drop it on the website when it loads. Instant album!)
  • Ganon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ganon polycounter lvl 7
    @Owl: Thank you Owl, you're right for the open faces ... Shame on me. I'm going to fix it for the portfolio :)

@adam: http://ganonart.imgur.com/ here you are :)!
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Freaking love it, this turned out fantastic :D I want to explore

Was there any parts that stick out that you found more challenging than another? how'd you tackle it?
  • Kyuuu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks fantastic! You definitely did justice to the original concept! :)
  • Yuke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yuke polycounter lvl 5
    Oooh wow! Absolutely love this scene! Love the art style, you nailed the concept! Great execution!
  • Ehsan Gamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ehsan Gamer polycounter lvl 6
    I was working on this scene and I gave up working because of u .

thanks .
  • Ganon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ganon polycounter lvl 7
    @ gannon: thank you ! I think the hardest part was the cliff texture. I restart a lot of times. Before starting, I thought that the skeleton would be a real challenge but it wasn't. Just take some ref .. It's not perfect, I totally suck on anatomy :p but I think that it's working for the scene. It must not be forgot that's my real first personal project therefore a good excercice for me :). Now, I will maybe remake the lighting ...

@ Kyuuu and Yuke : Thanks*! It's was my goal:)

@Ehsan Gamer: Ohw ... Please don't do that ... it must stay an exercise.
  • Ganon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ganon polycounter lvl 7
    Hey

If you are interested, I made my online portfolio. You can check that here : http://romainclesse.com

Thx for your participation on this thread !!
  • Johan3043
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This scene are insane man! Great work! I love the texture work :)
  • Ionixe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep the outline/cel shading, it makes it look more "stylized" and fun!
    Amazing work and it reminds me somewhat of DOTA2's or LoL's art direction.
    CHEERS! :D