Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dumb Brute Soldier- SubD character skillz.

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
Need to learn all this stuff properly so i'm diving straight in.

This is what i've got so far.

2bpVf.jpg

My sketch.

I also did a speed sculpt in z just to place everything.
49hmu.jpg

Replies

• Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    GYC13.jpg

Coming along, i think i need to try and drag in more solid shapes to contrast the organic forms.
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    I tlike the proportions of the original ZSketch, they look pretty solid and cool.

I think some of the plates, particularly the chest and shoulder plates right now are reading as a little lumpy. Perhaps look into sharpening some of those edges (similar to what you have done with the helmet).

Good luck :).
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    9qZlq.jpg

Cheers bro, Getting through that :D
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Looks like it’s going to be a fun piece to work on Muzz but I'm sad to see the coat collar in the concept has got cut. Maybe it could still factor in some way. As for the helmet/Headgear I feel it’s lacking in the back area and what you have now seems like the front panel, especially when you read the curved line of the helmet.

Good luck.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers bro, i beefed up the collar, you were right, it's much better now.

I'll attack the back of the head in the morning :).

3Idm3.jpg
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn i'm slow at this stuff, i made the head thinner to help match the concept better.
    e7DL2.jpg
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    I wanted the collar to be more cloth covered kevlar so this is an experiment.

MhsIJ.jpg
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    First pass on that jacket. Think i need to do some fold practice.

iSZ9U.jpg
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the wonderful lack of of feedback... totally pushing me to do this. Your lack of caring just makes me stronger.

Ok so i wasn't quite happy with the flow and proportions of the model, so i'm going to do a reset on the project.

X2zph.jpg

This is the new blockout.
  • okno
    I'm surprised this hasn't got more replies. I think it's probably a good idea of yours to start again to try and get the shape perfect before working on the subd details. I prefer the shape of the head in the concept sketch, it seems narrower than you've got it now, and with more defined corners at the top-front and chin. Keep posting updates
  • wizo
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    lol, lack of caring. I liked what you had, but yeah If you don't like the global proportions, there is no point in continuing adding some details, it was cool but somewhat different to the initial idea.
    I've done that countless times lol.

Do you ever use zbrush image plane or spotlight to keep the modelling as closely as possible to the concept?
    Try putting the model over the sketch in transparency and see what needs to be corrected.

I'd try to nail that head and coat shape asap, the rest will fall into place

I am sure its gonna look good in the end, you have great skills, good luck!
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Hey Muzz.

In terms of proportion, I think the speed sculpt is the best looking by far. It looks like a muscular guy with well fitting armor. It seems like the character/armor grew when he was separated into separate ztools/subtools. From my perspective he's lost the muscular form and looks like he's put on 30 pounds in the stomach and leg area. He doesn't look quite as agile anymore.

From looking at your other threads you are awesome at drawing/sketching. Have you tried quickly sketching out the guy who would be under all of the armor? Where his muscles would be and the proportions? I think wrapping the armor around that way could help.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooray feedback!

Okno, cheers bro!

Wizo, hmm, i rather not do that as i need practice doing it by eye. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Dkk, yeah i haven't done much high poly stuff, and my main issue is translating my 2d skill over to 3d, so it's taking a bit to make it all match up!

Beef, The goal here was for a giant coated character who is really heavy and not really mobile, so if that's what you got from the sculpt it just shows how bad a job i did!
    Also he is a cyborg, so realistic proportions aren't a goal here :). thanks though!

Anyhow proportion blockout i think i'm happy with.
    tkiM5.jpg
  • StephenVyas
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    I like the proportions, which remind me of the robots from Fifth Element.
    Looks like a fun character to be working on. can't wait to see s'more
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Muzz wrote: »
    Beef, The goal here was for a giant coated character who is really heavy and not really mobile, so if that's what you got from the sculpt it just shows how bad a job i did!
    Also he is a cyborg, so realistic proportions aren't a goal here :). thanks though!

Ah, sorry about that. There wasn't much of a backstory to the character so I kind of made one up myself. Maybe edit your original post with some more information on the character so you can receive a more focused crit.

Good luck on the project.