Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Revision

Mind Traveler
polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Mind Traveler polycounter lvl 16
In March I attempted to snag a job with Naughty Dog. I created this character here in effort to create on the level of their projects. I didn't get the gig but I did get some good feedback and also with the recent postings of the sculpts and art from 'The Last of US' I want revisit this guy in a better more knowledgeable attempt to hit the quality. C&C is welcome. Thanks. -Anwar

Real-Time Rendered in Marmoset
ABT-PC_ingame01.jpg
Hiphpoly Sculpt
ABT-PC_Highpoly01.jpg

Replies

• LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Awesome work dude. It's funny, I've just been playing the last of us 'factions' and as soon as i saw this dude it made me think of how he could be in a survivor-type gang.

If that's the kind of character your going for, perhaps a few more areas of damage to his face. He looks kinda fresh at the moment. Just subtle additions like skin tone variation, slight bruising or blotchyness, maybe some cuts?

I'd also look at adding some minor details to his clothing. A few alphas on the shoulders for some frayed material would fit quite nicely.

Overall, he's a really cool looking character. Well done with it all. Especially the warn expression and beard.

Keep pushing it forward. Only a matter of time before your at Naughty Dog!

All the best :)
  • Mind Traveler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lankus Maximus, Thank you for feedback, moving onto clothes now that I've done some work on the face, I will definitely be revamping the clothes and hopefully adding some good details.

Here is a shot of the revision I have done on the face thus far. Cheers. -Anwar

ABT_Face-Sculpt_revised01.jpg
  • Mind Traveler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revised sculpt complete. Revising ingame next, Cheers. -Anwar

ABT_Full-Sculpt_revised01.jpg
  • Mind Traveler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Onto real time now. Cheers. - Anwar

HIghPoly Revision complete
    ND_Modelsheet01.jpg

Revised sculpt VS Original sculpt
    ND_RevisionSheet01.jpg
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    much much nicer, it looks fuller, fleshier and overall aesthethically pleasing. good stuff!
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    The revision looks great. The detail added in his face and jacket give a personality and background to the character.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    I think the jacket texture is the biggest problem they had
    It looks really low resolution and somewhat stylized and hand painted, but not realistic and the material definition is not really what id expect when seeing the high poly, maybe rather leather or something, it dosnt really convince me. The detail looks painted on, not like actual form

Also the eyes and the mouth look painted, everytrhing looks a bit comic

And things like ambient occlusion under the left zipper metal thing, that may sound silly, but people are expecting you to impress with small detail. Its the sum of the small things that make it a good work.

I think the modeling is pretty well, its the texturing holding you back
  • Mind Traveler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. Thanks for the feedback.
    Shrike: I totally agree with your critiques. I am working on revising all of that this time around.

As follows is a polypaint pass I did in zbrush. Should have a bake to realtime soon and will continue to iterate on texture on the real time model. Feedback is appreciated. Cheers. -ABT
    ND_polypaintwip.jpg
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Great improvements man! Looking forward to more.