Home General Discussion

What makes an interesting and appealing character?

valuemeal
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
Just curious what type of character designs are the most appealing to you?

It seems as though many folks are interested in folks who are much to ideal; what is the deal with that? Is it what these people wish they were or what? I am really dying to know.

Replies

• aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I'm not a character artist but I enjoy seeing character models. I think characters that appeal to me are the ones with more apparel on them like a armor, a vest, helmet, weapon, etc. The ones that are just standing there are kind of boring.. I also think having a character standing in a mini environment adds on to design to me. Sorry if that wasn't much help :P
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    That's a tough question, valuemeal. For me, I have always looked up to the great sculptors of the past, Michelangelo, Bernini, and Rodin are among my all-time favorites. To at least some degree, the majority of their work seems to be obsessed with beauty and the ideal form.

I think this has rubbed off on me, quite a bit, to the point that its becoming a problem for me. I even did a character for a client recently that was supposed to be ugly, I thought I hit all of the marks in that department. Huge under-bite, check. Huge crooked teeth, check. Disgusted scowl, check. Tiny, pointy nose, check. I submitted progress shots for review, and the client couldn't have been happier with the character, with one exception, "He's too handsome, can you make him uglier?"

I think I'll make this the focus of my next personal project. If a client needs an ugly character, I need to be able to deliver.
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This isn't what I meant at all fellows.
    I am not talking about models, I'm talking about the characters themselves.
    I am talking about characters that people seem to fawn over the most,
    What makes those characters appealing?
    Why are they appealing?
    What type of character is the most appealing?
    What type aren't appealing?
  • CN.Kitsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i for one find characters that stand out more appealing, its boring to constantly see the typical soldier with a gun

i hope i answered that right.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
  • Meteora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meteora polycounter lvl 8
    There is no definite answer for your question. However in my opinion people have a desire to make beautiful people, because well beauty is something desirable. Its also arguably harder to make a beautiful yet believable character than it is to make a ugly one, though that depends on several criteria. Its just more appealing to the eye, we're constantly bombarded in the world what beauty is and what it means. Is it not human nature to like something that is beautiful?

Of course there is something more beautiful than just visuals. Its aesthetics. This is largely my own opinion because many other artists will probably have a differing one. For myself, I find sometimes models that look too ideal to be boring. The more ideal and supermodel-looking they become, the more dull they seem to me. Characters that appeal to me are believable characters with strong characteristics. However personality doesn't fall into the realm of visual arts. The best you can do is to incorporate some of their personality into their design to tell a story.

In my opinion you'd need to at least pose your character to breath some level of life instead of just T-posing it, because that doesn't really tell me about anything on who they are. Also having an environment to give context also really helps to sell the character a lot more.
  • mikhga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    For me, the characters I like the most, are the ones that are believable in the universe they are supposed to exist in. And what makes a character interesting for me is often how they develop their personality and how the choices they make are influenced by what is going on in their surroundings. This of course depends on what kind of emotions and story you are trying to convey, sometimes a character that seems completely out of place can be really interesting, for example in time travel scenarios.

In The Last of Us, as another example, I find almost all of the characters really believable and interesting because they look and act like they are grounded in their universe and they have enough character development to make me believe that they aren't just puppets on a string, and in my book that makes them good and interesting characters.
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    A great understanding of Fundamental Design creates great characters. All successful characters(visually) follow great design principals; color, shape, space, form, balance, scale & proportion, emphasis, etc.

If you want to learn what makes a character visually great, grab random characters and evaluate how clearly and well executed the Design Elements and Principles apply to each character.
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was asking what type of characters people found interesting individually based upon their preferences; I wasn't talking about design principles.
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    valuemeal wrote: »
    Why are they appealing?

As I said, the answer to all of these is great use of Design Elements and Principles. The answer you're "dying to know" is simply that. People love and respond well to great design. Everything after the fact; personality, age, gender, etc. follows the visual design.
  • MDj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDj polycounter lvl 6
    spiderDude wrote: »
    A great understanding of Fundamental Design creates great characters. All successful characters(visually) follow great design principals; color, shape, space, form, balance, scale & proportion, emphasis, etc.

If you want to learn what makes a character visually great, grab random characters and evaluate how clearly and well executed the Design Elements and Principles apply to each character.

Can anyone recommend some good books that deal with these matters, and how do these principles apply to characters..?
    Thanks
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    At its core I believe it goes far deeper than just the physical and artistic make up of the character. Rather its what the character does to you the player thats important...as from a design aspect, its what generates the emotional response required to actually care about that character...and care (whether they are the antagonist or protagonist) is key.

Take for example Aerith from Final Fantasy 7.

