Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dungeon: Dark Medieval

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Allan-p polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys! So after doodling a lot of gloomy retro posters I decided I want to try and prototype a game to convey something similar. I'm not much of a programmer,but I've been pointed to Construct 2. It just has the right enough tools to get me to prototype these ideas to see if they are fun or not.
The retro posters
K5iOGvo.jpg

ZYEOilf.jpg

```````
Tools used:
Stagelight (For intro music)
Famitracker( I love this tool so much, (for more 8bit music))
Construct 2
Photoshop
Sprinter Pro (going to purchase soon for animation)
SFXR (for sfx)

Current build:
-Menu
-Character Select (just one)
-Enter character name
-Basic level with scrolling
-Health Bar works (character will die)
-Basic AI (will work on this more)
-Basic spawn (just spawns a hell load of enemies on start..get ready for death!)
You can try it out here (works great with Chrome)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/197088437/Game/Platform/index.html

i7Zbj79.png

It5WF9c.png

Replies

• Nostradamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nostradamus polycounter lvl 18
    Do you have any thought on the gameplay? I'd say before you proceed with graphics, maybe think of a gameplay and make that fun before you try and put the coating on. If it isn't fun with really simple graphics, it probably wont be any more fun with pretty graphics.
    That said, the style seems really great.
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Nostradamus for the input! I placed those graphics in to understand the nuts and bolts of construct 2 (how behaviors, functions act and how they corresponding with mouse clicks,keyboard clicks)

I have a few notes on gameplay and will test them out soon and if fun, will integrate it.

As of right now I want to get the basic combat mechanics in:
    -Hit detection from player and enemy and health bar lowers correctly
    -Enemy behavior (patrol? line of sight? will pursue player continuously or to a certain point?)
    -Pacing (fast paced game, slow paced? will test these out)

In the far future what I have in mind is a light/torch system:
    Where the light illuminates the way in the dungeon, and you can light braziers to hold off enemies for a while, perhaps collect wood handles or cotton soaked in jelly to continue the flame.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    You did the posters ? Pretty cool stuff
    Just care where you cut them off, it looks like you made a screen of your image while missing out the border, and the second image has nearly no space on bottom , the text needs space on top and bottom #

You can make your vector type retro / grungy if you rasterize the text and then use filters>Disort>displacement , load in a PSD of a stone or whatever texture, put 1 or 2px in the field when it asks and ding! it looks like printed on paper
  • levigilbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are awesome and this is awesome. I really like your style; you have a great understanding of color and shape
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike: Cheers for the info man, I can't seem to find the .PSD to displace the text, but for future fake posters with large text like that I'll do it :), Those images were seeds planted in my brain to try and do a game like that.

levigilbert: Haha thanks man! Took a while to get here, but still a long way to go :) Practice, Practice, Practice!

Updated the game! Basic AI, and a few sound swaps. You can't attack yet, so either run away or DIE!

Also here's another poster I made (for a collective, they'll hang it around my city here), since my muse as of late is this dungeon glommy lone knight stuff, it reflects that haha.

ZKDM1LW.png