Home Technical Talk

Maya - polygons transparency sorting

wizz
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
wizz polycounter lvl 8
I know that this problem was discussed a lot but I still don't have good solution for it.

So the problem I have this time is with polygons transparency sorting while turning High Quality mode in viewport. Trasnsparency sorting just don't work.
I would like to see my textures with alpha channel and with all normal maps and specular map effect on it. But when transparency sorting don't work properly I have just one big mess in viewport. Using Viewport 2.0 for this won't work OR I just don't know how to set up it correctly.

Any help welcome. I will be gratefull for help.
Thanks and Cheers!

Replies

• Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    What have you tried with Viewport 2.0? Try changing the Transparency Algorithm under Performance.
  • wizz
    Offline / Send Message
    wizz polycounter lvl 8
    I've tried. Simple and Object Sorting don't work at all, and Weighted creates mess like on this image

mess.jpg
  • Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    If you have 2013 you should have Depth Peeling, an algorithm new to that edition of Maya. Otherwise, Maya has never been very good at rendering transparency...

Maybe there's a custom shader out there that treats transparency better? I think this one handles it better:

http://www.kostas.se/?p=30
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    There is no magic solution to Transparency, other then sort order. Usually the 'last' created mesh will look fine if it's over the previous mesh, but the moment you change your looking angle, it becomes a mess again.

Shader solutions only get worse from there due to their primitive methods of dealing with this, such as Cut/1Bit/AlphaTest, which creates jaggy edges around the the mask/transition zones between your Alpha mask the mesh it's sorting with.

If you're not doing anything complex, AlphaTest might be the solution, but it also might end up making it worse.
  • wizz
    Offline / Send Message
    wizz polycounter lvl 8
    Depth peeling don't work. Similar results like on the screen. So I will try then this shaders. But it's quite anoying, this trick can handle any simple game engine, but not software for that amount of money :\ I don't get this.

Thanks and Cheers!