6z8qds.png

She is a fairly uninspiring character visually. Somewhat generic and all that.

Yet it is how she is used along side the main character, helping you in both gameplay and through the story arch she essentially triggers. You begin to rely on her, you see how she interacts with you the player and her struggle as you help her grow (level up). So when she dies (spoiler?), you really care about her and her death has impact primarily because of every interaction from the moment you met her to the point where you realize you cant interact with her anymore.

In the same vein, two characters build upon that kind of effect in recent games. Last of Us with Ellie and Bioshock with Elizabeth (both have similar names, Ellie possibly being short for Elizabeth...coincidence? I have no idea).

You care more about them because you start to rely upon them a bit, because their actions actively effect, help or even impede you as the player. You end up making choices on their decisions, even if its scripted as part of the story line.

So it comes back to emotional response, how to trigger it through the character and the way they interact with you the player.

Visually we have already become oversaturated with so many "cool" and "bad ass" characters that just looking at them doesnt quite do it. Sure we can get an emotional response from their design and artistic choices that they are made of, and even as artist we can have that response for technical accomplishments or memories tied to Nostalgia (drawing parallels between already liked characters from past games or experiences, and seeing similarities in new).

Those are the kinds of considerations I think you need when designing a good character. Pull from nostalgia, know the target audience, know the genre of game, taking risks to be different and original can also be rewarding...ultimately it comes down to bringing the character to life in a way to generate the emotional response via interactivity and story telling.
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    It seems like the common thread here is that memorable characters have the capacity to elicit a strong emotional response from the player. Through game-play/narrative (Dataday and mikhga) and aesthetically (spiderDude and Meteora). While the former are vitally important, it is the latter, that we, as visual artists, have the most direct control over.

So in that regard, I think spiderDude hit the nail on the head.

Elements:
    Line, Color, Shape, Texture, Space, and Form

Principles:
    Unity, Balance, Hierarchy, Scale/Proportion, Dominance/Emphasis, and Similarity/Contrast

If the elements are carefully guided by the principles - with deliberate intent to elicit an emotional response, the result will be a visually memorable work of art.
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was more so referring to what type of character would draw you into a game?
    Like if you knew nothing about the game, what type of character would more than likely draw you in?
  • Count Vertsalot
    An interesting character design is something that tells a story without words you instantly understand yet never seen before. It's all about clarity and wonderment topped off by good execution. You can't have a good idea and a single poorly executed piece, it won't work. You could have a great character and a dumb looking shoe because you didn't research shoes and it will ruin the whole thing.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    How to make a good lead character for a game:
    -Must be white
    -Must be between 25-35 years old
    -Must have a tragic backstory involving dead parents
    -Handsome
    -Stubble
    -Rough around the edges but eventually opens his soft gooey insides to the girl he loves
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Well, from what i get, you are not talking as much about actually visual design, but more about their personality and such?

If so, well, that's a good question. I myself like character that, as someone said, stand out in some way. Not just visually, but as personality. Also, it's good if it shows various emotions, that are believable, that helps a lot.

But, what is important to me, is that there is something intresting, unique about that character.

Dunno if you guys played this game, it's quite old (baldur's gate 2). but this Minsc character is one such example of character i just love:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozv1RcQJAHA"]Minsc and Boo - YouTube[/ame]

i mean just listen to it, this dude just SCREAMS character coolness....
    I mean, he's mighty strong warrior, with sort of russian accent almost, has funny look to it, doesn't look exactly like he's the brightest light around, and...he brings his...watch this..hamster....to his battles, and even talks to him...hack, even after like 15 years or what was it , i can still remember "go for the eyes Boo, go for the eyes!". :D

THAT, is what i love about character.

I will say though, some animes just have far better character then any AAA game out there if you ask me.
    For example, one particular character (code geass, main character):
    http://chibiotaku010.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/zero-lelouch-lamperouge-zero-5630913-2175-2560.jpg

Why do i like this character more then most game characters i played (do note, didn't play some of the latest games so things have probably changed a lot lately), you ask?

Well, it's quite simple. First, This guy has someone sad history, so he's pissed off as certain people, who are guilty for his sister being blind and on wheel chair, and hiding far away from her family and stuff.

So, his has this extremly carring relationship with her sister, he pitty her so much he'd do anything for, yet, he is also to put it simply, also this arrogant bastard, and a strategic master mind , all in one.

As the show goes, you see more and more if various side of him; there's this part of him who cares a lot of certain people, and yet there is this arrogant bastard who wouldn't hesitate to kill to protect that first group of people he cares about. Even if the people are innocent, doesn't matter.

