Home General Discussion

Best way to unwrap environment

Hi I've modeled an interior from a concept posted on this forum (one of the failed noob monthly challenges choices) and I think I've done the unwrapping completely wrong.

What I did was setup the Photoshop grid and blockout all the colours I thought I'd need and then unwrap each invidual piece and move the uvws to the colour I assigned it in Photoshop, this however went terrible, I run out of space with the amount of assets in the scene and have many unique objects overlapping.

So how do I go about doing this? do I group all the objects add a uvw modifier and do it that way? I've watched a tutorial where he made his uvw map first and somehow predicted all the space he'd need, sadly he didn't explain why or how he knew exactly what he'd use.

Here's a screen to see what I'm working with.

a18lmCk.png

Replies

• SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    sounds like you need to learn to use tiled textures

-first choose a pixel density
    you can do this by applying a grid texture and applying a cube mapping and changing the mapping till it suits. but generally it would be 128 pixels per meter 256, 512 etc....
    - secondly choose your base materials floor walls and ceiling acreate tiling textures for these at the density you have chosen. you can remap as you go but try sticking as close to the density per meter as you can
    - thirdly look at the details that are left and start creating tiling but in one direction for things like: side boards, skirting boards, dado rails etc etc
    - forthly look at what remains of the details and they can be added to unique tpages (still keeping the density as close as possible)objects like the bin the clock etc

once all done you can compile unique Tpaged objects into larger textures for less drawcalls IF your objects are only intended for this location
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Shouldn't this be in the Technical Talk forum?

If you're just going to use solid colors throughout then wouldn't it be better to just create a material for each color and just have a non-overlapping uv-set for the lightmap, if you're going to have any.
    I find it hard to see though how you could run out of space for single colors as you could basically snap all the uv-coordinates to single pixels hand have about 8-16 pixels around for mip-map bleeding. That's also one of the reasons i think you should go with multiple materials. With mip-mapping there's the risk of the colors bleeding into eacher other.
  • GenericGoodGuy
    AimBiZ wrote: »
    Shouldn't this be in the Technical Talk forum?

If you're just going to use solid colors throughout then wouldn't it be better to just create a material for each color and just have a non-overlapping uv-set for the lightmap, if you're going to have any.
    I find it hard to see though how you could run out of space for single colors as you could basically snap all the uv-coordinates to single pixels hand have about 8-16 pixels around for mip-map bleeding. That's also one of the reasons i think you should go with multiple materials. With mip-mapping there's the risk of the colors bleeding into eacher other.

Oh I'm sorry, well I can't delete it so hopefully a mod moves it. The solid colours are just a blockout, so I know the basic colours of each asset, I want to hand paint all of the textures but I just don't know how to uvw map correctly for an environment. I think I should group all of the assets and add a uvw map and then adjust the uvws?
  • GenericGoodGuy
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    sounds like you need to learn to use tiled textures

-first choose a pixel density
    you can do this by applying a grid texture and applying a cube mapping and changing the mapping till it suits. but generally it would be 128 pixels per meter 256, 512 etc....
    - secondly choose your base materials floor walls and ceiling acreate tiling textures for these at the density you have chosen. you can remap as you go but try sticking as close to the density per meter as you can
    - thirdly look at the details that are left and start creating tiling but in one direction for things like: side boards, skirting boards, dado rails etc etc
    - forthly look at what remains of the details and they can be added to unique tpages (still keeping the density as close as possible)objects like the bin the clock etc

once all done you can compile unique Tpaged objects into larger textures for less drawcalls IF your objects are only intended for this location

Thanks that helps a lot.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    the way i know most do it (non modular envs)
    is add new material with you new texture to the desired part (EG stucco on walls)and then UVmap those polys... add another new material with a new texture and UVmap those... rinse and repeat

if working in max you can use the poly selection used when adding the amterial to isolate the polys in the UVW mapper by adding it when selected.

my workflow tends to be add material to polys - (with polys selected) add box modifier mapping - still with polys selected add UVW to straighten rotate and sticth to clean up

but yeas should be moved to technical