They you see him playing his strategy like true mastermind, only to fail simply because of his arrogance. You would both see him while he's happy, annoying, straight out murderer, going to extreme to protect his sister (and such), then being sad and straight out deprresive.

And what strikes me the best, it's not just like author just through all sorts of emotion on him randomly, all those actually fits him perfectly.

And when you think about it, it makes perfect sense. People go throught all sorts emotions; when my grandpa died, and remember my relatives crying for entire day, yet when the night came, they would laugh like crazy...i guess they needed to vent out all the stress.

And this anime managed to capture this beautifully. just like my relatives, who in one day, had such a cotrasted emotions, so did this guy in anime, going from arrogant bastard to sad guy who bagged his enemy to spare his loved ones....and all sorts of other stuff like this.

Ahem, i'm a bit long so sorry for that, but, this is basically what i'd like to see on characters. There are situations that brings all sorts of emotions out of us, and yet when i play game, i just do see that (For the most part anyway). You get sad, you get angry, you get pissed off, you get hilarious and overly positive etc. And tha goes especially in tense situations, and games always have those. :P

There are exceptions, but they are rare. I think Mass effect trilogy had some characters that were quite close. But for the most part, they are kinda too..."one dimensional", if you get me.

Again, sorry for really long post, but i hope you understand what i mean.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    This isn't what I meant at all fellows.
    I am not talking about models, I'm talking about the characters themselves.
    Why are they appealing?
    I was asking what type of characters people found interesting individually based upon their preferences; I wasn't talking about design principles.
    I was more so referring to what type of character would draw you into a game?
    Like if you knew nothing about the game, what type of character would more than likely draw you in?

am i the only one who thinks no one is actually reading his questions...

all of these questions are subjective, so you might want to rephrase your thread title OR add a poll with specific character archetype choices for people to choose from.

for example, zombies, aliens, meaty guys, etc.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    List a bunch of characters that you think people fawn over the most.

From there, we can pick it apart and give you better feedback as to why we think they're appealing or not appealing

But speaking generally.. I find the underdog type character is what draws me in to most games. It's his/her ability to go up against all odds and somehow succeed eventhough everything is stacked against them.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    ^ That.
    We could guess all day at what you mean, examples help everyone.
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Characters who you can feel the emotion from, and they present themselves as a unique manner. Faith from mirror's edge and Heather from Silent hill 3 are probably top two female characters.
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM,StephenVyas,D4DC
    Capital idea fellows!

I always thought that people are often fawning over the pretty boys and girls
    as well as those tough guys fellows wish they could be.

I often hear about how cool those Gears folks are so cool,or how those DOA chicks are and that cammy person pretty. Also many of the female fellows seems to like the long haired girly fellows in games. What is the deal with that?

It seems as though bizzare mascot types with cool abilities are a dying breed outside of Nintendo.

Seriously when was the last AAA title starting one of these folks? I hear there is a title called Knack coming out for the PS4, but that seems to be it.

10-15 years ago, it seemed as though that was the bulk of the market in all genres.

What the heck is the deal?

Zocky

I know what you mean, and thanks for posting......I wrote long a rather long paragraph, but I accidentally went back a page. I agree with you, there are way too many blank slates and tough guys in today's games, what's the deal? I do feel as feel as though having a back story is crucial, but one doesn't always have to be a bitter fellow for the game to be cool. Also I haven't seen either of the titles you are refering to, so perhaps I should check them out.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    None of the above poll options?

A relatable and flawed person that has a different perspective on life than myself.

I'd be happy to see a lot less perfect, 25-30 year old, muscular, short haired male protagonists that "doesn't always play by the rules".
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    10-15 years ago, it seemed as though that was the bulk of the market in all genres.

What the heck is the deal?
    Demographics of players has changed a lot since then.

Technology has as well, the PS3/360 opened up a lot of doors for what types of visual styles were achievable on consoles.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    valuemeal,
    Well, while back story was important in case of that anime, it was also a lot about how heeacted in certain situations...He's not your generic good guy, he's pretty much antihero; he always kinda stay on the good side deep down, but he does so much horrific things that noone can look at him as hero, even though he would actually save world....

Also, if you plan to try it, baldur's gate 2 is really oldgame, top-down 2d rpg, but probably best from it's time. If you can forgive VERY outdated visuals and a bit weird gameplay elements for modern times, game really is a blast.

Regarding code geass...well, it's anime, so you kinda have to like those, cause they have this specific visual style that many might not like at all (myself included for a long time :P).

I forgot to mention....i didn't play farcry 3, but that bad guy they were showing off in trailers also looks very interesting to me....

And about chicks likeing long haired girl-ish dude....wasn't it always like that? I remember when LOTR came out, chicks were crazy about legolas....go figure. :P
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18